Marketing proposal: KDE to became the default DE for Mint 10

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Marketing proposal: KDE to became the default DE for Mint 10

Post by rec9140 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

hinto wrote:What about from the Desktop, not in Dolphin?
LM Menu/ Konsole

or add an icon to the desktop to run Konsole
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Seventh Reign
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seventh Reign » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Like someone said above. The difference between Mint/KDE and Kubuntu is that Kubuntu is just thrown together and whatever works, works, and whatever doesnt .. oh well maybe they'll fix it for the next release. Mint on the other hand is thoroughly tested and refined. Granted not ALL bugs and glitches can or will be fixed. It is impossible since there are tens of thousands of different hardware configurations so none of the developers will be able to configure for ALL of them.

One thing I think .. no scratch that .. I KNOW, would help the Mint Community is making Alphas and/or Betas available to the public for testing like Ubuntu does. A Single RC release before the Final release just simply isnt enough.

deleted

Post by deleted » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 pm

rec9140 wrote: LM Menu/ Konsole
or add an icon to the desktop to run Konsole
That's not the same as the context menu.
-Hinto

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:44 pm

hinto wrote: That's not the same as the context menu.
I don't know what menu your talking about.. but...

Right click on the desktop, Run Command . Konsole

You can add an entry on the menu for this if you want, I don't use that method, so can't tell you how.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:54 pm

I for one would be against having KDE as the default desktop environment for Mint, okay I like KDE to a degree and sure the flashy animations provided by kwin and the subtle looks... but when it comes down to it after about a week I want to scream and tear up my laptop :evil: :lol: for all the bloat and slowness of the thing it just feels clunky and unresponsive and that menu, that damn menu it's .............. well I cant even propely tell you what I hate some much about it but it's horrible

of course this is just how I personally feel I think in time (and with the help of a chainsaw to hack away the crap) kde4 would be brilliant on the official release :wink:

speedyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by speedyx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 am

rec9140 wrote:

You can add an entry on the menu for this if you want, I don't use that method, so can't tell you how.
I configured CTRL+ALT+T to launch the Konsole, very simply, like F4 in Dolphin.
The freedom technologies are available!

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:25 am

rec9140 wrote:

My fault... I'll check it out.
Thanks.
-Hinto

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

BTW...
Installed 64bit KDE on a _real_ pc. I love it. A couple of tweaks, tho. I removed the stripes in the title bar, and I set the widgets to QTCurve. That way the buttons seem to match a little better to the gtk apps and I found the title bar stripes a little annoying.
Great job on a great distro.
-Hinto

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Marketing proposal: KDE to became the default DE for Min

Post by dequire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:35 am

MALsPa wrote:If I'm asked which Mint edition I'm using, the answer is the Main (GNOME) edition. I use it because it's the main edition, and because the Mint team does a good job with it -- not because I prefer to use GNOME.

If I'm asked which desktop environment or window manager I wish was the default for Mint, the answer is KDE -- if the Mint team can do a good job with KDE4.
I have a feeling this echos the sentiments of many more users than people would realize. When I install Linux for friends, I used to install the LM Main Edition, simply because of the fact that LM KDE was not only a CE, but lagged behind the main edition in terms of release date. Which, in turn, lagged behind Ubuntu's release date. So it felt just old-ish almost by the time it was released. Also, it made more sense if a user tried to get help themselves without calling me (imagine that!) on the LM forums, since the bias is heavily skewed towards Gnome, even to the point that users are occasionally given the wrong information simply because the person answering simply assumes a Gnome environment. Now, however, I only install Mint KDE or Kubuntu depending on the situation.

I also take into account that to me Gnome looks a lot like Win 98 still in many ways, despite the fact that the LM team does a great job making Mint look really professional.

I would be all for the Main Edition moving to KDE4. I base this mainly on the notion that KDE4 is the future of Linux on the desktop. This, of course, is my opinion...
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 am

Heh. I completely disagree. If anything I'd prefer Mint to move towards the more lightweight minimalist DEs or WMs: LXDE, fluxbox, etc. I don't want bloat, I want fast and responsive.

But that's just my preference. GNOME is (in my opinion) more newbie-friendly, and as Mint is aiming for the newbie end of the Linux market, I think it makes sense to stick with GNOME.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:07 am

I like Mint Main (Gnome) because the apps I use the most are GTK based (Firefox, Thunderbird, VMPlayer. etc). It looks more cohesive.
That being said, Main is at Home... At work I have 2 KDE boxes and a Fluxbox version.
I dig the translucency and the sliding effects in KDE. And I have the hardware to handle it.
-Hinto

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:17 am

dequire wrote: I also take into account that to me Gnome looks a lot like Win 98 still in many ways, despite the fact that the LM team does a great job making Mint look really professional.
Yes they do. But what about Gnome 3? I do not currently have the hardware that I can commit to testing out Gnome Shell but it looks intriguing enough for me to say I want to know more. I'm not as concerned with "pretty" as I am function but if this allows me to interact with my data in a better way than I'm all for it.
dequire wrote: I would be all for the Main Edition moving to KDE4. I base this mainly on the notion that KDE4 is the future of Linux on the desktop. This, of course, is my opinion...
and previously
hunkirdowne wrote: Personally, I like the proposal to base Mint on Debian (Testing, probably) and KDE (if they don't crater the DE) but I will take things as they are if it's the way it needs to be. My personal dream would be a Qt-based browser that is superior to Firefox but the sun doesn't shine much these days. :-D
I've used Gnome for years and only recently picked up KDE in any serious way when I started having GUI issues on old hardware (not that Xfce is such a bad route but I wanted to try KDE and all that is for another thread anyway). So now that I'm using KDE I prefer it over Gnome. There are things I like about both but for now I like KDE better.

I've had issues with KDE4 not displaying properly, but 3.5.10 is rock solid -- but missing some of the features I like about 4. Now that I'm testing the beta for Kubuntu, KDE4 appears to be just fine -- the issues have been addressed (replaced by others, but that's beta ;-).

So what should the developers do? For one thing, they will do what they think is best and all this is just feedback. But do I think they might consider KDE4 as the main DE or might they wait and see what Gnome3 has to offer? As much as I like KDE, perhaps the more seamless route would be to stick with Gnome for the moment provided Gnome3 does not introduce too many undesirable variables. To be quite blunt, I doubt I'll really care too much in the long run. With the next an LTS release I will likely have both Gnome and KDE installed for a while anyway. Based on what I've seen of the Kubuntu beta, I'll be able to patiently wait for Linux Mint 9 KDE CE to come out to install on this ol' laptop but will wait until I have more up to date hardware before I install Main.

One last thing. I can switch my opinion back and forth as often as I want to. But I doubt that the developers will be willing to jump from one default DE to another very often.
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

kat22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kat22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:05 pm

i've been a KDE fan since beginning...my linux beginnings
so I'd vote for KDE as default if ever the numbers are on our side...
mint and KDE combo is the ultimate for me...

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:17 pm

I just switched to KDE and so far I'm loving it. It's surprisingly fast on my system and love the eye candy.

My only reservation for KDE becoming the default DE is the different default desktop style compared to the "Folder View" that's standard on MS Windows and Gnome, Xfce, LXDE, etc.

KDE's desktop can be switched to the "Folder View" (I just did ;) ) and if the Folder view can be set as KDE's default style, then I'd vote for KDE because it seems to work good, it's feature-rich, and looks oh so lovely!
Chakra Linux

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm

The tide is turning, slowly :D

We can thank many people for this, but not the least of which is the great folks over at KDE for continuing to push the desktop further with each release. Onward and upward to KDE SC 4.5...
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

baffle-boy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: KDE to became the default DE for Linux Mint 10

Post by baffle-boy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:41 am

mick55 wrote:Dang!

When I saw the name of this thread I thought it was a formal announcement
that Mint 10 main was going to be KDE instead of Gnome.
KDE to became the default DE for Linux Mint 10
Dang! Dang! Dang!

For a second there I was overjoyed. :lol:

Oh,well.....at least Mint 8 KDE is a fantastic distro.
i made the same moistake, lol :shock: ... well i do hope that they can at least get some more people to help boo with mint KDE... he does it all by himself doesnt he? if there was a good few people working on it, we could get it coming out around a week after each main release i bet! :)

and i agreee with folder view being the default, i set it that way every time anyways.

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:32 am

I've change my mind KDE Is great :lol:

I had been using Kubuntu when I posted my last comment :roll:

And have since switched to Linux Mint KDE CE and wow what a difference :shock: it's a totally different beast :D

Return to “KDE”