Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by Chuckie »

andrew5859 wrote:@ Catmint

Son....you sound like a spioled child who's throwing a temper tantrum because he can't have what he wants, when he wants and says "I don't wanna play any more because you won't do this thing my way" :cry: Get over it, sit down and wait just like the rest of us are doing....whinning isn't going to make Boo or anyone else complete this project any faster, or create something different just to please any one individual....the rest of us would like to have the LM9 RC out just as much as you, but we all have to be patient and wait till it gets here...so for right now, just chill...OK? Cheers

Andrew
Thumbs up to you Andrew.

Well spoken.

warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by warriorpoet »

I miss Husse :(

User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by JoeFootball »

warriorpoet wrote:I miss Husse :(
You know, I was just thinking that myself. Let's all do our best to honor him by trying to emulate him.

Joe

greandreams
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by greandreams »

I have been eagerly awaiting the Mint 9 KDE release as I do with each mint KDE release. And it's maddening. :)

I have to admit that I too have found myself getting a little selfish. I get so tired of waiting for the KDE version. I started wishing the KDE version was the main version and the gnome version came out a month or two afterwords. This time I got so tired of waiting that I started thinking of going to another KDE distro (maybe even kubuntu), or installing KDE on the Mint gnome version and uninstalling gnome, which I did on my laptop with Mint 7 and have been using it for some time. One of my desktop machines has the official Mint 7 KDE. On another desktop machine I installed Mint 8 gnome on it but could not for the life of me get KDE to work on it. I never did find an answer to why I couldn't install KDE from the repos on Mint 8 gnome when it was effortless on Mint 7. I was very disappointed, even though I knew it wouldn't have the Mint team's tweaks. So I used the gnome version on that machine (after having to reinstall it a couple times) until the KDE version came out. I just wasn't ready to upgrade the Mint 7 machines yet because I just love it. I was going to try to install KDE on Mint 9 until I saw many people having trouble with that too so I guess I'm forced to wait for the official KDE edition. So I started getting way too impatient this time until today when I read this article,

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spo ... nux-mint-9

That made me realize once again that it is well worth the wait. Even though it's still maddening. :)

My hat is off to Clem and Boo and who ever else is on the Mint team. Absolutely great job. Mint is #1 IMO.

But one thing I do not understand is why aren't the betas released to the rest of us to look for bugs? It seems that would help speed up the process. Why are only the RCs released when they're just about finished already? Not that it would really matter to me since I'm not into beta testing, mainly because I don't feel I would be qualified, but I'm still wondering why this is?

SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:48 am

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by SxFlare »

greandreams wrote:But one thing I do not understand is why aren't the betas released to the rest of us to look for bugs? It seems that would help speed up the process. Why are only the RCs released when they're just about finished already? Not that it would really matter to me since I'm not into beta testing, mainly because I don't feel I would be qualified, but I'm still wondering why this is?
It's just the way the development system for Mint works, it's easier to catch the major bugs with thorough test plans and routines than it is to release alpha testing to the public. Especially in the case where the testers know how to report bugs accurately, rather than an obscure description by regular users.
Think of KDE as being in Closed Beta version, where only a small group are selected to test and report bugs.
The when the RC comes out, it'll be open beta when the bugs not caught by the testplan and caught by regular users.

EDIT: for a little bit more detail...
Speaking from a developer's point of view, I'd much quicker find bugs out if that someone knew what he was talking about :D or at least has a background with the system that is being worked on.
When talking to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, it gets confusing especially when there are misinterpretations. (Try ordering a pizza from Pizza Hut when you don't know any of the flavours or choices and all this is done on the phone, not easy)
Every input about bugs is good, but not all development regimes involve early alpha and beta releases

dequire
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by dequire »

Also it's worth noting that if one wants to help Mint KDE, you can (and should) either get involved with KDE directly or report bugs against Kubuntu - as that is the upstream project Mint KDE is based on.

And I agree that KDE should be the default DE for Mint, but IIRC Clem is a pretty big Gnome guy, so I don't see that happening. To me, Gnome is outdated technology and a terribly dumbed-down user experience. Plus it looks like Windows 98 at best. The future is KDE. My problem, and I suspect many others, is that Debian-based Linux solutions tend to be the best out there. Though other distro's are catching up quickly.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

User avatar
distrohopper
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by distrohopper »

Meh.. I can't math :P
Last edited by distrohopper on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techtype
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:56 am

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by techtype »

distrohopper wrote: Well, judging by the trends (http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php), it looks like Mint is in for almost a $500,000 year! You're telling me that Clem couldn't at least try to make it worth boo's time? Pfft. $500k (Thats half a million!!.. Heck even if it was only $250k/year) for riding Ubuntu's sh*tty coat tails is ridiculous. There's more than enough money to go around.
Would you mind rechecking your math? I don't get anything like that. I think you might be off by a factor of 10.

User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by JoeFootball »

We can also follow the testing progress of the ISO for Linux Mint 9 KDE on the Community website, here and here.

Joe

User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by JoeFootball »

greandreams wrote:But one thing I do not understand is why aren't the betas released to the rest of us to look for bugs? It seems that would help speed up the process. Why are only the RCs released when they're just about finished already? Not that it would really matter to me since I'm not into beta testing, mainly because I don't feel I would be qualified, but I'm still wondering why this is?
Have a look at Clem's latest (as I type this) blog post for more info on this. Specifically...
Clem wrote:We’re still dedicated to keep ISOs private until we’re fully happy with their quality. Ideally, I’d like to get to a stage where we have a large team of testers (between 20 and 30) who are 100% reliable, available most of the time and who fully understand the way we work. We need to be fast, but we also don’t want to lessen the quality of our testing by making it public. First, this would create a load on our development server that it could not handle, second, this would result in us getting too many reports and being unable to communicate on a one to one basis with testers to improve the way they understand our test cases, third, this would open the door to people distributing Linux Mint ISOs of bad quality and using them on their computers… and after all the efforts put into testing our system, we’d really would not like this to happen.
Joe

User avatar
TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by TacBeaver »

Hi there,
Boo wrote :
15-06-2010
Now posting progress to the Mint blog so look there for further updates.

Cheers
Boo
Sorry for this question :? , but can someone specify where exactly (link?) this Mint blog can be found ?
I would like to be informed whenever the RC is out there.

User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by rec9140 »

TacBeaver wrote:Sorry for this question :? , but can someone specify where exactly (link?) this Mint blog can be found ?
I would like to be informed whenever the RC is out there.
Review the following:

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1452&cpage=1

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1449
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by Andrew33 »

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1449

This is the page for the Mint Blog.....cheers

Andrew

greandreams
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by greandreams »

Thanks for the info I can see their reason for wanting to do the testing privately but I'm starting to think once again they need more people at the betas. Not trying to sound selfish (I know I'm about to though) but I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting. I know the KDE version is just a spare time thing with them. I'm going to try to install KDE in the gnome version and be done with it. If that doesn't work I may try Simply Mepis. It's too bad KDE isn't their first priority because IMO it would make a nearly perfect distro just perfect. I tried using gnome again and I just can't do it. :-) But I'm really going to try taking Mint 9 and just installing KDE from the repos (or even from the KDE site) and enjoy it that way and I'll just do that from now on I think. I'm sorry to Clem and anyone else if I sound whiny. You guys really do have an excellent distro. I really don't plan to leave. Just going to try installing KDE myself. :-)

User avatar
Catmint
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by Catmint »

greandreams wrote:But I'm really going to try taking Mint 9 and just installing KDE from the repos (or even from the KDE site) and enjoy it that way and I'll just do that from now on I think.
I'd strongly advise to avoid doing that. I tried installing Kde on top of Mint 9 and it pretty much ended up in a catastrophe:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p286699

Either wait the remaining month or two or whatever until it actually comes out, or try another distro with Kde - or just take Ubuntu 10.04 and install Kde on top of it from the Kubuntu repos, which works surprisingly well :D

greandreams
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by greandreams »

Catmint wrote:I tried installing Kde on top of Mint 9 and it pretty much ended up in a catastrophe
I'm wondering why that is. I had absolutely no problem doing that back in Mint 7 but it ended up breaking my system in Mint 8 and I was worried about that in 9. Does anyone know why is that? What did they do to the Mint gnome version that seems to make it impossible to do? I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional but just wondering. You say to just wait another month or two? hahaha I'm a KDE guy and I just need a distro that focuses on KDE from here on out so I guess I reluctantly have to go to another distro. And believe me I hate that because Mint is so excellent. I just can't believe it's so hard to install KDE on Mint 9. I have done that a few times in the past on a few gnome distros. I'm still going to give it a try. I don't give up that easily but I'm not going to work on it for days and days either. :-)

I'm not going to rant anymore because I'm sure you don't want to hear it. IMO it's just too bad KDE isn't given more of a priority in Mint. And I don't care what they say they need to let more people do the testing and not worry about trivial things just to get an RC out the door. If I get KDE working I'll post back but otherwise good luck to you all and the Mint team.

SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:48 am

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by SxFlare »

probably some missing dependencies or clash in some of the dependencies.
It can happen, however it is all still very hard to predict without in-depth knowledge.

There are a few alternatives that aren't bad choices to choose from to use until Mint KDE does come out as an RC

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by tonyric »

SxFlare wrote:probably some missing dependencies or clash in some of the dependencies.
It can happen, however it is all still very hard to predict without in-depth knowledge.

There are a few alternatives that aren't bad choices to choose from to use until Mint KDE does come out as an RC
PCLinuxOS (if you don't mind 32bit releases)
openSuSE (if you aren't anti Novell)
Sidux
Sabayon
Debian pure
Arch
Mepis
and....
Pardus

They are all very good in their own rights and listed in no particular order.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by thenewguy »

greandreams wrote:
Catmint wrote:I tried installing Kde on top of Mint 9 and it pretty much ended up in a catastrophe
I'm wondering why that is. I had absolutely no problem doing that back in Mint 7 but it ended up breaking my system in Mint 8 and I was worried about that in 9. Does anyone know why is that? What did they do to the Mint gnome version that seems to make it impossible to do? I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional but just wondering. You say to just wait another month or two? hahaha I'm a KDE guy and I just need a distro that focuses on KDE from here on out so I guess I reluctantly have to go to another distro. And believe me I hate that because Mint is so excellent. I just can't believe it's so hard to install KDE on Mint 9. I have done that a few times in the past on a few gnome distros. I'm still going to give it a try. I don't give up that easily but I'm not going to work on it for days and days either. :-)

I'm not going to rant anymore because I'm sure you don't want to hear it. IMO it's just too bad KDE isn't given more of a priority in Mint. And I don't care what they say they need to let more people do the testing and not worry about trivial things just to get an RC out the door. If I get KDE working I'll post back but otherwise good luck to you all and the Mint team.
I had that too. I installed KDE on top of Mint 8 and it completely borked by system. I tried to revert the changes, but ended up re-installing. Apparently kdm doesn't start-up properly... at least that's the nearest explanation I could come up with. I found that if I installed KDE but kept the gdm login tool, I could get by. But it did cause some other strange side effects. Next time I'm just going to install plain Mint KDE and stick with one desktop environment.

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by tonyric »

Clem has just approved the KDE 32bit ISO for RC. There are 4 known bugs according to the report and history (there are 5 listed but 1 could not be reproduced. I would expect the blog entry and download link to show up sometime soon.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

Post Reply

Return to “KDE”