Helena KDE CE update

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tank116
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by tank116 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

well i had a few issues burning it to disk at first but now that i got that fixed and installed i am very pleased with it. poked around with a few things last night and found it to very stable and also the fastest os on my rig yet. also worth a mention is the mint update is now much faster than before and the new installer worked well with the exception that it automatically wanted to download language packs during the install but other than that i love it and it was worth every bit of the wait.

Thank you to the KDE CE team for a job well done i am very impressed with it, fast, functional and clean just the kind of work i have come to expect from the Mint KDE CE team! keep up the good work

running a arima dual opteron 240 server with 2 gig ram, onboard ati rage xl 8meg

kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Airdack wrote:
Mozzer wrote:Att. Airdack and Cage,

Hi, I had the exact same problem as you.. First time I had it aswell... Try pressing the tab button to edit the start up, and add this to the line, nosplash - it did the trick for me.. Might help you aswell...
The line says quiet splash now ... so I should change this into quiet nosplash?
Hi Airdack

just delete "quiet splash"
it worked well for me but not foor the sound
it's still very quiet around my laptop....

greet
kage

Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Airdack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes! That worked ... I am enjoying my beatiful Mint8 KDE right now :D I will post this into the KDE RC bug thread so others with this problem can fix it as well ... and Boo should be alerted too I guess :)

Seventh Reign
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seventh Reign » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 pm

There are wayy too many replies to check if this has been mentioned already. It probably has, but I guess it cant hurt to make sure.

I'm running the Mint 8 KDE RC1 in VBox right now. It is absolutely beautiful. As Mint always is. I just have a few 'issues' that dont seem to make sense to me

*Gwenview and DigiKam both installed
*Amarok and Songbird both installed
*Gnome MPlayer installed

Aside from that and the fact that We'll probably never see a 64 bit version so I'll never actually be able to install this system .. I love it.

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi,

Right now dowloading the Mint KDE 8 iso via torrent from btjunkie.

Thanks

fubaseca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fubaseca » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Seventh Reign wrote:There are wayy too many replies to check if this has been mentioned already. It probably has, but I guess it cant hurt to make sure.

I'm running the Mint 8 KDE RC1 in VBox right now. It is absolutely beautiful. As Mint always is. I just have a few 'issues' that dont seem to make sense to me

*Gnome MPlayer installed

Aside from that and the fact that We'll probably never see a 64 bit version so I'll never actually be able to install this system .. I love it.
Really? I thought the 64 bit version was almost ready as well. And besides, I think you'd have no problem installing it to your system. I'm using it with a core 2 quad (64 bit processor).

gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gravelbay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 pm

fubaseca wrote:
Seventh Reign wrote:There are wayy too many replies to check if this has been mentioned already. It probably has, but I guess it cant hurt to make sure.

*Gnome MPlayer installed

Really? I thought the 64 bit version was almost ready as well. And besides, I think you'd have no problem installing it to your system. I'm using it with a core 2 quad (64 bit processor).
I'm pretty sure that it's stated in this thread that the 64-bit KDE Helena should be right on the heels of the 32-bit version. I'm trying to resist the temptation to d/l the 32-bit version to check out what it's like because I don't want to have to install it again when the 64-bit one arrives.
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:41 pm

gravelbay wrote:
fubaseca wrote:

*Gnome MPlayer installed

I'm pretty sure that it's stated in this thread that the 64-bit KDE Helena should be right on the heels of the 32-bit version. I'm trying to resist the temptation to d/l the 32-bit version to check out what it's like because I don't want to have to install it again when the 64-bit one arrives.
It is according to the dev team.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 pm

clem is finishing the 64bit and the release notes while i am at linux.conf.au.
There will be a 64bit version.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:02 am

I OBJECT !

How do you download images from a digicamera that can NOT be mounted like a USB storage drive? There are many cameras like that.
Digikam can import these - and NICELY - it is a mature app.
Gwenview cannot (at least I have searched through the entire menue - there is nothing).

On the other hand, Gwenview has more options to handle / manipulate images, I think. No feature parity at all between these 2 apps!
A KDE system is always more full-featured than, say, a fluxbox / XFCE or even Gnome system.

KEEP BOTH APPS - I'm lovin KDE mint the way it is.

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 am

Quick question, I'm using Banshee which is a GTK app.
How can I get my multimedia keys to work with it?
They work with Amarok, and they work with Banshee on Gnome.

Thanks!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Support questions in a support topic please
I think it's time to abandon this topic now that Helena KDE RC1 is officially released
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “KDE”