No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Post by Boo »

Due to Gutsy Gibbon being released in 2 weeks we have decided to not release KDE Celena.

I am spending my time porting mint applications to KDE and looking into KDE4.

I hope to have more, if not all, mint applications for KDE Daryna.

We all want Daryna KDE to be fully minted so I hope you all don't mind the skipping of Celena KDE.

Cheers
Boo
:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Right decision man! 8)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Jinnai wrote:maybe by then KDE4 will be a viable option.
Not sure. KDE4 will probably not be stable enough, it will be necessary to await 4.1 or 4.2 undoubtedly. :roll:
I believe besides that many distribs will not include it immediately…
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
westertd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by westertd »

That is the right move!
dracorX

kde fully minted

Post by dracorX »

Sorry, I only have kde version, and don't know what the mint tools are exactly. Are they something like control panel style for the system, not only for kde?

That would be nice.

I think yast is now open source - one could take a look there how one can hook those tools into kcontrol, which would have the effect of everything being all together at one place?

Greetings
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Progress report.

so far i have converted mintDisk and mintAssistant to install and work with mint KDE.

akshunj

Post by akshunj »

LostOverThere wrote:dracorX look on the rest of the Linux Mint site. You'll see what they are. They're things like mintUpload, which allows you to right click on a file and upload it to the server instantly. :)

I'd actually go include KDE4 when it comes out.

Reasons:
  • 1) KDE goes through a stage called "BETA Testing" like most software [/sarcasm]. The bugs the dont pick up will generally be minor.
    2) KDE4 would be a GREAT way to increase Mints popularity. Think, Kubuntu wont have KDE4 until 8.10 and OpenSuSE 10.3 just came out so the next release wont be for awhile. People will want KDE4, or be curious to say the least. I suggest you work hard on getting it into the next release so people think "Hmm...I want KDE4, Hey, Linux Mint is including it, I'll give that a go".
I disagree there, Siskel. I give that idea two thumbs down. :)

Kidding aside, I'm not sure the bugs in KDE4's initial release will be so minor. KDE itself might be stable, but it has an UNPRECEDENTED number of hooks into the mainline OS. This is something really new to KDE, and I'm not sure they have a reputation for conservative, stable releases.

Also, releasing Mint with KDE will most certainly bring A LOT of exposure. Now consider what that exposure will look like if KDE4 is buggy? Exactly. I know how you feel, though...

--Akshun J
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Boo wrote:Progress report.

so far i have converted mintDisk and mintAssistant to install and work with mint KDE.

Boo, I think you've got a unique opportunity coming up here with Daryna. Kubuntu sucks. Seriously. And there are only a few KDE-based distros that are alive and kicking. Suse is becoming desktop agnostic (given it's Novell/Gnome roots, I think this will change), and that really just leaves PCLinuxOS and Mepis. Check out this article about Kubuntu and why it's a disappointment.

A tight release with Mint customizations would really set Mint apart from all of it's competitors. A bit of advice: Please don't be slavish to KDE apps. I don't mean to imply that you have done this, since you obviously included Firefox and Open Office in the previous release. But just keep in mind that sometimes the right tool for the job may be a GTK2 app. Or a QT app.

What can *we* as a supportive community do?

--Akshun J
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

with apps in mind the most helpful thing the community can do is suggest what apps to include into KDE mint. I am lazy when it comes to finding apps to use or better ones.

Suggest best of breed apps (and give a reason).

eg I think F-spot is the best photo tool, I love the folder structure it creates when importing photos/images.
F-spot is a GTK2 app and may get included into Daryna.

sometimes there may be double ups of similar applications due to dependencies or bundling of multiple apps into one deb. eg digikam and f-spot.

We all want Mint to be the best distro no matter what DE is used so please give some input. And remember mint KDE has a lot of space on the DVD that can be filled.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Boo wrote:F-spot is a GTK2 app and may get included into Daryna.
Please no. F-spot is based on Mono, I don't want Mono :twisted:
It exists other good photo tools... :roll:
Boo wrote:We all want Mint to be the best distro no matter what DE is used so please give some input.
Yes but sometimes it are not always good to mix both desktops. For example K3b in Gnome is almost as to make turn both desktops at the same time because it is very dependent on KDE. Not a good idea for everyone… :roll:
akshunj wrote:A bit of advice: Please don't be slavish to KDE apps.
hmm... In a KDE Desktop we must privilege KDE apps like in a Gnome Desktop we must privilege Gnome apps (e.g Exaile in place of Amarok)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I had a little play with mintUpdate today and it looks like it will work with only minor changes. (one word in one file).

more testing required though.

Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Thanks boo, good move :)

As far as Kubuntu sucking I simply have to disagree and anyone who takes that article as a reference should maybe read a bit more.
Besides Gutsy is still in beta and there are bound to be issues.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

NEW MENU

Post by frank392 »

Please we need to change the menu, is horrible. why not keep the original kde menu.

please no more tastymenu:
http://www.notmart.org/tastymenu/index.html
akshunj

Re: NEW MENU

Post by akshunj »

frank392 wrote:Please we need to change the menu, is horrible. why not keep the original kde menu.

please no more tastymenu:
http://www.notmart.org/tastymenu/index.html
Sorry, but the original KDE menu is a jumbled mess. Any customized solution would be an improvement.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

frank392 wrote:Please we need to change the menu, is horrible. why not keep the original kde menu.

please no more tastymenu
I agree with you frank392, I don't like the tastyMenu too... :wink:
I also agree for the original KDE menu, not kickoff......... :)
akshunj wrote:the original KDE menu is a jumbled mess.
hmm... that is only your opinion. No jumbled mess for me, just simplicity and effectiveness :lol:
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

linuxviolin wrote:I agree with you frank392, I don't like the tastyMenu too... :wink:
I also agree for the original KDE menu, not kickoff......... :)
akshunj wrote:the original KDE menu is a jumbled mess.
hmm... that is only your opinion. No jumbled mess for me, just simplicity and effectiveness :lol:
You're right. It's just my opinion. No more (or less) valid than anyone else's. Let's just remember that there are some core Mint philosophies here. I think one of them is a customized "start" menu. I could care less whether it is Tasty or Kickoff, or some other solution.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

akshunj wrote:No more (or less) valid than anyone else's
Yes of course :D
akshunj wrote:Let's just remember that there are some core Mint philosophies here. I think one of them is a customized "start" menu
Yes customized but not Tasty for me... I don't like very much Kickoff either. Maybe we should think at another thing, perhaps unique and specific to this distro. Moreover that could give it a specific and distinctive character of the others KDE distros :lol:
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Tasty is very tasty at least for my taste :D
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

@ Fintan

tasty is tasty if you have no taste :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry about that I'm just playing

how much experience do you have with linux?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Boo wrote: I think F-spot is the best photo tool, I love the folder structure it creates when importing photos/images.
F-spot is a GTK2 app and may get included into Daryna
Please no! No Mono applications... If you want a Gnome application rather then include Gthumb.

F-spot is LESS capable than Gthumb. The interface is easier to use but if you try to go deeper with Gthumb you'll clearly understand how f-spot is useless.
Gthumb is the only gnome app i know that can print multiple photos on the same page ! something Windows XP had built-in in 2001.
So, we can't replace gthumb with f-spot. (and you can tag with gthumb too). :)

Return to “Software & Applications”