Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwelchok
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by jimwelchok »

I upgrade to mint 9 (gnome) and after trying it, I weep and wail until I get my KDE back!

AfterEight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AfterEight »

Oh so close and yet so far.
Mind you, I can smell New Mintyness in the air :D

Anticipation. Can't eat. Can't sleep.
I just keep refreshing my internet pages . . . . . . . :shock:

ijust know that sooner or later 'it' will be there :!: :!: :!:
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra ----+---- Dathon and Picard at El-Adrel IV
Registered as user #474278 with the Linux Counter

Flame_Phoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Flame_Phoenix »

I have several PCs with Intel I845 Graphics and Problems with Kubuntu 10.04.
Can we use Isadora KDE für this PCs?
If your problem is with the KDE graphic system using Linux Mint KDE version will NOT fix your problems. Instead you will have the same problems and probably more. I advise you to change to a GNOME graphic interface (such as Ubuntu) or to use the standard Isadora build (which come in GNOME). However, if you really want to use KDE, then you should really low the preferences and disable the 3D effects option (if you have it enabled). It may help you run the system faster.
If you still have problems with KDE or GNOME, try using a system that uses XFCE. Though I definitely do NOT recommend XFCE to any human being, you should try it if it is your only chance.

Hoping it helped.

algarues
Level 1
Level 1

Post by algarues »

Dear Boo

Do you think that it will be possible to release the 32 and 64 bit versions together?

My compliments for your amazing work, as mint kde is the best kde distro for me at the moment

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

There will only be a 32bit RC of mint kde.
But there will be a final 32 and 64bit mint kde.
There are not enough differences between 32 and 64 bit variants to make an RC for both.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

bunstonious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bunstonious »

Boo wrote:There will only be a 32bit RC of mint kde.
There are not enough differences between 32 and 64 bit variants to make an RC for both.
I have found that KUbuntu doesn't see more than 3ish GB of RAM in the 32-Bit version, is this the case with Mint? If so I think that is quite a reason, most people I know have 4GB of RAM these days at least.
kthxbai,

Bunstonious
Eternal Geek, Linux Freak...
Australian Linux Mint User
W: http://www.dark-spire.com
Random Facebook Group wrote:You cannot fathom the immensity of the f**k I do not give

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

bunstonious wrote:I have found that Kcrundtu doesn't see more than 3ish GB of RAM in the 32-Bit version, is this the case with KMint? If so I think that is quite a reason, most people I know have 4GB of RAM these days at least.
You need a PAE capable machine and a PAE enabled kernel on 32bit.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric »

I wish they would RC the 64bit version, not the 32bit.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

algarues
Level 1
Level 1

Post by algarues »

thanks

hopefully everything will go fine

Leit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Leit »

rec9140 wrote:
bunstonious wrote:I have found that Kcrundtu doesn't see more than 3ish GB of RAM in the 32-Bit version, is this the case with KMint? If so I think that is quite a reason, most people I know have 4GB of RAM these days at least.
You need a PAE capable machine and a PAE enabled kernel on 32bit.
Even with PAE you can only adress <4GB of RAM per process, which means you also shouldn't be able to "see" more even if it's used... but I've never tryed it^^.

and I'm still counting every second until the RC releases ^^

EDIT4Catmint: rather multithreading then swapping ;)
Last edited by Leit on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is interesting the way we create complex and powerful tools to save us
from the complex and powerful tools we created previously.

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

Boo wrote:
15-06-2010
Now posting progress to the Mint blog so look there for further updates.

Cheers
Boo

We're getting very, very close and I believe that we're now in the final stages.....something very good is coming our way....cheers

Andrew

Catmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Catmint »

Stupid decision - you should've rather made a 64-bit only RC and for the final, a 32-bit version as well.
I'll say Mint is dead for me then, as I really don't want to wait the remaining month or whatever until the RC comes out and then another month or two or however long until eventually 64-bit comes out :evil:
bunstonious wrote:I have found that KUbuntu doesn't see more than 3ish GB of RAM in the 32-Bit version, is this the case with Mint?
It's impossible for a 32-bit OS to see more than 3.25 GB, no matter what, regardless if it's Linux, Windows or whatever else. 32-bit applications (or processes, in general) are unable to use more than 2GB.
That's a limitation by the 32-bit architecture itself.
bunstonious wrote:If so I think that is quite a reason, most people I know have 4GB of RAM these days at least.
Same here, 4GB is very common today. I even have 8GB.
rec9140 wrote:You need a PAE capable machine and a PAE enabled kernel on 32bit.
Pae is nothing but an ugly hack :x
Pae systems are just as unable to see more than 3.25 GB, they just do a lot of swapping around to access the remaining memory. Of course, all that swapping costs quite a bit of performance, so you should really avoid it like the plague and only use it if forced to (e.g. because of an old junk cpu which doesn't support 64-bit).
Pae doesn't change the 2GB limit per app/process limitation either.

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Catmint wrote:
Stupid decision - you should've rather made a 64-bit only RC and for the final, a 32-bit version as well.
I'll say Mint is dead for me then, as I really don't want to wait the remaining month or whatever until the RC comes out and then another month or two or however long until eventually 64-bit comes out :evil:
Hows that a stupid decision? a 32bit OS will run on a 64bit Processor so Boo has opened up the RC to the widest audience possible which is the whole point of an RC, more testers = more bug reports

now if you read the blog post about the KDE edition by boo you will realise that boo for-seas that there won't be any major bugs that being the case it will only be a few more weeks till a final 32bit and 64bit release

If you don't want to wait then don't.

Just out of curiosity but what on earth do you need 8gb for? :shock:

ImraanK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImraanK »

So looking forward to this!!!

Wooooohooooooo

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric »

Carl wrote:
Catmint wrote:
Hows that a stupid decision? a 32bit OS will run on a 64bit Processor so Boo has opened up the RC to the widest audience possible which is the whole point of an RC, more testers = more bug reports

now if you read the blog post about the KDE edition by boo you will realise that boo for-seas that there won't be any major bugs that being the case it will only be a few more weeks till a final 32bit and 64bit release

If you don't want to wait then don't.

Just out of curiosity but what on earth do you need 8gb for? :shock:
Personally, I don't call it stupid, however, based on the poll run at the release of Helena, it was clear that there is a larger community (that cares) running the 64bit version. Now, I don't feel that there should only have been a 64bit version, but, releasing both simultaneously (or within a day or so) would open to the largest possible audience. There are those of us that refuse to run the 32bit editions (and, in fact won't run other versions of Mint due to no 64bit version). Therefore, those of us that are VERY capable of not only finding bugs, but have been rebuffed with offers of aid in helping roll ISO's, remediating bugs, etc. I do not consider myself to be the end-all be-all (in fact I am so far from it that the light from it would take years to reach me) but rolling custom distros is part of what I do for work. Dunno, to me, I feel the dev team is losing out on capable testers by excluding us from the testing process.

To answer your last question for me.... I run multiple virtual machines simultaneously, so to maintain performance of my laptop (specs below) I have maxed out this laptop to avoid swapping.

T
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

Carl wrote:Just out of curiosity but what on earth do you need 8gb for? :shock:
I have 8GB in both the two machines I've built in the last 6 months. I got deals...

Why I am planning to allow for VM's 1-2 GB for each VM and 4GB for my normal use... I want to be able to use my stable desktop and test out other things as well when 64 bit is ready with no issues then I will move over.

I don't spec any machine less than 4GB now...for several years.

Servers don't get less than 8GB for several years now too... Except for 2 very old servers all run CentOS 64 bit.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I see now I understand why 8gigs of ram is useful, multiple VM's makes sense :)

But for Boo alone to get a 32bit and 64bit RC out in his spare time is asking a bit much I see this as a compromise... I think maybe Linux Mint needs to consider bringing on bored some more elves :lol:

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

Catmint wrote:I'll say Mint is dead for me then, as I really don't want to wait the remaining month or whatever until the RC comes out and then another month or two or however long until eventually 64-bit comes out
Please remember that there's currently a perfectly viable, stable, 64-bit version of Linux Mint 8 KDE that was released a mere four (4) months ago.

That said, I doubt that it's going to be another month for the RC to be released for Linux Mint 9 KDE.

Joe

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

@ Catmint

Son....you sound like a spioled child who's throwing a temper tantrum because he can't have what he wants, when he wants and says "I don't wanna play any more because you won't do this thing my way" :cry: Get over it, sit down and wait just like the rest of us are doing....whinning isn't going to make Boo or anyone else complete this project any faster, or create something different just to please any one individual....the rest of us would like to have the LM9 RC out just as much as you, but we all have to be patient and wait till it gets here...so for right now, just chill...OK? Cheers

Andrew

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

Catmint wrote:I'll say Mint is dead for me then, as I really don't want to wait the remaining month or whatever until the RC comes out and then another month or two or however long until eventually 64-bit comes out :evil:
2 solutions:

1. Join the development team so that Boo is not the only person working on this, or
2. Pay a large sum of money to Boo so that he can take time off work and get it done faster.

There's only so much one man can do, and if he wants to get the most feedback while only having the time to work on a single release candidate then the 32-bit one is the only logical choice.

Return to “KDE”