Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by tomassen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:12 am

When will LM 10 KDE be avaliable? :?:

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 am

There is not and never has been a fixed release schedule for any version of Linux Mint. The versions are released when the development and testing team feel they are ready. You can get up to date information in status (once the newest version is submitted for testing) here

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Just register on the Mint Community Website and you can access this page whenever you wish.
Registered Linux User 483387

BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:57 pm

While I'm somewhat impatient to try Julia KDE I'm glad to have to wait for it. I've spent more than enough time dealing with issues that didn't get fixed in Ubuntu in time for the release date simply because they were locked into the calendar so tightly. One of the things I love about Mint KDE is that "it's ready when it's ready", no matter how long it takes to get it "ready."

@Aging Technogeek:
Thanks for reminding us that we have to be patient. The *Ubuntu gang try to get us impatient with all their ink about the new release. I'm actually enjoying the fact that I have to wait to use Mint 10 KDE because I know when it comes out it will be that much better than Kubuntu out of the box.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Based on the time frame of release of Mint 9 and Mint 9 KDE it may be another 2 months or more before Mint 10 KDE RC is released and then another month for the final version is released.

Hopefully it will be sooner but I'm willing to wait for a good stable release.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:36 pm

BostonPeng,

It is rather unusual to see a Boston resident wearing an LA dodgers ball cap.
Registered Linux User 483387

BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am

Heh. I know what you mean, AT. I've been a Dodger fan since my junior high days back in New Orleans and I still bleed Dodger Blue. Although I'm glad we finally lost Manny. I was tired of having to explain that I love the Dodgers despite him wearing their uniform.

The joys of living in Boston for 20+ years. There's an upside and a downside to everything here, and I hardly have to worry about hurricanes hitting here. Npow if only we could ditch the Nor'easters...
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin

kooldino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kooldino » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 am

I've got a new 128GB SSD patiently waiting for Mint 10 KDE. I've run Kubuntu on my main rig exclusively for 3 years, so I'm excited for the new change.

BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm

I know how you feel, kooldino. I was running Ubuntu/Gnome for a few years and got sick of some of the dev decisions being made and started looking around. I started looking at Kubuntu when someone suggested I try Mint if I like KDE. I looked at Mint/KDE a month or so later and never looked back. I'm looking forward to seeing Julia in KDE myself.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I got started again on the weekend.
I have had a lot of non-mint hold ups called life. :lol:
And well once the main final was released the mint apps are more stable, oh and KDE 4.5.3...

Oh yer and should stop asking people what they want in the disto as it takes ages to filter it all. :twisted:

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

BrOiler1985
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrOiler1985 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:58 am

Boo wrote:I got started again on the weekend.
And well once the main final was released the mint apps are more stable, oh and KDE 4.5.3...

Oh yer and should stop asking people what they want in the disto as it takes ages to filter it all. :twisted:

Cheers
Jamie
Cant wait for it! But I have one question: What's with KDE Updates in the future? I currently have achieved my update with enabling the Kubuntu backports and using apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade in the terminal. Will future KDE updates be available over the normal updater?

Thanks, boo!

Char
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Char » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 am

Looking forward to try out Mint 10 KDE. I have a very nice and powerful laptop, Sony VAIO F122FX/B. Couldn't get everything to work in Mint 9 KDE or Kubuntu. I don't like GNOME Desktops. I almost got everything working on Mint 9 KDE, except for my touchpad, mic and my NVIDIA video card with the non-proprietary drivers (I got this last one to work but my mic and touchpad didn't work). After updating my kernel to 2.6.36, i got the mic to work but i could'nt install the NVIDIA non-proprietary drivers because of a problem in the CC (C compiler). Hopefully, all my stuff will work on this new version. I really need to become a full time Mint user.

rbpyogesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbpyogesh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 am

Although...I am looking forward to LM10 KDE...I don;t think there is much to offer for the KDE Team...I know some people here are betting their hopes on this version but the fact that Kubuntu 10.10 has not undergone a major change...means there is a not a lot to expect from this version..

But the next release of LM both the Gnome and KDE are gonna be crucial...

But in the meanwhile may be a debian based KDE version should be on focus as well!!!

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 pm

rbpyogesh wrote:...but the fact that Kubuntu 10.10 has not undergone a major change...
confused what r u talkin' about?! :evil: I've tested Kubuntu 10.10 and have to say it's more stable and cool than a f...ed pain Kubuntu 10.04 :wink:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Elisa wrote:
rbpyogesh wrote:...but the fact that Kubuntu 10.10 has not undergone a major change...
confused what r u talkin' about?! :evil: I've tested Kubuntu 10.10 and have to say it's more stable and cool than a f...ed pain Kubuntu 10.04 :wink:
Yes...this is very true...I've been running Kubuntu 10.10 for about a month now and it's a VAST improvement over 10.04...much more polished..stable...and overall really excellent...Kubuntu uses KPackageKit for software downloads and system updates...and it use to really suck (most kubuntu users would install Package Manager and use that instead)..in 10.10 it's totally changed and works great now...as good as the ubuntu or mint software managers (nice descriptions of applications just no ratings)....

Would be nice to see a KDE Debian Mint though....assuming Boo (and Clem) can get it to render fonts as great as kubuntu/ubuntu and standard mint editions have because they are "ubuntu based"...

rbpyogesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbpyogesh » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 am

Sorry!!Actually I did not install that OS...All I did was use the Live CD...

I am more interested in installing the KDE Mint then Kubuntu...

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 am

That's ok :wink:
At least you did take a look and see how nice it was...i guess i got impatient...Mint KDE always comes out so much later then the official release of Kubuntu does (where as Mint Gnome only a month after but KDE version not until several months later)....

I might consider installing Mint 10 KDE when it arrives...but since i have so many things already set up on Kubuntu, might not be worth it in my particular case (since Kubuntu 10.10 is very smooth)....However, if he does a Mint Debian KDE, then i think i'd awfully tempted to switch over...especially if the mint team can achieve the high quality font rendering that the ubuntu/kubuntu based Mint editions have... :)

I'd love to have a rolling release, especially if it looks and works well :wink:

rbpyogesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbpyogesh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:50 am

Well...Mint 9KDE was really good and I still Don't feel like Upgrading...Kubuntu 10.10 do have a nice feature list+the much talked about stability...But Still I am not tempted to change to that...will wait and see what Mint 10 KDE is to offer...

Also..The Duration between each release is getting longer....I hope The KDE Mint is stopped and we focus on Mint Debian Based KDE...May be that will be a good solution...a Rolling distro which will suit the Mint KDE developers...

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Boo wrote:I got started again on the weekend.

Cheers
Jamie
Life? Life?!? What's that? No, wait ... something is coming to mind ... I seem to recall...hold on...[goes off to ask the wife]

Oh! Oh yeah--life. I remember now. The wife gave me a good slap upside the head when I asked her about it and it jogged the memory a bit--life! Well alright, that's a perfectly acceptable excuse. Carry on then... :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm

I will install LM KDE 10 in a new partition when released, the reason is that LM KDE9 is awesome and I'm enjoying it so much. I'm in the opinion that LM KDE should be moving to Debian base, what is your opinion Boo about it, will it make your life easier?

IMonarch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IMonarch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Anyone running OpenSUSE 11.3? Found it a bit better than the Kubuntu myself.

Return to “KDE”