Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deki_le

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by deki_le »

P.S. It is about Sis migrage 3 video card. Driver is reachable in this link:

http://tpurch-blog.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... -1004.html
bunstonious

Post by bunstonious »

distrohopper wrote:I *tried* installing Kubuntu to try and get a sneak-peek at what we might be in store for. I can't even install kubuntu though! I keep getting this:
(after I click continue it sends me back to the partitioner where none of my changes are saved. When I redo my partitions and try again I get sent back to the same message and partition editor.)

So, I figure.. Maybe there is some kind of problem that may be preventing this release from happening right now. I have a fairly linux-friendly computer.. so when something like this happens (and I'm getting NO help on the ubuntu forums either) it tells me there's some kind of problem here.
I haven't had this issue at all, but yeah I tried the same thing. It installed perfectly and ran great, I didn't have ANY of the problems that people are mentioning (and my laptop is normally NOT linux friendly). What point does it come up?
randomizer wrote:I had no issue with Kubuntu Lucid's stability, but damn it was sluggish.
I didn't have that problem at all. What does it do that is Sluggish?

I am testing openSUSE until mint 9 KDE comes out (this is the best time to test other distro's as I will be reformatting, and I know once Mint KDE comes out I won't be re installing for a while). If you are having issues with Ubuntu maybe try Debian? I would like to install a Debian Base and build a Mint. If I was shown how to do it, I definately would help with that! I am much more a fan of Debian than Ubuntu, but they are mostly the same.

If you wanna talk I am available on IRC, as the same name.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

The mouse cursor would simply freeze every now and then, and opening applications seemed rather slow. Both Mint 8 KDE and Kubuntu 10.04 take a while to logout (it just sits there for a few seconds doing nothing) so maybe that's just a KDE thing, but Mint lacked the rest of the sluggishness.

I've been thinking of trying Debian for some time so I can circumvent some of the horrible patches Ubuntu has for Metacity, although this week's weekly Testing build didn't even let me format a partition for / in VirtualBox so I don't want to destroy my partially setup Mint 8 KDE install only to find I can't even format the partition :|
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

I get that mouse freezing and sluggish-ness all the time with MintKDE8 on my laptop. Had to run the liveCD on Compatibility mode (as normal mode would just freeze after the kernel loads)
Never managed to get it to install properly, due to some input/output error that kept happening during installtion.

Strangely worked 100% on my girlfriend's laptop.
Hoping MintKDE9 won't do this though
bunstonious

Post by bunstonious »

I wouldn't mind knowing how to "Mintify" a distro so that I could do that with Debian.
bunstonious

Post by bunstonious »

SxFlare wrote:I get that mouse freezing and sluggish-ness all the time with MintKDE8 on my laptop. Had to run the liveCD on Compatibility mode (as normal mode would just freeze after the kernel loads)
Never managed to get it to install properly, due to some input/output error that kept happening during installtion.

Strangely worked 100% on my girlfriend's laptop.
Hoping MintKDE9 won't do this though
Sounds like a Kernel issue. Maybe try Mint with another Kernel?
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

People need to specify to use debian unstable as opposed to stable. I attempted to install debian stable, and it turns out, it is so old and out of date it is unable to recognize the Ethernet adapter that is built in to my old ASUS P5N-D mobo.

Fedora KDE isn't too bad, I just do not like how they prevent you from gaining root privileges via a gui. (like to become root without the terminal, you need to logout and log back in using "root" as the user name). Which wastes a bunch of time IMO.

Remember if you are using openSUSE or Fedora, you need to download the mp3 codecs (and other proprietary drivers and codecs) because they are not included by default in the OS like mint does.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

@Keljaden

Depending on what type of distro you're using, and the make of the machine (whether desktop or laptop), each distro behaves differently on different machines. I had a bugger of a time getting LM8 KDE to run on a Power Spec 6340 tower....was really glitchy and would stall on the dvd setup proceedure . I'm guessing that your ASUS is a desktop....how old is it BTW, because that plays into how well it (the distro) or not, it installs. You just have to play with it and see what works and what doesn't. Since my last attempt at installing LM8 on the PowerSpec, I changed the HDD from a 160GB to a 320GB, so maybe I'll try LM8 KDE again and see what happens, I'd rather do it with LM9 KDE and see if that works.......let me know, maybe I can help further....cheers

Andrew
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

the ASUS P5N-D mobo is in my desktop I built. I got the moboabout 2 years ago, but the model itself is about 3 or 4 yrs old as of now.
8800GT Zotac Amp OC edition
320GB hdd
Intel E8400 3.0ghz dual core
4gigs DDR2
600watt psu
cooler master centurion c-5
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

What distro are you trying to install, and you said your Mobo is an ASUS?
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

debian stable had that problem. Every other distro (apart from backtrack) pretty much works fine. And I have tried at least 20 different ones.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

What current distro are you working with now (specifically)

Andrew
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Clem has mintified Debian before, and he maybe going to doing again.
I am looking at making a Debian KDE mint edition.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
bunstonious

Post by bunstonious »

Boo wrote:Clem has mintified Debian before, and he maybe going to doing again.
I am looking at making a Debian KDE mint edition.
I think it would be good, but I don't know if there are any problems with that. I know that Debian has a much longer release cycle, and doesn't include alot of stuff. So might be more work.

Anyways, I am using Debian Squeeze at the moment :)
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

I'd go for debian unstable then, or at least something other than the stable release. Yes debian is very stable, but I think they are lagging to far behind atm.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

bunstonious wrote:Sounds like a Kernel issue. Maybe try Mint with another Kernel?
Yeah, going to download MintKDE7, if 9 does the same thing with loading... and 6 if that fails as well.
I'm not sure how to mess with kernel settings, except with a very vague idea on upgrading the version only :P
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

SxFlare wrote:
bunstonious wrote:Sounds like a Kernel issue. Maybe try Mint with another Kernel?
Yeah, going to download MintKDE7, if 9 does the same thing with loading... and 6 if that fails as well.
I'm not sure how to mess with kernel settings, except with a very vague idea on upgrading the version only :P
You know that both openSUSE and Fedora have really well done KDE editions, right? The new release of OpenSUSE 11.3 is coming out in July, and Fedora 13 is already here.

Those are great options if you need to use KDE.

Also, I hope they post the links to the mirrors as soon as they r up. I hate waiting for the page to update, and I would like to start with a clean setup on my desktop. Thanks to some new updates with wine, I only need windows in a VM. I am happy.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

keljaden wrote:You know that both openSUSE and Fedora have really well done KDE editions, right? The new release of OpenSUSE 11.3 is coming out in July, and Fedora 13 is already here.

Those are great options if you need to use KDE.

Also, I hope they post the links to the mirrors as soon as they r up. I hate waiting for the page to update, and I would like to start with a clean setup on my desktop. Thanks to some new updates with wine, I only need windows in a VM. I am happy.
Yeah, I've considered other distributions, and would try it later on too.
I'm not so keen on Fedora to be honest, it's more of a personal issue than the distribution itself.
Not really a must to use KDE for me, just looking at it to try out like I have with other DEs.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Fedora KDE just looks like a stock standard distro with KDE thrown in instead of GNOME. That may appeal to some though.
keljaden

Post by keljaden »

So i gave fedora 13 64 bit kde spin a go on my desktop.

3.0ghz dual core 4 gigs ram and a 8800GT

It ran slow...Like, windows 7 was faster than it...It was just terrible. and there is no GUI for their package manager.

I download unetbooting, and made a flash of LM9 and I have it up and running now on my desktop. So much faster than Fedora.

I am hoping to give openSUSE a go when it comes out though. I just hope it's not too slow for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”