Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vortexmak
Level 1
Level 1

Differnces between Mint KDE and Ubuntu with KDE

Post by vortexmak » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am

Hi,

I was using LM KDE but I recently went back to windows because I am facing some problems with GNOME app themes(http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=48110) which has slowed down my Firefox to a crawl. I have also not been able to find a suitable replacement for foobar in Linux.

I think I would need to reinstall Linux. I was now thinking of trying out GNOME as I mostly use GTK based apps in KDE as well and also add KDE full package to it.

My question is what I would be missing in Ubuntu+KDE as compared to LM KDE (apart from the mint tools).

Thanks

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Differnces between Mint KDE and Ubuntu with KDE

Post by JasonLG » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 am

vortexmak wrote:Hi,

I was using LM KDE but I recently went back to windows because I am facing some problems with GNOME app themes(http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=48110) which has slowed down my Firefox to a crawl. I have also not been able to find a suitable replacement for foobar in Linux.

I think I would need to reinstall Linux. I was now thinking of trying out GNOME as I mostly use GTK based apps in KDE as well and also add KDE full package to it.

My question is what I would be missing in Ubuntu+KDE as compared to LM KDE (apart from the mint tools).

Thanks
What features in foobar do you miss the most? It would be helpful to know if you want suggestions for a replacement.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

GhoS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GhoS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 am

If you like Mint, why are you considering doing Ubuntu + KDE, why not Linux Mint Main +KDE ?
Though truthfully adding another DE can cause some issues or conflicts in any system. Most GTK programs should work fine in KDE, though yes some won't work as well, sounds like something borked your system.

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 pm

GhoS wrote:If you like Mint, why are you considering doing Ubuntu + KDE, why not Linux Mint Main +KDE ?
Though truthfully adding another DE can cause some issues or conflicts in any system. Most GTK programs should work fine in KDE, though yes some won't work as well, sounds like something borked your system.
I think the OP means the KDE versions of Ubuntu and Mint.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

vortexmak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vortexmak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 am

No ..I meant Ubuntu + KDE only not LM

Ubuntu is the most widely used distro and Ubuntu 10 looks really good, i.e. the theme, interface and the integration they have done between the taskbar, applications, etc.
Ubuntu now looks like a modern OS and gives a uniform overall feel akin to Windows 7.
Personally I prefer the power of KDE as opposed to the oversimplified GNOME but I find that I am mostly using GTK apps plus everybody supports GTK

Thats why I wanted to know, what changes would be there between Mint KDE and Ubuntu + KDE, would I be missing something and things I can possibly add later.

Thanks

@JasonLG
THis is my foobar screenshotImage, I have configured the layout myself, this is one of the important features.
Plus as you can see I have a list of albums and titles in my library which i use to quickly queue up songs. All the players have a list of albums but none have a list of all song titles.
None of the lyrics plugins work, I think all of them have a database of english songs but no hindi (indian) songs. I use the lyric show plugin in foobar which works perfectly fine.
As of now, I prefer guyadeque and exaile, I really hate most of the QT players like Amarok and juk. I just want a simple interface to listen to music..just like foobar.

Since, there are so many applications in linux and its really hard to compare them I had started a spreadsheet listing the various features of different applications : http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... y=CMLrh8cD

alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:17 am

Probably comparing to Kubuntu would be much better than Ubuntu + KDE.

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Personally I think Mint is more polished. To be somewhat fair to Ubuntu, the Mint team is taking work done upstream and making it better -- so this is not a slam against Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) by any means. Mint (regardless of the desktop environment) provides a healthy balance between features on the cutting edge and the stability that many first and second derivative Debian systems can boast.

For rock solid stability, choose Debian. For cutting edge features, choose Sidux. For a very use-able in-between there is Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I will most likely always have a Debian partition set on my computers. I'm playing around with Sidux but they rightly say that when it breaks you get to keep both parts. While I haven't had any major problems with Ubuntu, I've found Kubuntu to be a little quirky since version 9 and I'm glad to see Isadore out in KDE RC form.

Not that I'm in a production environment with Linux, but so far I've never been let down by Debian or Linux Mint. I cannot say the same about Ubuntu but I have much more hours on Ubuntu than Mint and the times Ubuntu let me down were relatively few and mostly minor.

Finally, I certainly enjoy using KDE and currently prefer it over Gnome. But I do look forward to seeing and hearing more about Gnome 3. I can be swayed -- used Gnome 2 for years.
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 am

I know you've probably already checked them out but my picks for GTK media players are Banshee, Exaile and Decibel. As far as KDE players I can't really say as I use Gnome and IMO KDE apps aren't worth all the dependencies they pull in when installing on Gnome.

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:26 pm

JasonLG wrote:As far as KDE players I can't really say as I use Gnome and IMO KDE apps aren't worth all the dependencies they pull in when installing on Gnome.
I agree. For the same reason, I hesitate installing Gnome/GTK+ apps on KDE/Qt. Not that I don't do it, but I hesitate. :-) Esp., on my lower-end systems.

Amarok and Kaffeine are two KDE players at least worth a look at. I'm not an afficienado -- just a very casual user when it comes to running sound files/programs. Although I think it's a Gnome app (it uses GStreamer) you might also look at Songbird (getsongbird.com).

Although this may change in the near future, I've never used WINE, but if there is a Windows application that you really like, maybe that may be an option for running Win-Apps in Linux. I used to run Win-Apps in Win-OS/2 sessions back in the day and they weren't without their 'gotcha' moments, but they seemed to be fewer and farther between than in DOS 5/6-Win3.x so I stuck with it. I'm sure the folks that develop Wine have many of the kinks worked out. Just a thought.
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 am

vortexmak wrote: As of now, I prefer guyadeque and exaile, I really hate most of the QT players like Amarok and juk. I just want a simple interface to listen to music..just like foobar.
I'm running M8 KDE and like aTunes. Seems to run fine on KDE and says it's a cross between Amarok and iTunes (hence "aTunes"). I recommend give it a shot. The only thing it's really lacking is a song rating feature, although you can mark songs as favorite.
Chakra Linux

alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 am

Exaile is pretty close to foobar.

sylvainsjc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sylvainsjc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 am

Some differences between Mint Kde 9 and Kubuntu 10.04 :

- Mint Kde has Better look and feel (Grub has a better appearance, Mint Kde has a specific blue theme)
- Mint Kde has great Software Manager (compared to that ugly kpackagekit)
- Mint Kde offers you all the tools Mint (Mint Backup, Mint Upload tool, Firewall, etc)
- Mint Update manager with its specific icon in the tray
- All pre-installed codecs, flash

So you install Mint Kde and you play. With Kubuntu, you have more tuning to do

vortexmak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vortexmak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks sylvainsjc, close to the info I was looking for in my original post.

Guys, my current installation has gone down the drain. FF has become unusable and the rest of the GTK apps as well.
I have tried to remove the .GTK folders but to no avail. Isnt there some kind of a system restore option in Linux for those who mess up their systems and dont have an idea of how to fix it ?

Looks like ill try out Ubuntu after all while Im waiting for the mint KDE 9 final. im triple booting XP, Win 7 and mint KDE, will the ubuntu4win installer be able to detect them and preserver the bootloader config or do i have to follow other precautions ?

Thanks

Return to “KDE”