External Monitor Resolution (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jasmac

External Monitor Resolution (Solved)

Post by jasmac »

Hello, I have KDE 9 installed on my Toshiba Laptop, which has intergrated intel 915 graphics. I have a external 19 inch monitor connected to it. My problem is that every time I set the resolution of the external monitor to 1280x1024 and disable to laptop monitor, using KRandRTray, the external monitor will always go back to 1024x768 whenever I restart, it just isn't keeping the configuration. I tried adding nomodesetting to the boot options but that just made it harder to manage. I have also tried disconnecting the laptop monitor so it isn't recognised but that does not work either. I had a look at a solution that is on the ubuntu forums, here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1352375, but am not sure if it is ok to follow the procedures there to help. If anyone can shed some light or give some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sojin

Re: External Monitor Resolution

Post by sojin »

1) Connect your external monitor and check its supported resolution
$ xrandr -q

2) Give the following command (This will disable your laptop monitor)
$ xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output TV1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

3) If you want both laptop and external enabled:-
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode yyyyXzzzz --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output TV1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
(yyyyXzzzz - ur laptop resolution.)

The above configuration will clone ur screen. Play with "--right-of / --left-of" option if you want.

If you need this settings while login, add the checks in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings (You might need to create one)

xrandr |grep VGA1 | grep " connected "
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output TV1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal #Change the way u need
fi
jasmac

Re: External Monitor Resolution (Solved)

Post by jasmac »

Hey sojin, Thanks heaps, your a saviour, worked a treat.

Cheers

J
damirexus

Post by damirexus »

Hello there, I have the same problem and when I do this i get msg "xrandr: cannot find mode 1900x1200".

What can that be?

Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

can you start a new thread in the Hardware section,
& give as much details about your issue and the associated hardware
- rather than re-activating this old post.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”