32-bit or 64-bit KDE first?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

For Isadora KDE which architecture should be developed first?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 pm

32-bit
44%
64-bit
56%

Total votes: 80

martosurf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit KDE first?

Post by martosurf »

tonyric wrote:
martosurf wrote:
What you want to say? I'm sorry but don't catch it tony. :roll:
If both are done simultaneously then the team loses no potential testers. There are some of us that refuse to use a 32bit OS on our hardware. Therefore, the testing of the 32bit distro means I cannot aid in the testing, and they lose a 15 year experienced Linux engineer in the testing phase. I am sure that I am not the only person they lose by working the testing phase in this manner.
Oh, ok, I see your point. I'm also a 64-bit user but it's true there are lot of people out there still running 32-bit systems - I myself am waiting for the FLUXBOX CE to use in my old 512mb, 1mhz AMD Duron in my bookshop. So, one version first or another, we will have both at corresponding time. May be it's up to devs which version they will release first, I hope it will be the 64-bit KMint =D
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Linux Mint KDE CE 9 " Isadora"
As it too much work for the Dev so far and it is not possible to release the two editions (32-64 bit)
at the same time, i think Boo should follow the same pattern of Main Edition. First release for the
32 bit edition and after that the release of the x64 bit edition.

Cheers
Roberto
AfterEight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AfterEight »

Hi Guys,

Looks like we are all going to be happy . . .

[color=#0000FF]http://forums.linuxmint. ... 57[/color]
( Please excuse the long link, not sure how to do the smaller link that everyone else seems to be able to do )

Just a matter of when now.

AfterEight
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra ----+---- Dathon and Picard at El-Adrel IV
Registered as user #474278 with the Linux Counter
Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Airdack »

64bit support has been there for a long time in the hardware (CPU's), and after all these years software has finally caught up. Although the 32bit version still is useful for netbooks and older computers, any non-netbook computer that has been sold the past years has 64bit support. Together with the benchmark from phoronix showing that 64bit performs better in most benchmarks than 32bit (PAE) I would say the time is right for a switch to releasing the 64bit version first.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

tonyric wrote: What does surprise me is that there are over 200 views of this thread and only 27 votes.
I didn't vote because , although I have 100 gigs of prime real estate on my hard drive waiting for 64-bit, I may be in the minority. As I'm sure you agree , most mint users are a patient, unselfish lot who would not want to place selfish demands on the developers. If the poll was to gather information about which version of Isadora to develop first, I feel it would be better to ask a more direct question like "Which version of Isadora do you plan to use: 32-bit or 64-bit?"

I also seem to remember seeing a post by Boo (I think it was - did a search, can't find it) stating that he only has to add a couple of lines to the final 32 bit to convert it to 64bit. If that is the case, how easy is it to do the other way around?

Another question is.. does one version have an advantage over the other when it comes to testing? I dont know what's involved in the testing process so I dont know if this is a relevant question or not.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Another question is.. does one version have an advantage over the other when it comes to testing? I dont know what's involved in the testing process so I dont know if this is a relevant question or not.
There are some differences. I am in the process of testing the x64 version now.
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aelfinn »

exploder wrote:There are some differences. I am in the process of testing the x64 version now.
Do you think we might be able to tease an estimate out of you as to how long you think your testing will take? :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Do you think we might be able to tease an estimate out of you as to how long you think your testing will take? :)
I will be finished testing sometime tonight but Clem will have to test the 64 bit edition if I approve it. So far things are looking good but I still have about 50 or so more tests to run. KDE editions always take a long time to test and there is a lot of things to check. Be patient, it is better not to hurry a release and have a good working system. :)

Edit: I found one bug in the x64 version....
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

exploder wrote:Be patient, it is better not to hurry a release and have a good working system.
+1 to that. I could go with other distros if I wanted one that quoted a release date. But one of the primary reasons I go with Mint is that while I may only know approximately when the next release is coming, I'm confident that said release is tied to the project being done correctly rather than a date on the calendar.

Joe
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks Joe, that's just how it is. :D

I approved the 64 bit release this morning. Boo took care of the last remaining bug and the release is awaiting Clem's approval. Bear in mind that testing the release is a pretty lengthy process and Clem might find something the Boo and I missed.
martosurf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martosurf »

exploder wrote:Thanks Joe, that's just how it is. :D

I approved the 64 bit release this morning. Boo took care of the last remaining bug and the release is awaiting Clem's approval. Bear in mind that testing the release is a pretty lengthy process and Clem might find something the Boo and I missed.
Thank you for making my morning, I'm sure I'll have a big smile today at work :lol: :lol: :lol:
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

exploder wrote:Thanks Joe, that's just how it is. :D

Folks you are our heroes. Take the time you need. You are taking this seriously and care about the result.
We love you for that.
We are building the community of *the* quality distro.
r0berto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r0berto »

Hi, new to the forum, but thought I'd chime in on this topic.

Personally, I have all 64-bit capable machines, and all range from 4-8gb RAM (I am a programmer by trade, and I do quite a bit of music/video tasks for personal use), so I personally prefer a 64-bit environment, and I voted 64-bit. That said, I do feel in the interest of all users that the 32 and 64 bit editions should be simultaneously released. I don't want to be presumptuous about how your release cycles are done, as I am new to Mint, but it isn't terribly hard with the proper organization and manpower (yes, I realize that second part can be hard at times, especially considering the environment). I am certain there would be many interested in participating in a beta program for new releases to work out those bugs.

This distro definitely has what it takes to compete with the big dogs on the porch.
Lenovo T61 laptop | Core 2 Duo T7300 | 4GiB RAM | 128GiB SSD | Mint 12 Gnome 64bit
martosurf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martosurf »

DataMan wrote:Boo,
Any timing estimates if 64 bit wins out? I had to install Kubuntu 64 bit this past weekend ... would really prefer going Mint.

-DataMan
Same here. I also wanna try if it can resolve an issue I have with Kubuntu 64 regarding my ATI's HDMI port not being recognized.

Also I want to note in relation with this statement made by exploder:
"I approved the 64 bit release this morning. Boo took care of the last remaining bug and the release is awaiting Clem's approval. Bear in mind that testing the release is a pretty lengthy process and Clem might find something the Boo and I missed."
That was 3 days ago, almost 4 now. I hope Clem's computer didn't blow away because a bug he happens to discover :P
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Clem found 3 things he wanted addressed, Boo fixed these issues and the testing process started all over again. Boo and I have finished testing. Clem is testing and has the final word on if and when this is released. Be patient, good things come to those that wait. :)
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

hi all,
i really hope 32bit editions will be developed and released first as usual even i have 64 bit box. voting scheme wont be accurate enough. if possible, see how much people downloading and using 32 bit edition vs 64 bit. for the fairness sake, of course i hope both editions can be released on the same time or even a days delay but to be realistic, i know it is hard to do. but i'm pretty sure, not much people have 4+gb of ram especially for a newbie. so, 32bit for me.
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

feed3 wrote:hi all,
i really hope 32bit editions will be developed and released first as usual even i have 64 bit box. voting scheme wont be accurate enough. if possible, see how much people downloading and using 32 bit edition vs 64 bit. for the fairness sake, of course i hope both editions can be released on the same time or even a days delay but to be realistic, i know it is hard to do. but i'm pretty sure, not much people have 4+gb of ram especially for a newbie. so, 32bit for me.

I respectfully disagree. 64 bit has a big speed advantage (besides handling bigger memory). See this post about systematic benchmarking. It has appeared in this forum before and gives impressive mumbers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... _pae&num=1

SO... 64-bit is just faster and better - in many if not the very most cases. Remember we are talking KDE . Old, 32-bit machines will get increasing problems to run KDE for its demand for resources.
Most every new PC sold in the last couple years should be 64-bit.

I do not want any people (running old PCs) excluded from running Mint, but they probably will not want to run KDE4.x or else they will find out what SLOOOOWWW means.
Accordingly, the 64-bit-first mantra should not apply to things like fluxbox etc (which by the way is a beautiful alternative running Mint on older hardware).
With lightweight desktops it needs to be 32 bit (first) for a while.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

olligod wrote: I respectfully disagree. 64 bit has a big speed advantage (besides handling bigger memory). See this post about systematic benchmarking. It has appeared in this forum before and gives impressive mumbers.

errrr, forgive my noob status here but, with respect to you, can you point it to me more specifically to which of my statement did you disagree? to be honest, i'm asking it just simply because if what i'm saying is wrong, then obviously i can get some new info and knowledge from it, right? :-)

i'm voting for 32 bit because;
1. as a newbie, what i see is most of the apps that i and/or the others might use still in 32 bit.
2. as i state before, not much people (especially in poor country) have more than 4 gb of ram in order to get full advantages of 64bit architecture.
3. from newbie perspective (i'm considering myself as newbie), the chances that they will download an image as big as 1+gb and try to install as well as using it with, say 512mb of ram is simply low. even if they do download it, they might try it as live dvd/usb first. so, an old computer is out of my consideration when voting for 32bit (they still have mint xfce and fluxbox ce though)

i hope you wont take it seriously. just try to discuss it with you and try to get/know something new and interesting from you.
=)
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

feed3 wrote:
olligod wrote: I respectfully disagree. 64 bit has a big speed advantage (besides handling bigger memory). See this post about systematic benchmarking. It has appeared in this forum before and gives impressive mumbers.

errrr, forgive my noob status here but, with respect to you, can you point it to me more specifically to which of my statement did you disagree? to be honest, i'm asking it just simply because if what i'm saying is wrong, then obviously i can get some new info and knowledge from it, right? :-)

i'm voting for 32 bit because;
1. as a newbie, what i see is most of the apps that i and/or the others might use still in 32 bit.
2. as i state before, not much people (especially in poor country) have more than 4 gb of ram in order to get full advantages of 64bit architecture.
... please do read that benchmarking post. It concludes after tests that 64bit is ways better even at **less** than 4GB RAM. That's the point. A computer that is capable of 64 bit Operating systems should always do 64 bit where possible - for better performance.
This was just one test series but it reads very conclusive.
feed3 wrote:
3. from newbie perspective (i'm considering myself as newbie), the chances that they will download an image as big as 1+gb and try to install as well as using it with, say 512mb of ram is simply low. even if they do download it, they might try it as live dvd/usb first. so, an old computer is out of my consideration when voting for 32bit (they still have mint xfce and fluxbox ce though)
Old computer is out of your consideration for Mint-KDE? Out of mine, too . Now that's the point here: Almost no *new* computer is dependent on 32 bit (since they have 64 bit cpus), so why not use a 64 bit - Operating System which is nearly always better? Why would you want 32bit if there really aren't any advantages?
martosurf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martosurf »

exploder wrote:Clem found 3 things he wanted addressed, Boo fixed these issues and the testing process started all over again. Boo and I have finished testing. Clem is testing and has the final word on if and when this is released. Be patient, good things come to those that wait. :)
Hi exploder! My skin is turning yellow and my eyes are shrinking and getting wide, and this morning at the breakfast I talk my first two or three words in mandarin, so you see I'm getting in sync with this thing called "patience" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You're the man and you're the men, many many thanks for your awesome and kind work guys (y)

(Thanks God tonyric already gave us something to chew until final release : )

Return to “KDE”