Why DVD?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Why DVD?

Post by newfie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

I'm wondering why the KDE CE is a DVD while Main is a CD? Reason I ask is that I prefer KDE, but it is hard to find a place that sells DVD-R discs (small town) and ordering online can be inconvenient.

I'm not saying "make it a 680MB CD image", I'm just curious as to why it's a "DVD distro". Having to apt-get kubuntu-desktop sucks =p

Keep up your work!

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why DVD?

Post by Carl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 am

I believe it's because KDE takes up allot more space then gnome but I'm sure someone else who's a bit more clued up then me will give a more definite answer :wink:

Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 am

One of the main reasons that it exceeds the size of a cd release is the gtk libs that need to be included. Thats more than enough to push it over the size limit of a cd.

newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newfie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Carl wrote:I believe it's because KDE takes up allot more space then gnome but I'm sure someone else who's a bit more clued up then me will give a more definite answer :wink:
Loads of distros use KDE and are the same size as Gnome iso's.

The gtk libs.. that makes sense. Looks like I will need to wait some time before getting my hands on this. Maybe I ought to wait until Mint 9 KDE?

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 pm

newfie wrote:...it is hard to find a place that sells DVD-R discs (small town) and ordering online can be inconvenient.
newfie wrote:Looks like I will need to wait some time before getting my hands on this. Maybe I ought to wait until Mint 9 KDE?
If you do want to wait, you'll probably be doing so until late July 2010. If you really can't get a blank DVD, and don't want the "inconvenience" of ordering online, there's also the option of booting the image from a USB drive. Ones that I've had luck with are UNetbootin and Pendrive Linux.

Joe

warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by warriorpoet » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:33 pm

One thing I think could be trimmed are the amount of redundant packages. For instance, do we really need Thunderbird and lightning installed by default when we have Kontact, or MPlayer when there's Dragon player, or VLC when its functionality is covered by Amarok, MPlayer, Dragon Player and probably a few others I'm missing? I understand a lot of these are "better" or more flexible than the KDE defaults, but it's preferable, to my way of thinking, to add them to the featured applications list in Software Manager than to install them by default. I'd rather add than delete, if you catch my drift ;)

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:19 pm

I would like to know what the best non-DVD option is for a laptop with broadband access (ADSL), but no...
...DVD (CD-only)
...USB boot support (old laptop)

I have installed Helena Gnome
I have installed Debian Lenny KDE
I have installed Kubuntu Karmic Koala

Karmic didn't live long as I gave up the space to Helena. Karmic and my laptop didn't always get along in the graphics department. But I do not have a problem reinstalling Karmic if it means getting to Helena KDE.

Thanks,
-HD.
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 am

hunkirdowne wrote:I would like to know what the best non-DVD option is for a laptop with broadband access (ADSL), but no...
...DVD (CD-only)
...USB boot support (old laptop)

I have installed Helena Gnome
I have installed Debian Lenny KDE
I have installed Kubuntu Karmic Koala

Karmic didn't live long as I gave up the space to Helena. Karmic and my laptop didn't always get along in the graphics department. But I do not have a problem reinstalling Karmic if it means getting to Helena KDE.
If your laptop is really that old, you may be happy with Linux Mint 7 Xfce. I use it on some of my older PCs, and I'm very satisfied with it. Otherwise for KDE, if you really can't install Linux Mint 8 KDE, and aren't interested in Kubuntu or Debian KDE, I had luck with PCLinuxOS and Mandriva KDE in a previous life.

Joe

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 pm

JoeFootball wrote: If your laptop is really that old, you may be happy with Linux Mint 7 Xfce. I use it on some of my older PCs, and I'm very satisfied with it. Otherwise for KDE, if you really can't install Linux Mint 8 KDE, and aren't interested in Kubuntu or Debian KDE, I had luck with PCLinuxOS and Mandriva KDE in a previous life.
Joe
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually running Debian KDE and Mint Helena (gnome) on this old laptop. Debian KDE has no problems whatsoever with graphics but I have to do a lot of tweaking to get the desktop to look like I want it to. Helena Gnome is actually quite nice but I sometimes have some graphics problems but usually only some weird 256-color and high-ASCII character stuff blinking as I log off which could just be a matter of the way the x-server is shutting down to take a wild guess. I've used Linux Mint 7 Xfce and am quite satisfied with it -- one might say "it rocks!"

But I'm on a bit of a KDE kick right now. I've used the Gnome DE for a few years now at least starting with Debian Woody and then Ubuntu Feisty. Before that I never really paid much attention to what WM or DE I was using but started off with RedHat (5.x, probably IceWM but don't truly recall), then slackware and SuSe (back when) and finally settling on Debian. But I would occassionally boot up a Knoppix CD and was always intrigued by the graphics and eventually stumbled upon Kate and fell in love with the interface of that editor. Still, with an aging laptop I've tried fluxbox, Xfce, and even LXDE. My biggest complaint about LXDE isn't performance, it's (silly) the "My Home" icon that bespeaks a little too much of that operating system out of Redmond, Washington, USA. If it wasn't for that (again, very subjective) it probably wouldn't be so easy for me to say that Xfce is my favorite "lightweight" DE.

I actually have two aging laptops and I think I'll take the lesser of the two and install Kubuntu Karmic and then Mint it. Kubuntu works "OK" and does maintain functionality even when the graphics go wonky (just a blank rectangle left over from task bar activity). Gnome Ubuntu barely runs at all but Debian is rock solid and Helena (Gnome) is quite usable so there must be system-level tweaks in Mint that Ubuntu could learn from (ahem).

Thanks again. More information than you bargained for I'm sure, but I think this will be my only alternative until I buy a new laptop which won't be for another couple months. It usually takes me almost a year to buy a new system but I'm getting a little quicker these days at nailing down the specs I want and finding the system that comes closest to it without breaking the bank, so to speak.

Cheers!
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:34 am

Boy howdy, do I feel like a dummy. One of my old laptops has DVD-ROM capability after all so I downloaded the ISO and burned it on my wife's iMac. The DVD boots but I am having the same issue with what I call "blank rectangles" (actually, transparent would be a better term -- the desktop shows where the application should). I had this issue in Kubuntu Karmic but not so in Debian KDE. The difference is Karmic and Mint are using KDE 4.x (don't recall more, but doesn't matter) whereas Debian is still using KDE 3.x (3.5.10). So of the two "giants" Gnome and KDE, Gnome Mint 8 runs well and KDE Debian runs great but KDE4 taxes my aging hardware too much.

I think I'm done with installing for now and will just keep what I have unless I want to go back to Xfce on my non-DVD laptop (but Debian KDE is working fine there as stand-alone). For now I'm going to concentrate on what I want in a new laptop and then start the process all over again. I can't imagine having the problems with a 2010 system that I am with laptops that were manufactured in the first half of this decade. :-D
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

Return to “KDE”