Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by vincent »

keljaden wrote:I am confused, why is there 32 bit only. I recall that the final say was 64 bit FTW!!! I was hoping to just install the RC and be done with it. I is sad again...

and thanks to everyone who uploaded/posted the links...and shame/banishment upon those who wanted to hide them...
Looks like there's only a 32-bit RC available, but relax, there'll be a 64-bit version released once it's out of RC, I believe. In the meantime, even if you have a 64-bit compatible CPU, you can still give the 32-bit version a test drive.

Mathius Quest, there are a lot of linux distribution mirrors, more than enough mirrors to accomodate everyone, so overloaded servers aren't really a valid excuse. I mean, come on, if the servers get overloaded simply by the demand for a unannounced RC of a community edition of a single Linux distro, there is something seriously wrong with those servers/mirrors.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

Just took a spin with the new RC and very impressed and excited for the final release. All of the few problems I've been having in my current M8 KDE (w/ 4.4.2 installed) were fixed.

A couple of issues though:

1) The B43 broadcom wifi driver worked, but only after having to download the b43-fwcutter from the synaptic.

2) The STA broadcom driver wouldn't install at all (but don't really care because I prefer to use the B43 driver).

3) It would be nice to pre-install mplayerthumbs for video thumbnails.

4) Experienced a Firefox font rendering problem after changing desktop appearances which I couldn't fix. I started separate thread about it here because it also happened on other flavors.
Last edited by mintnoob on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chakra Linux
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

For some reason the first two times I rebooted it started searching for restricted drivers before finally continuing the reboot process.
greandreams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greandreams »

I got KDE installed on Mint 9 main via Synaptic and it seems to be working good. It installed easily. I installed kde-minimal and selected the kdm login manager and KDE seems good. I just got this done a few minutes ago so I'm not sure if there's any bugs yet. I may try installing kde-full and see how it works. I looked for the LCD weather station widget, which I have used since Mint 7 and had it installed in kubuntu once but it's not there and when I tried to download new widgets nothing seemed to happen. Maybe a bug? Or maybe that widget is no longer available? If it's not I'm not going to be happy about that one but I assume that's a KDE thing not a Mint thing. :-) But maybe it's because I installed the kde-minimal. Either way, I got KDE installed and it seems to be working to my surprise.

OK got the LCD weather station by installing plasma-widgets-addons.

I'm happy. :-)
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

vincent wrote: Mathius Quest, there are a lot of linux distribution mirrors, more than enough mirrors to accomodate everyone, so overloaded servers aren't really a valid excuse. I mean, come on, if the servers get overloaded simply by the demand for a unannounced RC of a community edition of a single Linux distro, there is something seriously wrong with those servers/mirrors.
Look vincent, i thought the RC was only uploaded on the Mint server and didn't know it was already on the other ones at that time. If i knew that it was uploaded that fast to the other mirrors i would have posted a link.
Also... i am busy with other more important things so i can't check out everything. With this i'm ending the discussion.

Most of us have the RC now so move on and have fun testing.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

mintnoob wrote:Is there a list of differences yet? I don't see much difference from 8 (though I have 8 upgraded to 4.4.2 KDE). Not saying an upgrade won't be worth it (I wanting the KDE 4.4.4), but didn't see much difference, although not a bad thing because M8KDE rocked!
There's the What's New section of the Release Notes.

EDIT: There's this blog posting too.

Joe
Last edited by JoeFootball on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

Here's a list of all the Download Mirrors.

Joe
Catmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Catmint »

JoeFootball wrote:There's the What's New section
From the new features list:
The KDE edition of Linux Mint now uses the KDE Network Manager, as opposed to the Gnome Network Manager used in previous releases.
What's up with this faggotry? :evil:

I clearly remember posting here some time ago already (in the "ideas" thread) about how Dsl support in Knetworkmanager was badly broken, making it unusable - and I wasn't the only one to post about problems with Knetworkmanager, either.
This really is a very insensible choice :x

That disqualifies Mint 9 Kde as possible choice for me, not having working internet is an absolute no-go. Mint 9 Gnome can't be used either, because installing Kde on top of it breaks things badly, see here (no idea why - works fine on Ubuntu).
All the long wait - for nothing. Well, at least I won't need to have another endless wait until the 64-bit version comes out.
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

Catmint wrote:What's up with this faggotry? :evil:

I clearly remember posting here some time ago already (in the "ideas" thread) about how Dsl support in Knetworkmanager was badly broken, making it unusable - and I wasn't the only one to post about problems with Knetworkmanager, either.
While I am still performing my RC tests.....

1) Did you try the RC to see if it resolves your issue(s) BEFORE posting? If as big a KDE 4 hater as I am, I willing to at least spin the DVD for a trial....

2)What does DSL have to do with connecting to your network via wired or wireless? No one connects direct to a DSL modem, not in 2010 any way. Maybe in 1990. Even when I used dialup I had a modem based router Netgear RM356.

What kind of router do you have that the LAN connection to it via 801.11[a|b|g|n] or wired is not compatible with KNetworkManager...? ?

Have you tried a manual config for IP, Netmask, gateway, DNS ? ? v. DHCP?

I very rarely see issues, especially if on a wired LAN, with connecting to a router and then on to the internet unless there is some issue with the DHCP packet, which 10/10 going to a manual config solves it.

Start a new thread with DSL Modem and Router Make and model, LAN chipset and what you have tried to resolve it.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

Catmint wrote:What's up with this faggotry? :evil:
What's up with the offensive pejorative?
That disqualifies Mint 9 Kde as possible choice for me.
Considering it's not even out yet... :roll:
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

KDE Network Manager doesn't work correctly with hidden wireless networks which is quite a pain. You need to have a broadcasting SSID to connect first, then you can hide it.

Return to “KDE”