Ideas for Isadora KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srini2174

Re: Ideas for Isadora KDE

Post by srini2174 »

Hi,
Can you include the application 2ManDVD (http://2mandvd.tuxfamily.org/?q=node/260)

Srinivasan.B
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

It is too late to add any more apps but you can in stall 2manDVD via mintInstall or synaptic.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

Boo wrote:It is too late to add any more apps but you can in stall 2manDVD via mintInstall or synaptic.
Too late to add is a GREAT sign.
trans123

Post by trans123 »

Hi Boo,
Could you please include some nice dark colored color schemes in LM kde 9. Most of the color schemes aren't compatible with open office. I have already discussed that issue in one of my other posts. Please rectify it
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the default plasma theme is oxygen so that should darken things in general.
It is hard to find a good dark colour theme that works well with GTK apps too.
trans123

Post by trans123 »

Hi Boo
Do you think by using koffice instead of open office can fix the issues related to color schemes
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

It would help but i see most of the problems with firefox and colours, espically input of text in pages.
trans123

Post by trans123 »

yeah I already encountered that problem. But chrome and opera has no issues
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

Doesn't Kubuntu have a sort of KDE variant of OO? I seem to recall that the color scheme fits well, except for the loading screen.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Yepp Kubuntu has their own Firefox mix. Also, rekonq works wonderful and blazing fast. And built with Qt.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

Boo wrote:It would help but i see most of the problems with firefox and colours, espically input of text in pages.
Boo, check out cnnsi.com. It seems that with each release the rendering of this page changes from correct to incorrect. Was not right on 7, correct on 8 but incorrect on 9 Gnome. :)
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I have come in late for the Mint bus, so I may not be knowing things, and asking redundant bits of info, but:

Why do you have a DVD (1.1GB) iso for KDE version, whereas the gnome one is still a CD?
If I see the upstream - Ubuntu and Kubuntu - both are CD iso.

And if that is the case - I would presume that since you are already using a DVD which has capacity to hold ~4 GB, why not add more apps which everyone keeps asking about in these forums - so as to present a complete package - after which you mostly wouldn't need to use install manager etc.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

alpha1 wrote:I have come in late for the Mint bus, so I may not be knowing things, and asking redundant bits of info, but:

Why do you have a DVD (1.1GB) iso for KDE version, whereas the gnome one is still a CD?
If I see the upstream - Ubuntu and Kubuntu - both are CD iso.

And if that is the case - I would presume that since you are already using a DVD which has capacity to hold ~4 GB, why not add more apps which everyone keeps asking about in these forums - so as to present a complete package - after which you mostly wouldn't need to use install manager etc.
Too much lost functionality by removing enough apps to drop it back to a CD. I approve (personally) of the use of a DVD capable ISO, but am against filling it with duplicate apps that only a minority of the community would use. It is bad enough going on a package purge as it is. Keep it simple and basic for the default set of apps as opposed to the SuSE way of installing the kitchen sink. Too many apps means more confusion for the end user if they are new to Linux.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

tonyric wrote: against filling it with duplicate apps that only a minority of the community would use. It is bad enough going on a package purge as it is. Too many apps means more confusion for the end user if they are new to Linux.
Multiple programs allow USERS to choose which program fits their needs... Amarok works for me... may not for you... and your choice doesn't cut it for me etc.... Try out 1,2,3... till they find the one they like......

New users need ALL THE APPLICATIONS they can get READY TO GO with out getting into the whole program install situation till they are ready..

The minute you start with download a source tarball, open Konsole, do tar -xvf myprorgam.tar.gz cd myprogram ./configure make sudo make install... the new peeps have left running and screaming... DEB's are a huge step forward... but not the complete solution either. Pointy clicky GUI stuff is moving forward... but if the program you want is not in the pointy/clicky thingy what now? ? ?

Once they've got some time under their belt and they are ready to move on to compiling they won't be so easily swayed back to other inferior OS's. Till then the live DVD NEEDS to throw everything and the kitchen sink at them and more.

"I installed Kmint and it just did everything, spreadsheet, word processing, PDF viewing, browsing, audio....." v.

"I installed Kmint and couldn't play any media, couldn't view any video. Install programs to do that... too complicated requires typing complex arcane commands... "

Which experience do you think puts KMint AND Linux in the sunshine? ?
tonyric wrote: Keep it simple and basic for the default set of apps as opposed to the SuSE way of installing the kitchen sink.
This is probably one of the only things SuSE still does right. That and their factory creator thing.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

I disagree... Too many programs installed by default can easily cause overload and confusion. Between synaptic and the packages available there, a user can easily find what they are looking for without dropping to a command line. You mentioned media, ok, so, VLC works for me, gmplayer works for you. Both are available (hypothetically) by default. VLC is set as the default media manager OOTB, how does the user EASILY change th default actions? Personally, I drop to the command line for as many actions as possible, but new users? No, you are right, they want things to just work. Honestly, how many people stray from iTunes or Windows Media player? Not very many. They take what the system manufacturer provides.

"Pointy Clicky GUI" is available in Mint and Ubuntu, and SuSE and...... So, I think this "./configure && make && sudo make install" argument is no longer valid for well over 90% of the users. For the remaining 10% (like you and I) we have that available to us. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to compile anything manually (except for work) and finding replacement applications in synaptic is EASY.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

tonyric wrote:I disagree... Too many programs installed by default can easily cause overload and confusion.
I don't get that how is it confusing to have a menu list: Video PLayers

a,b,c,d

Try a... don't like it , try c,, better, not it yet,, no on d too... but b thats it.

Spell it out ... that you saying that because the menu has 4 choices of players that the user has no idea which to use? ? Really? :shock:

OK.. so we have Video Players... and it includes a, c, or d and ONLY one of these.

I click on it to run... and it starts and it just is hideous like Amarok in KDE 4...Bad feelings linger..thats not going to help keep possible converts.
tonyric wrote: Between synaptic and the packages available there, a user can easily find what they are looking for without dropping to a command line.
I wouldn't bet on that..... :mrgreen:

tonyric wrote: You mentioned media, ok, so, VLC works for me, gmplayer works for you. Both are available (hypothetically) by default. VLC is set as the default media manager OOTB, how does the user EASILY change th default actions?
No VLC works for me...better than Amarok in KDE 4.

Change the program...

Mint Button|Applications|Settings|Advanced User Settings|File Associations

Pretty similar to other OS's and its pointy/clicky.
tonyric wrote: how many people stray from iTunes or Windows Media player? Not very many. They take what the system manufacturer provides.
Nope, never used them.
tonyric wrote:"Pointy Clicky GUI" is available in Mint and Ubuntu, and SuSE and...... So, I think this "./configure && make && sudo make install" argument is no longer valid for well over 90% of the users. For the remaining 10% (like you and I) we have that available to us. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to compile anything manually (except for work) and finding replacement applications in synaptic is EASY.
Just for reference my "pointy/clicky thingy" refers to the various tools to access things from DEB's to synpatic/apt to distro specific like mint software manager....

So lets go to the pointy/clicky thing... I need virtualization... we use that vmware thing at work... type in vmware.. ZIPPO! NADDA! That applies across all of them... Now what? Ok... I'll goto to the VMWare site and just download it like I normally do for stuff.. its not a simple choice one DL.. You have to pick the RIGHT one... the SH installer not the RPM. Then guess what you need to run through the terminal to do this, and more than likely you need to patch it first. Fail.

Try another... p2p thats a good one... till recently Frostwire the best program for p2p was not included or available any other way than to download a DEB from the Frostwire site.. then it would error out on first run, unless done as sudo frostwire... after that it would run fine as the installed user(s)... The DEB wouldn't have solved that... I take it for granted that mint install resolved this glitch? ? Since I already had it and later KMints have it already? But the synaptic version would not have solved this either.

Lets try another of mine.. KMyMoney.... for what ever reason the OFX stuff never gets compiled into the versions available via the pointy/clicky thingy... What good is that? How do I do online banking? ?? Note: I consider online banking to be a program which DIRECTLY INTERFACES with my bank via OFX and downloads transactions and bill payments. Webtard banking involves human downloading of QIF files. I don't do webtard banking.

The solution is a private PPA... How does a new user get this? ? ? Falls into that catergory of must have features... "KMint can't even do online banking like my Xxxxx program!" KMyMoney COULD if they could use the version that supports it, but it never is made available to the people who really need it most , NEW USERS.

Synaptic etc. all make HUGE improvements... but its not 99% which is about the level of that other OS. Theres issues with install software on all OS's but the number of methods on Linux scare many off and are not as reliable.

That doesn't even begin to touch stuff that is not distributed via repos... or in RPM (ick...even with alien)...

Installing software on Linux is the ONE of the BIGGEST HURDLE to wider spread adoption in the home and business. With updates of software right there behind it... Prime example... OpenOffice...its a MAJOR PITA to get new versions to show up...AND its NOT the DEFAULT! OO should be as current as possible at time of release and the ability for ALL UPDATES of OO to show in Mint Update be it minor or major.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I might be presuming or generalizing a little, BUT:
Linux assumes that everyone has a broadband connection at home/office.
(drivers for example)
(codecs, plug-ins etc)

This may be true in the Developed world = Us/Europe.

but for the rest of the world, it doesn't hold true.

EDIT: Additionally, what is the utility used to connect to internet on KMint?
On Ubuntu and Mint it is the network manager applet - which I use - and it has config for wired, wi-fi, mobile broadband. Most of the settings are pretty much pre-configured and work out of box.

In Kubuntu, I saw Knetwork manager application - but it had the mobile broadband grayed out.
and also read on the "interwebs" that knetwork manager is a poor replacement for the gnome network manager (present on Ubuntu/Mint).

So my question - which application is used to connect to internet on KMint?
Catmint

Post by Catmint »

alpha1 wrote:EDIT: Additionally, what is the utility used to connect to internet on KMint?
On Ubuntu and Mint it is the network manager applet - which I use - and it has config for wired, wi-fi, mobile broadband. Most of the settings are pretty much pre-configured and work out of box.
Dsl setup works fine with it as well, and it integrates nicely with the Kde system tray either.
alpha1 wrote:In Kubuntu, I saw Knetwork manager application - but it had the mobile broadband grayed out.
and also read on the "interwebs" that knetwork manager is a poor replacement for the gnome network manager (present on Ubuntu/Mint).
Yes, knetworkmanager is a very poor replacement indeed :evil:
Besides mobile broadbad issues and such, Dsl support is broken, so I can't connect to the net using it.
knetworkmanager is really the only part of Kde which I can only describe as poorly programmed junk :(
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

You and I come from two very different camps, so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
rec9140 wrote:
tonyric wrote:I disagree... Too many programs installed by default can easily cause overload and confusion.
I don't get that how is it confusing to have a menu list: Video PLayers

a,b,c,d

Try a... don't like it , try c,, better, not it yet,, no on d too... but b thats it.

Spell it out ... that you saying that because the menu has 4 choices of players that the user has no idea which to use? ? Really? :shock:

OK.. so we have Video Players... and it includes a, c, or d and ONLY one of these.

I click on it to run... and it starts and it just is hideous like Amarok in KDE 4...Bad feelings linger..thats not going to help keep possible converts.
tonyric wrote: Between synaptic and the packages available there, a user can easily find what they are looking for without dropping to a command line.
I wouldn't bet on that..... :mrgreen:

tonyric wrote: You mentioned media, ok, so, VLC works for me, gmplayer works for you. Both are available (hypothetically) by default. VLC is set as the default media manager OOTB, how does the user EASILY change th default actions?
No VLC works for me...better than Amarok in KDE 4.

Change the program...

Mint Button|Applications|Settings|Advanced User Settings|File Associations

Pretty similar to other OS's and its pointy/clicky.
tonyric wrote: how many people stray from iTunes or Windows Media player? Not very many. They take what the system manufacturer provides.
Nope, never used them.
tonyric wrote:"Pointy Clicky GUI" is available in Mint and Ubuntu, and SuSE and...... So, I think this "./configure && make && sudo make install" argument is no longer valid for well over 90% of the users. For the remaining 10% (like you and I) we have that available to us. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to compile anything manually (except for work) and finding replacement applications in synaptic is EASY.
Just for reference my "pointy/clicky thingy" refers to the various tools to access things from DEB's to synpatic/apt to distro specific like mint software manager....

So lets go to the pointy/clicky thing... I need virtualization... we use that vmware thing at work... type in vmware.. ZIPPO! NADDA! That applies across all of them... Now what? Ok... I'll goto to the VMWare site and just download it like I normally do for stuff.. its not a simple choice one DL.. You have to pick the RIGHT one... the SH installer not the RPM. Then guess what you need to run through the terminal to do this, and more than likely you need to patch it first. Fail.

Try another... p2p thats a good one... till recently Frostwire the best program for p2p was not included or available any other way than to download a DEB from the Frostwire site.. then it would error out on first run, unless done as sudo frostwire... after that it would run fine as the installed user(s)... The DEB wouldn't have solved that... I take it for granted that mint install resolved this glitch? ? Since I already had it and later KMints have it already? But the synaptic version would not have solved this either.

Lets try another of mine.. KMyMoney.... for what ever reason the OFX stuff never gets compiled into the versions available via the pointy/clicky thingy... What good is that? How do I do online banking? ?? Note: I consider online banking to be a program which DIRECTLY INTERFACES with my bank via OFX and downloads transactions and bill payments. Webtard banking involves human downloading of QIF files. I don't do webtard banking.

The solution is a private PPA... How does a new user get this? ? ? Falls into that catergory of must have features... "KMint can't even do online banking like my Xxxxx program!" KMyMoney COULD if they could use the version that supports it, but it never is made available to the people who really need it most , NEW USERS.

Synaptic etc. all make HUGE improvements... but its not 99% which is about the level of that other OS. Theres issues with install software on all OS's but the number of methods on Linux scare many off and are not as reliable.

That doesn't even begin to touch stuff that is not distributed via repos... or in RPM (ick...even with alien)...

Installing software on Linux is the ONE of the BIGGEST HURDLE to wider spread adoption in the home and business. With updates of software right there behind it... Prime example... OpenOffice...its a MAJOR PITA to get new versions to show up...AND its NOT the DEFAULT! OO should be as current as possible at time of release and the ability for ALL UPDATES of OO to show in Mint Update be it minor or major.

Return to “Software & Applications”