Helena KDE CE update

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by Airdack »

My Linux is always using some space on the swap file, even if its just 2 MB ... I guess that´s what you are talking about?

saquerocl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saquerocl »

Aquí podrán encontrar una explicación detallada acerca de cómo distribuir las particiones del disco duro.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

Lin-Unix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lin-Unix »

This is a good link. I did an Babelfish translation:

"Here they will be able to find a detailed explanation about how distributing the partitions of the hard disk."

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872
Steve

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore »

Ah!
Yes, that's where I got it.
I remember it being a forum post, but I thought it was at maximumoverclockers

Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Airdack »

I am wondering, if I will install the RC1 of the KDE CE, will I be able to upgrade simple to the final version later on, or will I need to reinstall my entire OS?

Thanks in advance :)

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

RC to final will be able to be done by package upgrade.

Unless you love installing fresh every time.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

fthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fthomas »

Will we be able to upgrade from Mint 7 KDE to Mint 8 KDE ?

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore »

Is there an ETA for this yet?
Has your guy Clem returned a verdict for it?

smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smsmith »

blazemore wrote:Has your guy Clem returned a verdict for it?
Your guy Clem... now THAT was funny. :D
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric »

fthomas wrote:Will we be able to upgrade from Mint 7 KDE to Mint 8 KDE ?
As this is a debian based distro, the answer should be yes with no equivocation. But, I would do it final to final, not final to rc to final, but that is my paranoia.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

rom515
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rom515 »

I am so thankful for the LinuxMint Team. I am 2 years into Linux and have tried many flavors of Linux of which all did not fair well with my hardware setup for both my custom desktop and custom laptop. While some worked okay I Just found LinuxMint easy to use right out of the box. And, since I am not partial to either Gnome or KDE, I have regularly tried both, but find myself wanting to use KDE more and more, due to the nature of what I use computers for. I am almost completely migrated over from MS Windows, but do not think I will completely let go unless I can find a way to get my QuickVerse Platinum 2010 to work. This is the only app holding me back, mainly because nothing else out there that is free compares to this program; and, I cannot find a Linux version comparable either that is commercial. I recently migrated all my DVD backup software over, which has taken me quite a long time to move away from MeGUI to now Handbrake for Linux. But, I am extremely happy with Linux so far. And, the best part is that LinuxMint has made this transition the most enjoyable out of all the major Distros out there. Best part is, no more crashes, no more blue screens, and no more fuss. LinuxMint just works. Keep up the good work guys. LinuxMint truly is a Gem and I hope will become the standard within the Linux world and community.

drewkeller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drewkeller »

My dad had QuickVerse back in the DOS days. He's been using e-Sword for several years and I use it occasionally. I see they have the online version up now (http://live.e-sword.net/). If you google, there seems to be plenty of people who use e-Sword on Linux via Wine. I'm not sure how it stacks up against QuickVerse these days.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

rom515 wrote:I am almost completely migrated over from MS Windows, but do not think I will completely let go unless I can find a way to get my QuickVerse Platinum 2010 to work.
Have you tried Wine or VirtualBox? Between the two, they've allowed me to use (almost) all the last remnants of Windows-only software on Linux that I'm still forced to use.

Joe

vinnievegas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinnievegas »

rom515 wrote:I am almost completely migrated over from MS Windows, but do not think I will completely let go unless I can find a way to get my QuickVerse Platinum 2010 to work. This is the only app holding me back, mainly because nothing else out there that is free compares to this program; and, I cannot find a Linux version comparable either that is commercial.
Have a look at Xiphos http://xiphos.org/ It works great. If you are on mint 7 right now, you will have to add ppa to your repo sources, but that website give you a deb file that will do it for you. Just click the download link and it explains it very well. Please check it out. It is worth a try. Once mint 8 KDE comes out, Xiphos is already in the repos. No need to add any ppa's.

They also have a channel on IRC. in freenode #xiphos they can help you on any questions you may have.

rom515
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rom515 »

Thanks everyone. I will give it a go tomorrow. I would really like to get rid of MS Windows altogether and also not have to give up Quickverse. E-sword is great but the tools in Quickverse are invaluable, especially all the Greek and Hebrew resources to learn the original language and all of the commentaries as well. I just wish R.C. Sproul was a part of the package. Again, thank you for your suggestions, because I truly want to leave Windows and make Mint my only O.S.

vinnievegas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinnievegas »

rom515 wrote:Thanks everyone. I will give it a go tomorrow. I would really like to get rid of MS Windows altogether and also not have to give up Quickverse. E-sword is great but the tools in Quickverse are invaluable, especially all the Greek and Hebrew resources to learn the original language and all of the commentaries as well. I just wish R.C. Sproul was a part of the package. Again, thank you for your suggestions, because I truly want to leave Windows and make Mint my only O.S.
Xiphos has everything you need. Greek and Hebrew resources, and several several commentaries.

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore »

Check out http://www.osalt.com/ to find open source alternatives to popular commercial products.

warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by warriorpoet »

Funnily enough I gave up Quickverse for Xiphos. For my purposes Xiphos is the superior product- regardless of [substantial] price difference.

rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

A question for Boo?!!!!

Hey, Boo, how does it feel to have totally & irrecoverably lost control of your "Update Announcement Only" thread?!! :lol: 13 pages & still going strong !! :roll:

Oh, well, I've had this little 20Gb empty partition sitting at the front of this machine since late December just waiting for this thread to announce "It is on the mirrors!" I'm sure it will be worth every second of the wait.

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gravelbay »

rhodry wrote:A question for Boo?!!!!

Hey, Boo, how does it feel to have totally & irrecoverably lost control of your "Update Announcement Only" thread?!! :lol: 13 pages & still going strong !! :roll:

Oh, well, I've had this little 20Gb empty partition sitting at the front of this machine since late December just waiting for this thread to announce "It is on the mirrors!" I'm sure it will be worth every second of the wait.

Rhodry.
That's the announcement I'm waiting for too. While I wait, I'm installing Xiphos. 8)
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

Return to “KDE”