Linux Mint 10 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by Beerislife »

kooldino wrote:Not sure how much longer I can wait...I may just end up going with kubuntu...again. :-/
That's what I did in the end. I've got it set-up the way I like it so can't see myself installing mint 10 KDE over it when it's finally released. Pity :cry:
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

I might do the same when I get back from my vacation just to try out KDE. I have never tried KDE before so I want to get used to it. But once LM KDE comes out I'll reinstall over =D.
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

Is Linux Mint KDE 9 that bad that you have to switch to Kubuntu? Just asking since I've never used it longer than an hour.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

canci wrote:...
I suppose there is a question about new kernel. Other stuff like KDE can be upgraded easily, right? :)
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

What exactly do you miss in the old kernel?
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

...wider hw support... :D :idea:
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

Haha, yeah, that much I could have discerned by myself. I mean, what hw specifically? (Just curious here).
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

:lol: :lol:
E.g. Matrox G550 :lol:
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

Yeah, touchscreens might be another nifty thing that works better in .35. Sad to see there is no backports kernel for Lucid... :(
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

canci wrote:Yeah, touchscreens might be another nifty thing that works better in .35. Sad to see there is no backports kernel for Lucid... :(
actually there is a backports kernel for Lucid https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa it is backported from natty
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

Yeah thanks. I found that one, but that might be a tid bit too experimental.
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

canci wrote:Is Linux Mint KDE 9 that bad that you have to switch to Kubuntu? Just asking since I've never used it longer than an hour.
I think people just want to test out the new KDE.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

red123 wrote:...
The new KDE can be upgraded even in the KDE-Mint-9 as I did mentioned above... :roll:
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

Elisa wrote:
The new KDE can be upgraded even in the KDE-Mint-9 as I did mentioned above... :roll:
I was under the impression that and upgrade from KDE 4.4 to 4.5 is not the same as a preinstalled KDE 4.5 in a release. The stability of the preinstalled would be a lot better than the upgrade unless I am mistaken about this belief.
sylvainsjc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sylvainsjc »

red123 wrote: I was under the impression that and upgrade from KDE 4.4 to 4.5 is not the same as a preinstalled KDE 4.5 in a release. The stability of the preinstalled would be a lot better than the upgrade unless I am mistaken about this belief.
No you are right - i've tried to update my stable Mint 9 Kde 4.4.5 to version 4.5 using kubuntu ppa and the result is my mint broken :roll:

At this time I'm using Kde 4.5.4 on Kubuntu Maverick
batistuta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by batistuta »

Elisa wrote:
Sure, you can do this. But in my opinion the nice thing about Boo's work is the Themeification. Mint 9 KDE looks very nice. And upgrading to 4.5 is like going to Ubuntu. And in my opinion, if oyu are gonna have Mint looking like Kubuntu, then go for Kubuntu.

I've personally went to Kubuntu for this release. On one hand 10.10 is very nice. Then, I'm didn't want to wait for Mint KDE 10 anymore, and third I wanna have KDE 4.6 when it comes out. So even if Boo released today it wouldn't make sense for me to have Mint installed for two weeks.

Why KDE 4.6? I think it is pretty much common agreegent that each KDE/Amarok release is better than the previous one.
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

Well, apart from that, 4.6 is finally ditching HAL, which isn't developed that often any more and, from what I've heard, was a mess technically speaking.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

In case anyone is interested, the reason KDE 10 is being held up is due to the loss of Mint's test server among other things:

"Significant infrastructure problems around Christmas: Our testing server in London was taken offline by the host and this created a lot of problems. Additional stress was put on various team members around Christmas (car accident, water/electricity shortages, financial problems, DSL upload speed maxed at 128kbps) which made it extremely hard for many of us, including myself and Ikey, to be available and to work efficiently.

According to the latest blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1614 , they will be getting a new test server this month. Clem and company have had a rather large set of serious setbacks since the release of LM 10 (Main) so I'm wishing them all the luck in recovering from these setbacks and getting back on track. It's kind of ironic that Linux Mint has just recently hit the number 2 spot at Distrowatch for the last 6 months (as seen in the right sidebar of the main page).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
canci
Level 2
Level 2

Post by canci »

kmb42vt wrote:Clem and company have had a rather large set of serious setbacks since the release of LM 10 (Main)...
Which makes me wonder how they could have assembled and maintained the distro so well. 10 is a really good release so far. Of course, the Ubuntu base has also gotten a lot better ever since 10.04 IMHO, but Mint is doing pretty well and, from a desktop centric standpoint at least, is the only innovator apart from Ubuntu, KDE and the Gnome team's Gnome 3 efforts (well, there's also elementary, but they're far from having a stable release). It seems that having a lot of funding and manpower doesn't necessarily lead to innovation and polish (looking at openSUSE, Fedora and Mandriva here).
TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacBeaver »

kmb42vt wrote:In case anyone is interested, the reason KDE 10 is being held up is due to the loss of Mint's test server among other things:

"Significant infrastructure problems around Christmas: Our testing server in London was taken offline by the host and this created a lot of problems. Additional stress was put on various team members around Christmas (car accident, water/electricity shortages, financial problems, DSL upload speed maxed at 128kbps) which made it extremely hard for many of us, including myself and Ikey, to be available and to work efficiently.

According to the latest blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1614 , they will be getting a new test server this month. Clem and company have had a rather large set of serious setbacks since the release of LM 10 (Main) so I'm wishing them all the luck in recovering from these setbacks and getting back on track. It's kind of ironic that Linux Mint has just recently hit the number 2 spot at Distrowatch for the last 6 months (as seen in the right sidebar of the main page).
Hey kmb42vt, thx for this information. This helps us understand what is going on.

Return to “KDE”