Release date for Mint 9 KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kooldino
Level 1
Level 1

Release date for Mint 9 KDE?

Post by kooldino »

I'm a current Kubuntu user, but have read many good things about Mint KDE. I realize that Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, and since 10.04 is now released, I was wondering if there was an ETA for Mint 9 KDE?

Also, how big of a transition is it from Kubuntu to Mint KDE?

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Release date for Mint 9 KDE?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There is no fixed release schedule for Mint . The developers would rather put out a quality product than meet a fixed release date.

Mint 9 Main Edition will be released sometime in May or early June. Exact release date will be determined by the number and difficulty of required bug fixes from Ubuntu 10.04. The KDE Edition is usually the first version released after the Main Edition so look for it from late May to mid June.

Mint 9 KDE will be built from Kubuntu so there will be many similarities. Mint KDE will also include many of the Mint tools used in the Main Edition and the non-free and/or proprietary codes and software needed to run commercial DVDs, CDs, and other things that Kubuntu requires you to download and install for yourself.

Mint 9 KDE will also come with many of the Kubuntu bugs fixed so it will be easier to use and more stable.
Registered Linux User 483387

kooldino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kooldino »

That sounds doable. Whenever a new Kubuntu release comes out, I generally give it a month or so for many of the bugs to get worked out.

It sounds as if the mint team has a similar mentality, so would it be safe to assume that mint is very stable and glitch free out of the box?

As for the release schedule, since mint doesn't have a set schedule and it IS somewhat based off of the april/october ubuntu schedules, would it be safe to say that mint comes out 1-2 months after the ubuntu version it's based on?

Also, does mint use the same rough LTS cycle as ubuntu?

Sorry for all of the noob questions.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To answer your questions in order,

1. Mint will be more stable at release than Kubuntu but there are no guarantees that the dev team will find all bugs before the release. That's why Mint is initially offered as a Release Candidate, not a final release. The final release is usually 2-4 weeks after the RC.

2.Yes, at least for the Main Edition. The "Community Editions" XFCE, LXDE, KDE, and Fluxbox are released as soon after the Main Edition as the developer/maintainer of each can get an ISO approved by clem.

3. Yes. Mint 9 is an LTS and will be supported for three years.

Don't apologize for not knowing this stuff. There is a statement at the top of the Newbie Questions sub-forum
There are no such things as "stupid" questions.
To which I would add "The only stupid question is the one you do not ask." and "The only stupid person is the one who refuses to learn."
Registered Linux User 483387

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden »

Thanks for asking actually, I was confused one release dates myself.

I am glad to hear you put quality over release dates like some other people I know.....*cough* conical *cough*

Kubuntu 10.04 was trash IMO...my Optical drive doesn't work in it...

I have tons of faith in the devs at mint though. They do not disappoint. 100% quality. And yeah, they are known for their "out of box ready" distro awesome sauce epic-ness.

kooldino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kooldino »

keljaden wrote:Thanks for asking actually, I was confused one release dates myself.

I am glad to hear you put quality over release dates like some other people I know.....*cough* conical *cough*

I have tons of faith in the devs at mint though. They do not disappoint. 100% quality. And yeah, they are known for their "out of box ready" distro awesome sauce epic-ness.
Speaking of 10.04, they apparently forgot to put the plasma desktop in their upgrade scripts. Epic fail.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9205108

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden »

That's a perfect example of why we need Boo watching out for us =)

Mint KDE is so amazing, I am using it on my two primary machines right now and it is the most polished KDE distro I have ever used.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

keljaden wrote:That's a perfect example of why we need Boo watching out for us =)

Mint KDE is so amazing, I am using it on my two primary machines right now and it is the most polished KDE distro I have ever used.
This is EXACTLY why Canonicial should FIRE the entire Krapubuntu team. Theres the door get out! NOW! I've told matt assay this point blank when he took over...too bad, this is OUR GAIN and Canonicials loss.. HUGE LOSS.

Boo and the KMint team have shown they KNOW how to clean up a total mess from Krapubuntu to kVista 4.x. Thats what sold me lock stock and barrel. And what turned me into one of the staunches Linux zealots out there.. I don't do windows! Litterally and figuratively. :)

This is what is so dishearting to seek great software like KDE get trashed upstream.... which is why I still have no plans to move past KMint Elyssa beyond a testing VM and machine.....and one of the reasons I quit reading the KDE forums as I was about to stroke out.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

keljaden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keljaden »

I personally like KDE 4.4 right now...
But I do agree that the Kubuntu team doesn't do a very good job.

They always put that release cycle before the quality of their release.

I have given PCLinuxOS a try recently and I must say, they are on par with mint in many ways. (but Mint is still the primary of my main machine).

tonyric
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tonyric »

keljaden wrote:I personally like KDE 4.4 right now...
But I do agree that the Kubuntu team doesn't do a very good job.

They always put that release cycle before the quality of their release.

I have given PCLinuxOS a try recently and I must say, they are on par with mint in many ways. (but Mint is still the primary of my main machine).
Except, they are still 100% 32bit.
Dell XPS 13 (9360) QHD+, i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD
Bemoaning the death of Linux Mint KDE

Using Linux since 1994 Slackware v2.1

Catmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Catmint »

tonyric wrote:Except, they are still 100% 32bit.
Yes, and this thick-headed insistence on vintage 32-bit instantly disqualifies them for me :evil:
They seem to have a fetish for antiquities, anyway... it took them ages to drop that vintage Kde 3.5 :roll:

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

Catmint wrote:They seem to have a fetish for antiquities, anyway... it took them ages to drop that vintage Kde 3.5 :roll:
Your "vintage" is my refined, STABLE and USEABLE desktop.... :D
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

rec9140 wrote:
Catmint wrote:They seem to have a fetish for antiquities, anyway... it took them ages to drop that vintage Kde 3.5 :roll:
Your "vintage" is my refined, STABLE and USEABLE desktop.... :D
KDE 3 wasn't really very stable until 3.5.6 came out,

sythe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sythe »

kooldino wrote:
keljaden wrote:Thanks for asking actually, I was confused one release dates myself.

Speaking of 10.04, they apparently forgot to put the plasma desktop in their upgrade scripts. Epic fail.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9205108
Yep, I remember when they forgot Plasma. It messed up my KDE, and I had to use GNOME.
Not to mention the network manager hell. GNOME's network manager worked perfectly with the laptop's wireless card, but KDE's didn't work at all.
Maybe they should wait for KDE 4.5 before releasing Isadora...It's already in beta.

Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie »

keljaden wrote:That's a perfect example of why we need Boo watching out for us =)

You said it brother, i am rather new to Linux, but i have tried a few distros and i always come back to Mint, i find it to be the best distro out there, be it gnome or kde, but i prefer kde.

Can't wait for the Mint kde 9 release, whoohoo.

Return to “KDE”