Ideas for Isadora KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Ideas for Isadora KDE

Post by Boo »

I have started development on Isadora KDE.
Installed Kubuntu 10.04 Beta1 and started building/updating mint packages.

So my question is what do you want added, removed, changed, tweaked, etc for this up coming release?
Don't forget layout and artwork ideas.

some package ideas i have are:
--websafty--
ProCon latte (firefox plugin)
leech block (firefox plugin)
tinyproxy
dansguardian (dansguardian.org)
lottanzb
kopete-facebook, kdeartwork-emoticons.
--Multimedia--
Mythtv frontend
or
XBMC

Config ideas:
move mint-fortune from /etc/bash.bashrc to ~/.bashrc (ie /etc/skel)

Let the ideas start flowing.

--- compiled Ideas List ---
No firefox plugins.
kopete-facebook, kdeartwork-emoticons.
Mythtv frontend
dansguardian (dansguardian.org)
Sopcast
Gyachy
Silicon
htdig
KDE doco (and other doco)
Bluefish 2.0
more CLI tools

Cheers
Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
manny

Re: Ideas for Isadora KDE

Post by manny »

Boo, you did such an excellent job in Helena that I'm using it since release day and I love it, best OS ever. There are not many things that is missing but I will make a few suggestion and see if it can be implemented. It may help newies and could be helpful to others.

-Install Nosquint plug in in Fire fox.
-"Open with" in Firefox still not fixed, I know is a FF problem but if you can fix it you will be my hero.
-Changing resolution in KDE is complicated, it tends to break the desktop and is not reliable. Is there anything it can be done to correct it?
-Add Sopcast application (not in repositories) works great.
-Add Gyachy, best application for YM, is not 100% stable but it is the best one since it supports webcam. (not in repositories)
-Fix Skype webcam if possible. I know Skype is not doing much for us but will help if at least you can assist on how to apply the following script "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" when calling Skype, I managed it in Gnome but not in KDE, I have to use the console.

Keep the great job, you converted me. Linux Mint KDE really Rocks.

manny
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Boo,

No Procon Latte
No Leech Block
No LottaNZB
No AdBlock

Yes - Dansguardian
Yes - Mythtv Frontend
Yes - Usb Creator
Yes - Bluefish 2.0 (thanks richyrich )

At least for me

Cheers
Roberto
Last edited by Rob Brill on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Hi boo... Thanks for wonderful Helena KDE! :)

As for packages that would be wonderfull if can be included in isadora;
- yakuake
- downthemall (plugin)
- usb-creator

To be removed;
- google gadget

Just my 2cent tho.. :)
MikeEnIke

Post by MikeEnIke »

I definitely agree with having yakuake installed my default. Love that app.
condowax

Post by condowax »

Hey boo,

I think it would be great if you included Silicon as a default app which is a simple manager for cd images, it works great.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

FIX:

stupid KB base mess upstream will create by using base 10 in some things.

KB, MB, GB, TB = base 2= IT = binary = 0 & 1 =1K = 1024BYTES <> 1 kibbles or what ever they want to call it :evil: :twisted: .. I feed kibbles to my cats! :)

NO!!:
fire*** add ins at all
web safety - or at least all of it is turned off, disabled, not configured, and requires HUMAN action to enable.

YES!!:
usb-creator
Myth...hmm... MintMyth?
Silicon
ALSA-base to the newest and latest edition at freeze
OO - to the newest and latest edition at freeze with update repos ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

{nslookup
whois
weather-util
traceroute
nmap
Mailx and its utils exim etc.. - so local mail ie: user to user can be used ala mbox, and then so utils can send out emails from BASH etc. to alert to activities, errors etc.. } Why such basics of *nix land are not installed and included by default? I use nslookup, whois, and traceroute daily, and have mail from scripts etc. to monitor various tasks...

yes, as it probably doesn't take up much space:
yakuake.. I've seen this touted before... I guess I just don't get it v. konsole especially if all it does is hit f12 and it drops down... thats it!???? Thats pretty close to being another one of those spinny cubey, wobly wall things that I just don't see as being any need for outside of an X.org demo at a convention... "... A Quake style...." what??? what is "quake style?"
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

rec9140 wrote: stupid KB base mess upstream will create by using base 10 in some things...
...yakuake.. I've seen this touted before... I guess I just don't get it v. konsole especially if all it does is hit f12 and it drops down... thats it!???? Thats pretty close to being another one of those spinny cubey, wobly wall things that I just don't see as being any need for outside of an X.org demo at a convention... "... A Quake style...." what??? what is "quake style?"
I can't understand why you should be this aggressive.. It's just an idea after all.. And please respects the others hard-work in creating an apps that even if you are not using it, the others are using it happily..
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

Please add the pager widget to panel by default.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

First off, thanks for inviting people to contribute ideas.

I'm new to Mint, but not to KDE, and I have to say that, on the whole, I'm very impressed with your software choices. Definitely Synaptic over Adept! The only debate I have is that you chose Dragon player over Kaffeine--but for all I know there are issues with Kaffeine I'm unaware of.

One of the reasons I chose Mint rather than staying with K/Ubuntu is that I use dialup. Mint KDE comes with KPPP, and a lot of software I don't have to download. As well, I understand that Mint is aimed at folks new to Linux. With these 2 factors in mind:

1. Either a help file for Mint backup, or a more configurable backup program.
2. htdig--so we can index the documentation.
3. As much KDE documentation as you can squeeze in--for new users, pressing Help and getting nothing is extremely frustrating.
4. Kget

Looking over my install history, the above are all that I had to install--plus some applications that I use, but are not for everyone.

I had some trouble with the System tray, in that it didn't display KOrganizer's alarm daemon, and I thought it was missing. It took about 5 minutes to fill my panel with open applications, so there was no room to expand the tray. Don't know if you can do anything about this, but thought I'd mention it.

And I notice KOrganizer's calendar displays no holidays, but a web search suggests that's a bug. As well, Akonadi is broken. Since I have no idea what Akonadi is or why I'd want it, it's no loss :-)
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Bluefish 2.0 . . old, old version 1.07 is currently in the repositories.
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

Hi,
first, thank you so much for KDE helena. I decided to give up Windows last week and I had so many problems in both Kubuntu 10.04 and 9.04 so I decided to give the KDE release of Mint a try and it is hands down the best distro I have ever used.
As for apps and stuff that would be amazing to see in
I am a big fan of the Chromium Web Browser so adding it to repo by default would be awesome
Another app that I always find myself using AcetoneISO. I have taken a lot of old games and software I own and make ISO's of them as the CD's are beginning to degrade and I fine AcetoneISO is an amazing and diverse disk utility and is very KDE friendly.
I saw Wine was installed by default in Helena, personally I am not in favor of installing WINE by default as not everyone needs it. I have crossover myself and find it very redundant.
Expanding the repo's is really the biggest thing. While I would like a lot apps like Chromium and AcetoneISO to be installed, simply having them accessed easily through a package manager (or software manager) would make my life a lot easier.
Also I hope that the ability for the windows to resize them self if you hit them to the side or the top of screen like in kubuntu 10.04 and win7 is in the release.
I am also pleased to see that the 64 bit release is coming first (or at least I understand). You have done an excellent job on Helena and I am looking forward to another amazing release.
baffle-boy

Post by baffle-boy »

i just got linux mint and i absolutely love it, i only have one suggestion, but it's pretty odd and i assume it will be hard to implement: if linux mint KDE could have the same "computer" menu as the KDE version of open SuSE that would be great. it's a fancy menu that names your cpu and all of your HDDs, etc. if you want i think i can get a screenshot with the live cd i have of it.

now that i have read some of the suggestions, i second the inclusion of KGet.
mararual

Post by mararual »

+1 for AcetoneISO. It's the best mounting/unmounting tool for ISO and has a lot of other unique features.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

YES:
AcetoneISO

ADD:
dav2fs - access WebDav aka WebDisks on web servers...
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/davfs2

RETURN:

KMyMoney WITH OFX Direct Connect see: https://launchpad.net/~claydoh/+archive/ppa
For builds, these are KDE3 based! Hardy to Karmic.... The KDE4 beta PPA does NOT have the REQUIRED OFX banking functions, which without the OFX Direct Connect the program is useless. Online banking has nothing to do with a web site, manual downloads and/or these three letters Q I F :evil: And simple OFX import is not the same as OFX Direct Connect.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Boo,

Would like to have files and settings transfer like in Helena Gnome edition....like when I install the Gnome version of Mint (I have dual boot with Windows 7) it automatically does a files and setting transfer from my windows half and brings in all my documents and settings. Also need to have automatic import mail settings for Thunderbird, because when I setup mail, the first screen that come up has the radio button selected not to import anything. Also would like to have more themes available and more choices for the splash screen upon login. There's also some difficulty with finding the theme changer in KDE version of Mint 8...there isn't one...keep up the great work, mint is so cool, the best yet.

Andrew :-)
linna

Post by linna »

Thank you for Helena Kde, I like it very much and it works perfectly on my hp laptop but I have bought a netbook recently (MSI ) and I can't install mint kde on it. The installation even doesn't start :( I would be happy if it was possible to install mint 9 kde on msi netbooks... :D
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I'd love to see Isadora using Ubuntu's Ayatana notifications out of the box instead of KDE's as I think they look better :)
also is there any chance of a better looking volume bar thing? it show's up on my dell laptop when using the multimedia volume keys and looks ugly:
screeny.jpg
Also thanks for such a great Helena release :D , just started using it about a week ago after using the gnome edition for about a year
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Definitely include Pidgin repos, please: ppa:pidgin-developers/ppa.
E.M.G.

Post by E.M.G. »

first may I say congrats on an excellent setup an m8 ... one little change I would make it to replace the standard task manager with the smooth tasks manager ... I think its a more "polished" look ;)

Any way I'm sure whatever you decide will kick butt!!!!!!!!

Return to “Software & Applications”