Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinnievegas

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by vinnievegas »

arjay wrote:If a newbie friend of yours wanted to try linux and mint was not available, what would you give him (must be kde, and something he can then stay with for a good while)?

RJ
I would recommend PCLinuxOS. Its based on mandrake, and it comes with kde as default desktop. Its a rolling release which means as long as you install the updates, you will always have the current version. Its designers have pretty much the same goal. A ready to use out of the box Linux distro that plays all the media formats and ready for flash.
"PC" stands for "Point and Click"
Its actually easier than mint. Its what I started out on.
Mint is a tad bit more complicated.
dequire

Post by dequire »

legendkiller wrote:nice to read about the recent updates and i hope it turns out as good as the gnome version,which in my view is the simplest and most reliable distro around.

If i can make a suggestion,can the menu be changed to be more easy to use,like in mandriva?
I find myself honestly almost never using the menu now. <alt><F2> to launch KRunner, type the first 2 letters of the app, and press enter! Blindingly fast once done a few times. As a bonus, KRunner now searches Firefox / Konqueror history as well, so frequently-viewed websites can be launched faster this way as well.

Of course, there are many menu options in KDE as well, including Lancelot, which is now (as of 4.4 beta) installed and usable in 2 or 3 clicks.
warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet »

vinnievegas wrote:
arjay wrote:If a newbie friend of yours wanted to try linux and mint was not available, what would you give him (must be kde, and something he can then stay with for a good while)?

RJ
I would recommend PCLinuxOS. Its based on mandrake, and it comes with kde as default desktop. Its a rolling release which means as long as you install the updates, you will always have the current version. Its designers have pretty much the same goal. A ready to use out of the box Linux distro that plays all the media formats and ready for flash.
"PC" stands for "Point and Click"
Its actually easier than mint. Its what I started out on.
Mint is a tad bit more complicated.
The biggest problem with PCLOS, for me, is it doesn't recognize any of my SATA controllers- on any of 4 different computers! It's also pretty behind the times on features, and is less likely to have updated packages/ new programs easily available.

Give me Mint any day.

This M8KDECE release is going to be great!
bernado

Post by bernado »

The guys from PCLinuxOS are working on 2010 release !! Kernel 2.6.32 is in testing and will the default Kernel hopefully :)
So we will have Mint CE and PCLinuxOS available this week and everybody can check those distros (all live CD) and decide himself which one is "the best" 8)
http://identi.ca/pclinuxos/all

Bernado
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I was wondering what KDE version will be used on M8KDE? I've been missing around with openSUSE 11.2 a bit, and upgraded to I believe 4.3.85 (4.4). Pretty stable for the most part. Has some neat features.

NeilM
kage

Post by kage »

NeilM wrote:I was wondering what KDE version will be used on M8KDE? I've been missing around with openSUSE 11.2 a bit, and upgraded to I believe 4.3.85 (4.4). Pretty stable for the most part. Has some neat features.

NeilM

Hi and Wellcome!

Boo, has stated that KDE 4.3.4 will be the desktop. When KDE 4.4 comes out and hits the ubuntu repo's it will be also available in Mint

Opensuse btw has already upgraded to 4.3.90. Thats the RC1 of 4.4

greetz
kage
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

kage wrote: Opensuse btw has already upgraded to 4.3.90. Thats the RC1 of 4.4

greetz
kage
They've only done that with the Factory (testing) version of openSUSE.

So far the latest stable KDE for openSUSE is 4.3.4
legendkiller

Post by legendkiller »

yup,its with their daily 11.3 build :D
warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet »

bernado wrote:The guys from PCLinuxOS are working on 2010 release !! Kernel 2.6.32 is in testing and will the default Kernel hopefully :)
So we will have Mint CE and PCLinuxOS available this week and everybody can check those distros (all live CD) and decide himself which one is "the best" 8)
http://identi.ca/pclinuxos/all

Bernado
Neither are "best". Both are better suited to different needs/ likes/ preferences. That's the beauty of Linux.

Is all the other distro talk popping up in this thread weird to anyone else?
bernado

Post by bernado »

Well, just a little bit bridging time - like christmas when waiting for the present :lol:
I know there is no "the best" Linux Distro. Linux itself is "the best" for me ! :wink:

Bernado
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

IMO Mint is the best distro.
It's easy to use, the easiest out of the box, and has all the power of Debian/Ubuntu there.
For better or for worse, Debian based distros are the focus of nearly all Linux blogs and tutorials, even in magazines, so it's handy to have this as a backend.
vortexmak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vortexmak »

Guys, any idea when this is coming ?

I want to install KDE CE, just tried Linux Mint GNOME and didnt like it that much . KDE looks promising.

Is there a lot of difference between the KDE original , Kubuntu and Mint KDE CE?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Clem is testing it now - soon
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

vortexmak wrote:Guys, any idea when this is coming ?

I want to install KDE CE, just tried Linux Mint GNOME and didnt like it that much . KDE looks promising.

Is there a lot of difference between the KDE original , Kubuntu and Mint KDE CE?
I'm using Mint 7 KDE on my laptop. The biggest difference I've noticed between that and the KDE that came with OpenSUSE is that Mint gives you lots of nifty tools that are not standard with KDE itself. Maybe someone will be along later with more details.

I'm not that crazy about Gnome either, but that's what I'm running on my desktop machine till Boo gets the 64 bit KDE Mint 8 ready for us. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve! :P
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

So is the 64-bit version likely to be released at the same time?
I have 4GB RAM, so really should use it, but I'll use the 32 bit version if it comes out first.

By the way, did you know if you have 4gb RAM on a 64-bit system, any large swap partition is wasted, as the system can't address more than 4gb of total memory (Not just RAM!)
However, the kernel expects a swap partition, so you should allocate roughly 256kb (any more is wasted space)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

there is also a 32bit PAE kernel that can address more than 4GB or RAM.
I found it updated one of my systems automaticly some how.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Just out of interest, is the 32 bit version i686?
roshanpius

Post by roshanpius »

Are we getting an RC first? or are we going for a straight release?
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

blazemore wrote:However, the kernel expects a swap partition, so you should allocate roughly 256kb (any more is wasted space)
How does it expect that? I'm running a machine with 2gb of ram without any swap space, and everything seems to be just fine.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard it's better to run with a negligible swap partition than none at all. Like I said though, I can't remember where. Swap file works too, by the way.

Return to “Software & Applications”