Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by vincent » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

keljaden wrote:I am confused, why is there 32 bit only. I recall that the final say was 64 bit FTW!!! I was hoping to just install the RC and be done with it. I is sad again...

and thanks to everyone who uploaded/posted the links...and shame/banishment upon those who wanted to hide them...
Looks like there's only a 32-bit RC available, but relax, there'll be a 64-bit version released once it's out of RC, I believe. In the meantime, even if you have a 64-bit compatible CPU, you can still give the 32-bit version a test drive.

Mathius Quest, there are a lot of linux distribution mirrors, more than enough mirrors to accomodate everyone, so overloaded servers aren't really a valid excuse. I mean, come on, if the servers get overloaded simply by the demand for a unannounced RC of a community edition of a single Linux distro, there is something seriously wrong with those servers/mirrors.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:05 am

Just took a spin with the new RC and very impressed and excited for the final release. All of the few problems I've been having in my current M8 KDE (w/ 4.4.2 installed) were fixed.

A couple of issues though:

1) The B43 broadcom wifi driver worked, but only after having to download the b43-fwcutter from the synaptic.

2) The STA broadcom driver wouldn't install at all (but don't really care because I prefer to use the B43 driver).

3) It would be nice to pre-install mplayerthumbs for video thumbnails.

4) Experienced a Firefox font rendering problem after changing desktop appearances which I couldn't fix. I started separate thread about it here because it also happened on other flavors.
Last edited by mintnoob on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chakra Linux

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:19 am

For some reason the first two times I rebooted it started searching for restricted drivers before finally continuing the reboot process.

greandreams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greandreams » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:02 am

I got KDE installed on Mint 9 main via Synaptic and it seems to be working good. It installed easily. I installed kde-minimal and selected the kdm login manager and KDE seems good. I just got this done a few minutes ago so I'm not sure if there's any bugs yet. I may try installing kde-full and see how it works. I looked for the LCD weather station widget, which I have used since Mint 7 and had it installed in kubuntu once but it's not there and when I tried to download new widgets nothing seemed to happen. Maybe a bug? Or maybe that widget is no longer available? If it's not I'm not going to be happy about that one but I assume that's a KDE thing not a Mint thing. :-) But maybe it's because I installed the kde-minimal. Either way, I got KDE installed and it seems to be working to my surprise.

OK got the LCD weather station by installing plasma-widgets-addons.

I'm happy. :-)

M_aD
Level 3
Level 3

Post by M_aD » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:28 am

vincent wrote: Mathius Quest, there are a lot of linux distribution mirrors, more than enough mirrors to accomodate everyone, so overloaded servers aren't really a valid excuse. I mean, come on, if the servers get overloaded simply by the demand for a unannounced RC of a community edition of a single Linux distro, there is something seriously wrong with those servers/mirrors.
Look vincent, i thought the RC was only uploaded on the Mint server and didn't know it was already on the other ones at that time. If i knew that it was uploaded that fast to the other mirrors i would have posted a link.
Also... i am busy with other more important things so i can't check out everything. With this i'm ending the discussion.

Most of us have the RC now so move on and have fun testing.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:40 am

mintnoob wrote:Is there a list of differences yet? I don't see much difference from 8 (though I have 8 upgraded to 4.4.2 KDE). Not saying an upgrade won't be worth it (I wanting the KDE 4.4.4), but didn't see much difference, although not a bad thing because M8KDE rocked!
There's the What's New section of the Release Notes.

EDIT: There's this blog posting too.

Joe
Last edited by JoeFootball on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:51 am

Here's a list of all the Download Mirrors.

Joe

Catmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Catmint » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:39 pm

JoeFootball wrote:There's the What's New section
From the new features list:
The KDE edition of Linux Mint now uses the KDE Network Manager, as opposed to the Gnome Network Manager used in previous releases.
What's up with this faggotry? :evil:

I clearly remember posting here some time ago already (in the "ideas" thread) about how Dsl support in Knetworkmanager was badly broken, making it unusable - and I wasn't the only one to post about problems with Knetworkmanager, either.
This really is a very insensible choice :x

That disqualifies Mint 9 Kde as possible choice for me, not having working internet is an absolute no-go. Mint 9 Gnome can't be used either, because installing Kde on top of it breaks things badly, see here (no idea why - works fine on Ubuntu).
All the long wait - for nothing. Well, at least I won't need to have another endless wait until the 64-bit version comes out.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Catmint wrote:What's up with this faggotry? :evil:

I clearly remember posting here some time ago already (in the "ideas" thread) about how Dsl support in Knetworkmanager was badly broken, making it unusable - and I wasn't the only one to post about problems with Knetworkmanager, either.
While I am still performing my RC tests.....

1) Did you try the RC to see if it resolves your issue(s) BEFORE posting? If as big a KDE 4 hater as I am, I willing to at least spin the DVD for a trial....

2)What does DSL have to do with connecting to your network via wired or wireless? No one connects direct to a DSL modem, not in 2010 any way. Maybe in 1990. Even when I used dialup I had a modem based router Netgear RM356.

What kind of router do you have that the LAN connection to it via 801.11[a|b|g|n] or wired is not compatible with KNetworkManager...? ?

Have you tried a manual config for IP, Netmask, gateway, DNS ? ? v. DHCP?

I very rarely see issues, especially if on a wired LAN, with connecting to a router and then on to the internet unless there is some issue with the DHCP packet, which 10/10 going to a manual config solves it.

Start a new thread with DSL Modem and Router Make and model, LAN chipset and what you have tried to resolve it.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Catmint wrote:What's up with this faggotry? :evil:
What's up with the offensive pejorative?
That disqualifies Mint 9 Kde as possible choice for me.
Considering it's not even out yet... :roll:

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm

KDE Network Manager doesn't work correctly with hidden wireless networks which is quite a pain. You need to have a broadcasting SSID to connect first, then you can hide it.

Return to “KDE”