Mint 8 Gnome to KDE [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spandey

Mint 8 Gnome to KDE [SOLVED]

Post by spandey »

Hi,
I am a newbie to Linux. I have downloaded and installed Mint 8 Gnome. I would like to try KDE. Can I convert Gnome to KDE? Is it advisable or better to do a fresh KDE install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Mint 8 Gnome to KDE

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you have room on your hard drive, I would recommend a fresh install of Mint KDE in dual boot with Mint Main Edition rather than installing the KDE desktop on your gnome install. I think the full install gives a better feel for the KDE experience than a desktop transplant.

Having said that, if you prefer to just install the KDE desktop on Gnome, open Package Manager and search kde-full. Install this package and you will be able to choose whether to use KDE or Gnome at the log-in screen - click "Sessions" and choose which one you want.
spandey

Re: Mint 8 Gnome to KDE [ SOLVED ]

Post by spandey »

Thanks. I will do a parallel install.
Andrew33

Re: Mint 8 Gnome to KDE [SOLVED]

Post by Andrew33 »

Where can I find the official KDE brand of Mint...all I've been able to find is the LXDE version, unles that's the one or am I missing something...thanks for all your help...btw...Mint rocks, it's the best I've seen

Andrew :)

Return to “Software & Applications”