Re: Isadora KDE Development Progress Report

Post by keljaden » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Once you go Mint, you don't go back!

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 am

Looking forward to Isadora. Mint 8 KDE is really the only KDE distro I've spent more than an hour or two playing with. Never really liked KDE, but I'm finding it more interesting the more I play with it. I still think the Oxygen window decorations are ugly as hell though.

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:07 pm

randomizer wrote:I still think the Oxygen window decorations are ugly as hell though.
You do realize you can change those, right? Also it is A LOT easier to customize KDE 4 (than any other DE in my opinion) to get the look and feel you want.

Linux Mint 8 KDE is what made me switch to KDE.

I keep trying to check out other Linux distro's and honestly nothing compares (for my needs) to ANY of the mint releases I have used.

Boo, I can not wait to get the RC up and running on my Desktop....I am dying for this new release.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:34 pm

randomizer wrote:I still think the Oxygen window decorations are ugly as hell though.
Kind of ironic... that they look like they need some Oxygen.... :D
keljaden wrote: You do realize you can change those, right? Also it is A LOT easier to customize KDE 4 (than any other DE in my opinion) to get the look and feel you want..
All of them still look like they lack any form of life and vibrance... they all look like some one wanted to cover them in a thin film of smoke or something....
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm

keljaden wrote:Boo, do you have a rough estimate on how long before your release? .
Yep that would be great Boo, i can't wait for this release as well.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 pm

keljaden wrote:You do realize you can change those, right? Also it is A LOT easier to customize KDE 4 (than any other DE in my opinion) to get the look and feel you want.
Window decorations seem to be a bit more finicky to change because you need to install binary or source themes manually. But as rec9140 said, the ones that are available aren't that great. They're either Windows rips, incredibly tacky designs and colours or some minor change to Oxygen that I can't even pick out (yet they get the highest rated). Granted, I've mostly looked at KDE4 native window decorations on kde-look.org, not many other places.

Zom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 am

Nothing wrong with the oxygen window decorator. It gets a lot better with bespin as window style and a good colour scheme though.
screenshot2.png
screenshot2.png (532.06 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
Plasma theme: Ember
Colour scheme: Hallow
Window decorator: Oxygen/Ozone
Icon theme: Footwork

Just because the default sucks doesn't necessarily make it bad. :)

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am

It's not the decorator that is the problem, it's the default decoration ;) It would be nice if they gave it a nicer look, it reminds me of OSX 10.0 somewhat. Of course "nice" is completely subjective. Perhaps I'm also getting my decoration/decorator/theme/style/scheme terminology in a knot as well and didn't mean Oxygen at all.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:59 am

Nice look Zom.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 am

Zom wrote:Just because the default sucks doesn't necessarily make it bad. :)
ALL the themes in general seem to have this washed out, over saturated look to them. To me they all look like some smoke haze is present.

The icon sets in various themes from the default and on ... look like rejects from some cartoon animator wannabe.

The KDE 3.5.x icons were clean, crisp, and professional looking... none I've seen from KDE 4.x meet any of the three.

Zom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 am

randomizer wrote:It's not the decorator that is the problem, it's the default decoration ;) It would be nice if they gave it a nicer look, it reminds me of OSX 10.0 somewhat. Of course "nice" is completely subjective. Perhaps I'm also getting my decoration/decorator/theme/style/scheme terminology in a knot as well and didn't mean Oxygen at all.
Oh, yes I agree, the default isn't what I'd call "pretty" either.
Boo wrote:Nice look Zom.
Thank you.
rec9140 wrote:ALL the themes in general seem to have this washed out, over saturated look to them. To me they all look like some smoke haze is present.

The icon sets in various themes from the default and on ... look like rejects from some cartoon animator wannabe.

The KDE 3.5.x icons were clean, crisp, and professional looking... none I've seen from KDE 4.x meet any of the three.
Could you whip up a picture? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. :)

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 am

Zo wrote:Could you whip up a picture? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. :)
Washed out
Washed out
theme.png (586.09 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
The areas I marked are just a few of the areas... the whole thing looks like the glass on a window that is coated with dirt and needs to be cleaned.

The icons are so over saturated that I can not see the details to see that that is a hard disk. Its just barely visible to distinguish what it is.

Zom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zom » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 am

rec9140 wrote:The areas I marked are just a few of the areas... the whole thing looks like the glass on a window that is coated with dirt and needs to be cleaned.

The icons are so over saturated that I can not see the details to see that that is a hard disk. Its just barely visible to distinguish what it is.
Alright, I don't know about the icons, but that sounds like you have the monitor gamma turned up (I know, it might be a poor excuse, sorry).

How's this for the decos?
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (103.03 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Does that improve anything?

blazemore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blazemore » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:33 pm

@Boo
How/when will the Release Candidate be announced?
Thanks

distrohopper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by distrohopper » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:10 pm

blazemore wrote:@Boo
How/when will the Release Candidate be announced?
Thanks
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p281965

It's always like this though.. so I hope you are patient.

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 am

I love the day by day updates boo, it is all that is keeping me from going insane...I can not wait to see the masterpiece that you have created.

GhoS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GhoS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:53 am

Its interesting how rec9140 says parts of the KDE decorations are washed out, when I think of Gnome I mostly think of how boring the look of it is. I find KDE to be much more vibrant. Either way both default looks can be customized in many ways.

Either way its all Linux, so whatever you prefer to use is great. Its why I use Linux, because we have choices.

distrohopper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by distrohopper » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:34 am

I still think we should have at least an RC by now. However, I *tried* installing Kubuntu to try and get a sneak-peek at what we might be in store for. I can't even install kubuntu though! I keep getting this:
(after I click continue it sends me back to the partitioner where none of my changes are saved. When I redo my partitions and try again I get sent back to the same message and partition editor.)

So, I figure.. Maybe there is some kind of problem that may be preventing this release from happening right now. I have a fairly linux-friendly computer.. so when something like this happens (and I'm getting NO help on the ubuntu forums either) it tells me there's some kind of problem here.

All I want is a fricken .deb based KDE distro that WORKS. Mint 8 KDE wouldn't install on my computer either. The only recent KDE distro that HAS WORKED (that I've tried) is PCLinuxOS. It installs easily, and they have an apt (synaptic) package manager BUT it's RPM-based apt. There's really crappy support for a lot of programs you'd find in the Ubuntu repos. Their repos are community-based and they only build stuff if there is enough support for it. So yeah, it's pretty crappy if you want something obscure.

I'm really wavering right now. I LOVE.. and I mean LOVE my linux, but I want a WORKING operating system... I've had a bunch of issues with X crashing lately (since Isadora's release). And now with a lot of distros not letting me install KDE properly.. maybe I should go back to windows. At least it's stable enough to use.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:53 am

I had no issue with Kubuntu Lucid's stability, but damn it was sluggish.

deki_le
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deki_le » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 am

I think Isadora KDE should iclude SIS mirage video driver. There is 2d driver for this video card now. And, off course, Isadora KDE should have better network manager than Kubuntu, Kubuntu 10.04 do not have pppoe configuration option!

Return to “KDE”