Helena KDE CE update

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by warriorpoet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 am

Funnily enough I gave up Quickverse for Xiphos. For my purposes Xiphos is the superior product- regardless of [substantial] price difference.

rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm

A question for Boo?!!!!

Hey, Boo, how does it feel to have totally & irrecoverably lost control of your "Update Announcement Only" thread?!! :lol: 13 pages & still going strong !! :roll:

Oh, well, I've had this little 20Gb empty partition sitting at the front of this machine since late December just waiting for this thread to announce "It is on the mirrors!" I'm sure it will be worth every second of the wait.

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gravelbay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

rhodry wrote:A question for Boo?!!!!

Hey, Boo, how does it feel to have totally & irrecoverably lost control of your "Update Announcement Only" thread?!! :lol: 13 pages & still going strong !! :roll:

Oh, well, I've had this little 20Gb empty partition sitting at the front of this machine since late December just waiting for this thread to announce "It is on the mirrors!" I'm sure it will be worth every second of the wait.

Rhodry.
That's the announcement I'm waiting for too. While I wait, I'm installing Xiphos. 8)
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

roshanpius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roshanpius » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:10 am

rhodry wrote:A question for Boo?!!!!

Rhodry.
Talking about losing control of the thread .. we've had pretty much every topic discussed on this thread right from open source development philosophy to kde4 network manager problems to opens-source "quickverse" alternatives. It's really interesting to go back through all the discussions that have gone through this thread(i think Husse had to remove some offending posts also in between :))...

And now i think there seems to be a calm before the big announcement... Been waiting with bated breath for the Release announcement through this thread for almost a month now...I'm sure it will be worth the wait...
Currently using Kubuntu 9.10(with KDE 4.4 beta), Mint Helena(Gnome), OpenSuse11.2(with KDE 4.3.4)

Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Airdack » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 am

Too bad this didnt reach this thread yet:

http://twitter.com/linux_Mint

seems we will have to wait a bit longer, RC1 wasnt approved by Clem, some bugs were fixed and the iso will be tested again :)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:46 am

Well - it's not fun to see that a topic is littered with all kinds of (mostly) more or less irrelevant posts
Is it that hard to read the name of the topic and a bit of the first post by Boo and keep on the subject
And we're working hard to get a release soon - the devil is in the details they say.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aelfinn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 am

Husse wrote:And we're working hard to get a release soon - the devil is in the details they say.....
I for one would love to know a little more about the testing process. Do you have a sort of checklist? What are the kinks that still need ironing out?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am

We have a large document specifying the tests needed
We're dealing with things like mime types in Firefox, APT policy and the removal of Ubiquity and a few things (less than half a dozen)

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Can you not tell Firefox to use KDE's equivalent of gnome-open (kde-open?) for ALL download types?

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:18 pm

blazemore wrote:Can you not tell Firefox to use KDE's equivalent of gnome-open (kde-open?) for ALL download types?
kde-open does exist in the KDE4 runtimes, but kfmclient or xdg-open is a better option:
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

mlippert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mlippert » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:22 pm

From that posted twitter page http://twitter.com/linux_Mint:
LinuxMint-8-KDE-DEV-048.iso uploaded to the team, fixes 8 bugs.

Which is great news. Linux Mint 8 KDE seems so close to release I can practically taste it!

Also I assume that there is a mailing list/irc/forum somewhere for the devs where suggestions on possible solutions to issues would be heard, but I don't think this forum is one of them.

I do appreciate the testing progress updates, as well as the short synopsis of current blocking issues which force a new build, so please continue those!

Mike

SteelShepherd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SteelShepherd » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm

So am I correct in assuming that I will see an announcement on this thread first?

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

The mimetypes issue in Firefox is solved (actually one of the easier fixes). There is a support package that needed to be installed. Evidently Kubuntu missed out on this as well due to some reports of this being an upstream issue. Regarding the testing, there's a VERY BIG sheet that covers maybe 25% of the issues that the actual testing does.
I'm on Twitter: @kendalltristan
My website: kendalltristan.com
My blog: blog.kendalltristan.com

aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aelfinn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Kendall wrote:Regarding the testing, there's a VERY BIG sheet that covers maybe 25% of the issues that the actual testing does.
Okay, so which bugs are down and which still need to be hacked out of their misery?

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:10 pm

aelfinn wrote:Okay, so which bugs are down and which still need to be hacked out of their misery?
We'va been looking at a possible logout bug, something with the Delete script, and some issues with the OEM installation mode. Personally I'm of the opinion that this is ready, but that's my opinion and other members of the team may disagree or find other potential issues. Honestly I'd rather do too much testing than not enough.
I'm on Twitter: @kendalltristan
My website: kendalltristan.com
My blog: blog.kendalltristan.com

Sheepeh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sheepeh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Kendall wrote:Honestly I'd rather do too much testing than not enough.
Agreed. While it probably is "good enough" for most members here to use, once you start saying "Oh, it's good enough. We'll sort anything else out later!" it's a slippery slope.

Much respect to all that've put work in to making sure everything works as it's supposed to and resisted the temptation to just put it out because it mostly works and we're all awaiting it. I'll be upgrading my KDE Mint 7 to 8 as soon as it goes "final" (Indeed, I'll probably get antsy and install the RC from my MP3 player as I only have one spare writeable DVD!).

I'm just glad that you guys are making sure Mint's reputation doesn't get tarnished through "Doing a *buntu" and letting silly bugs through when you know the fixes!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 pm

We have everything but the oem install covered. I approved this after Kendall confirmed the log off issue to be Virtualbox related. The oem install should not impact a release candidate but it needs to be addressed for the final release.

Sheepeh, I wish everyone shared your point of view. Thank you very much for posting your thoughts on this release. We do not want our quality to slip, we want you to have the very best system possible.

warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by warriorpoet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:01 am

exploder, that is exactly why I use Mint.

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 am

But if you need more testing of a few bugs, you can release a Release Candidate just to get them nailed.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 am

I think that now it's only the approval by Clem that's missing :)

Return to “KDE”