My issues with Mint KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nomadewolf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint KDE Sucks

Post by nomadewolf »

inktitan wrote:I do not use KDE. I am very happy with XFCE and Gnome. But I do wish you would change the name of this post. I have read this in its entirety and was almost converted to KDE. But i had a hard time getting this OS where i wanted it and in the process fell in love. None-the-less please rename this post if at all possible.
What would you have me rename it to?

tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

cudayne wrote:I dont know I tride mint from ubuntu. loveded it wanted too try kde on mint but didn't have a dvd burnerer in my box nor a spare flashdrive.

Tride kbuntu...loved the kde but it was hugely buggy. In order for me too get skype too run for instance i had too go to the development of 10.10.

Then my video an network card got borked. I finally bought a stick put linix mint on it an it runs great.

Now I had too upgrade too the kde4.5 too get the video card too work right, but after I did that everything works great.

I am by far not a linux Guru. Linux mint does what I want pretty out of the box without haveint too play too much in the console.

Saying something sucks isn't geting you help too fix your problems.
I am not too smart on this but I would check your cd/source. I have installed mint kde on 2 differnt boxes today besides the one i use an didnt have any problems.

Let alone a huge list that you have.
I suggest that you use Firefox which has inbuilt spell checker

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

nomadewolf wrote:
inktitan wrote:I do not use KDE. I am very happy with XFCE and Gnome. But I do wish you would change the name of this post. I have read this in its entirety and was almost converted to KDE. But i had a hard time getting this OS where i wanted it and in the process fell in love. None-the-less please rename this post if at all possible.
perhaps "My issues with Mint KDE"
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

inktitan wrote:perhaps "My issues with Mint KDE"
+1
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

nomadewolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nomadewolf »

inktitan wrote:
nomadewolf wrote:
perhaps "My issues with Mint KDE"
I don't have any issues with it. IT has issues.
I will change the title nonetheless.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My issues with Mint KDE

Post by randomizer »

nomadewolf wrote:I don't have any issues with it. IT has issues.
Alright then rename the thread: "KDE's issues with me"

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

+1
Cute cat, by the way :)

inktitan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by inktitan »

nomadewolf wrote:

I don't have any issues with it. IT has issues.
I will change the title nonetheless.
Thank you. :D
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

Intugo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Intugo »

The reason I don't use KDE (anymore) is because it lets my graphics cards fan spin loud all the time...

nomadewolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nomadewolf »

randomizer wrote:
nomadewolf wrote:I don't have any issues with it. IT has issues.
Alright then rename the thread: "KDE's issues with me"
lol

That actually makes alot more sense.

Hunter067
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hunter067 »

I run Linux Mint KDE on a VM (Virtual Machine) with no headaches, flash videos play like a dream, no problems with the network adapter. Once I got the Guest Additions sorted out, and even before adding the GA's it was like I wasn't running it within the VM, just like it was installed on my computer with none of the said problems in your original post. I do have to agree that running Kubuntu was a tragedy, I did not like it one bit. Maybe something went wrong during the installation? I've burned perfect installation media for other OS's before and got a bad installation, but after trying again with the same media it worked flawlessly... Just a thought.
Why can't we just get along?

bullitt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bullitt »

nomadewolf wrote:
GhoS wrote:Yup there may be other issues at stake, because actually I've seen more people complain about Kubuntu than Mint KDE.
It has worked flawlessly from day one for me and while no environment is perfect, you learn to use it as it is. Its still better than Gnome in my opinion, but then again Linux is great because of its diversity.

Perhaps rather than complaining about things you could have posted questions as to why this or that isn't working right, perhaps you would have found something in your system that is causing the conflict. If it isn't your system, then perhaps you have discovered a bug that was unknown before. Producing a laundry list of problems is hardly productive.
I have 3 computers with distinct hardware.
In all 3 i face the same issues. At first, i thought it was due to the fact that i was using Mint KDE RC. But then the final version came out and even after a clean install all the problems persisted.

- Even if i tell the installer i want Mint to login automatically, it still won't.
- After some time, Firefox loses sound (in flash video, f.i: youtube) and i just have to restart it...
- Flash videos don't do well when in fullscreen.
- I my wireless goes down for a moment (which it does a lot cause it doesn't work well...) kopete won't log in until i reboot.
- If there's a bad system shutdown, i'll most likely loose all my data (happened twice already).

To these problems, add the ones in the first post and then do the math. Not to mention there are others i don't recall now.
In Mint Gnome i have none of these problems... Kubuntu also is much more stable, i'm sad to admit...
I have run into similar problems, however, with different software on LM 9 KDE. I am current using a dual boot with PCLinuxOS. It offers a very stable platform but lacks some polish in the area of the control center. PCLOS uses two different control centers, one for the the desktop, one for the computer. The point I'm trying to make is that there are plenty of distro's to try and LM may find perfection with the next update. We are all a work in progress and so is the OS we use.

Bullitt
Last edited by bullitt on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bullitt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bullitt »

tomp01 wrote:
cudayne wrote:I dont know I tride mint from ubuntu. loveded it wanted too try kde on mint but didn't have a dvd burnerer in my box nor a spare flashdrive.

Tride kbuntu...loved the kde but it was hugely buggy. In order for me too get skype too run for instance i had too go to the development of 10.10.

Then my video an network card got borked. I finally bought a stick put linix mint on it an it runs great.

Now I had too upgrade too the kde4.5 too get the video card too work right, but after I did that everything works great.

I am by far not a linux Guru. Linux mint does what I want pretty out of the box without haveint too play too much in the console.

Saying something sucks isn't geting you help too fix your problems.
I am not too smart on this but I would check your cd/source. I have installed mint kde on 2 differnt boxes today besides the one i use an didnt have any problems.

Let alone a huge list that you have.
I suggest that you use Firefox which has inbuilt spell checker
A point to consider when you see many misspelled words is whether English is the native language of the author? And yes, a spell checker would be helpful and in some ways instructive.
Last edited by bullitt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

You might want to look at the new Kubuntu 10.10 which is currently available in release candidate (and will be final released this coming Sunday)...i have been playing with the Live CD and it's running really smooth...also it is a lot more polished then previously versions (which i have checked out in the past) even their software installer which is the KDE K-Package Kit is tremendously improved and actually works quite nicely now...

I've been running on Mint 9 KDE and have not had any major problems, but even i was surprised when i checked out the new version of Kubuntu :wink:
looks like they finally gave it some "love" :lol:

zedzdead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zedzdead »

I'm beginning to believe KDE sucks as well. First off the sound simply refuses to work. I have my logitech headset plugged in and sound does not come out. Another example is when I finished my fresh install of mint KDE and it crashed right after I attempted to open the dolphin browser.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

zedzdead wrote:I'm beginning to believe KDE sucks as well. First off the sound simply refuses to work. I have my logitech headset plugged in and sound does not come out. Another example is when I finished my fresh install of mint KDE and it crashed right after I attempted to open the dolphin browser.
after trying and hating the stability of cinnamon Im begging to think its MINT that sucks? Its progressed visually no doubt but.. i dunno, it feels like its lost its simple stability from much earlier releases and no longer feels like the sensible choice next to other distros. Im tempted to bite the bullet and move to Arch or debian, perhaps even BSD. Is it MINT's fault ? I dont always think so, Linux seems screwed too easily due to the constant update bugs :?

one week your smooth sailing on the seas with your awesome operating system the next week a big scary dark update cloud overturns the boat.

I have never managed to get a KDE installation of mint to play well with Steam. Now I dont know why that is? but the frame rate is jerky and stuttery and if you put vsync on it has lag. I can only assume Weyland is going to royally screw everything up with Canoicial going Mir (even though it will be canoicals fault) the layers of graphicss and sub systems will create havok on mesa updates.

At this stage Linux is exellent for everything except one thing: Gaming / 3D. I cannot and will not ever understand the linux graphics sub system but I have had my fair share of fkups due to it as have millions of others (litterally!) Why is it so hard to write a simple solid subsystem 1 not 3 .. just 1 ?!? answers on a postcard please.

On the plus side KDE is as completley beautiful and the wealth of features is unparralled anywhere in the world ! You can pretty much turn your desktop experience into any asthetic you want. It is exellent 8) It does have bugs and crash but then again you do get an option to log them and the desktop remains usable more often than not where as lesser systems such as cinnamon, gnome, xfce will just crap out.

So my thoughts are KDE = Exellent. Graphics for most users stop after the desktop.

(btw i had to install 32bit flash in order for steam to stop crashing, it seems to be a requirement in doing so i noticed flash wasnt installed at all from the ISO ?)

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

zedzdead wrote:I'm beginning to believe KDE sucks as well. First off the sound simply refuses to work. I have my logitech headset plugged in and sound does not come out. Another example is when I finished my fresh install of mint KDE and it crashed right after I attempted to open the dolphin browser.
after trying and lovng the asthetic but hating the stability of cinnamon Im begging to think its MINT that sucks? Its progressed visually no doubt but.. i dunno, it feels like its lost its simple stability from much earlier releases and no longer feels like the sensible choice next to other distros. Im tempted to bite the bullet and move to Arch or debian, perhaps even BSD. Is it MINT's fault ? I dont always think so, Linux seems screwed too easily due to the constant update bugs :? For the first time ever i have inconsistent LAN performance? its incredibly infuriating.

one week your smooth sailing on the seas with your awesome operating system the next week a big scary dark update cloud overturns the boat.

I have never managed to get a KDE installation of mint to play well with Steam. Now I dont know why that is? but the frame rate is jerky and stuttery and if you put vsync on it has lag. I can only assume Weyland is going to royally screw everything up with Canoicial going Mir (even though it will be canoicals fault) the layers of graphicss and sub systems will create havok on updates finally ruining linux

(( i have heard PS4 and potencially steam box will be BSD? So the majority of windows switchers will probably move from ubuntu to Valves custom operating system, the only difference will be that given the comercial aspect ubuntu users will probably still work well with MIR as Im sure given nvidias MIR stack is currently in the new driver that valve will want the best consistent performance and also choose MIR))

At this stage Linux is exellent for everything except one thing: Gaming / 3D. I cannot and will not ever understand the linux graphics sub system but I have had my fair share of fkups due to it as have millions of others (litterally!) Why is it so hard to write a simple solid subsystem 1 not 3 .. just 1 ?!? answers on a postcard please.

On the plus side KDE is as completley beautiful and the wealth of features is unparralled anywhere in the world ! You can pretty much turn your desktop experience into any asthetic you want. It is exellent 8) It does have bugs and crash but then again you do get an option to log them and the desktop remains usable more often than not where as lesser systems such as cinnamon, gnome, xfce will just crap out.

So my thoughts are MINT 15 KDE = Exellent but for Graphics outside of the desktop = Poor

Return to “KDE”