Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Airdack

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by Airdack »

MD5: 011e30de612adeccaa555da16c4ff0c6
kage

Post by kage »

Hi there

My probs are very much the same as Airdack. Also is my hardware. Slightly older but also a ati card single processor and the same audio.
I had the same probs with Helena 8 Gnome. Couldn't get my audio to work either

I managed to install CEkde rc1 by choosing the compatibillity mode but after install i cannot get my resolution higher then 1152x864. My screen should be 1440x900. Also my sound is dead, exactly the way it was with Helena

Somebody ideas how to handle this ?

checksum was oke and it burned well

Mint KDE 7 runs very good on this laptop.

Greetz
kage
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

Got it installed. I have a separate partition for '/home'. Before I installed, I deleted all hidden files except the ones for the programs that I use regularly, like thunderbird, deluge, and xchat. All is AWESOME!!!!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please, please, do not use this topic for support, make new topics for that
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

blazemore wrote:I'm very sorry to announce this, but I uploaded the wrong torrent to this site. MD5 does not match.
MD5 hashes most definitely DO MATCH. All is well. Installing now. :)

Thanks so much, Boo! :)
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

A torrent of the Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 is up on btjunkie.org. Please help seeding.
Last edited by aelfinn on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozzer

Post by Mozzer »

Att. Airdack and Cage,

Hi, I had the exact same problem as you.. First time I had it aswell... Try pressing the tab button to edit the start up, and add this to the line, nosplash - it did the trick for me.. Might help you aswell...
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

aelfinn wrote:A torrent of the Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 is up on btjunkie.org.
If you have already downloaded the iso, please get the torrent and point it to your iso file to help seeding. Much appreciated!
mince'n'tatties

Post by mince'n'tatties »

roshanpius

Post by roshanpius »

I'm downloading the iso from the ftp server as i write this(it's around 79% now). I'm waiting eagerly to overwrite my buggy Kubuntu 9.10 with Mint 8 Kde. So what are the early impressions from those who have already installed it?
Was it worth the wait?
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

Of course it was worth the wait. Congratz guys on an awesome job. This out does all previous releases in my opinion. I waited patiently, and was rewarded well ;)
choupique

Post by choupique »

Great here, wireless, sound, all functions working. Running it for a couple of hours now on 5 year-old dell laptop. Used karmic USB creator from ubuntu desktop, installed perfectly w flash drive.
KDE 4.3.4 seems so much better than what I tried only a few months ago. I was running crunchbang on this laptop, but think I'll keep Linux Mint KDE 8. Thanks for a great release.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Wireless working, sound working
So far only one annoyance, Gnome Network Manager wants to use Gnome Keyring. I have my desktop set to log in automatically, and it doesn't unlock the keyring, I have to type the password in every time.

Does anyone know the easiest way to upgrade to new stable versions of Firefox (when they are released by Mozilla)?
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

I'm very very VERY happy to hear that mint-kde 8 will have Gnome Network-manager. It's the only utility that permitted me to share an internet connection very easy.
Thank to the team!! :D
Lorion

Post by Lorion »

blazemore wrote:Wireless working, sound working
So far only one annoyance, Gnome Network Manager wants to use Gnome Keyring. I have my desktop set to log in automatically, and it doesn't unlock the keyring, I have to type the password in every time.

Does anyone know the easiest way to upgrade to new stable versions of Firefox (when they are released by Mozilla)?
I've done the following to get the Gnome Keyring work for me:
If you've already used the keyring (eg WiFi WPA etc.) delete the keyring and then add the following to /etc/pam.d/kdm:

Code: Select all

auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
this should be it!

Easiest way to use newer Mozilla-Versions (Thunderbird, Firefox): ubuntuzilla
Airdack

Post by Airdack »

Mozzer wrote:Att. Airdack and Cage,

Hi, I had the exact same problem as you.. First time I had it aswell... Try pressing the tab button to edit the start up, and add this to the line, nosplash - it did the trick for me.. Might help you aswell...
The line says quiet splash now ... so I should change this into quiet nosplash?
Mozzer

Post by Mozzer »

Hi

I don't know if this will work or not, it did for me, if it don't work for you, I'm sorry... Try boot'ing up from the CD, then pressing "esc" for more options, then you choose the first one (I think it's called Start Linux Mint or something), then you press "tab" to edit the start up process... The line ends with -- Try to add "nosplash", so the line ends like this "...nosplash --" and see if this will do it....

I hope that this is understandable, it's kind of hard to explain...
tank116

Post by tank116 »

well i had a few issues burning it to disk at first but now that i got that fixed and installed i am very pleased with it. poked around with a few things last night and found it to very stable and also the fastest os on my rig yet. also worth a mention is the mint update is now much faster than before and the new installer worked well with the exception that it automatically wanted to download language packs during the install but other than that i love it and it was worth every bit of the wait.

Thank you to the KDE CE team for a job well done i am very impressed with it, fast, functional and clean just the kind of work i have come to expect from the Mint KDE CE team! keep up the good work

running a arima dual opteron 240 server with 2 gig ram, onboard ati rage xl 8meg
kage

Post by kage »

Airdack wrote:
Mozzer wrote:Att. Airdack and Cage,

The line says quiet splash now ... so I should change this into quiet nosplash?
Hi Airdack

just delete "quiet splash"
it worked well for me but not foor the sound
it's still very quiet around my laptop....

greet
kage
Airdack

Post by Airdack »

Yes! That worked ... I am enjoying my beatiful Mint8 KDE right now :D I will post this into the KDE RC bug thread so others with this problem can fix it as well ... and Boo should be alerted too I guess :)

Return to “Software & Applications”