Linux Mint 10 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by Chuckie »

Will Mint 10.10 KDE have the same problem as Kubuntu 10.10?

I installed Kubuntu 10.10 and worked and loaded ok until i installed my video card driver.

My video card is Gigabyte HD 6850.

After installing the driver i rebooted and it gets to a certain stage and the screen goes black and it just hangs there until i press the reset button on my pc.

I have seen supposed to be fixes for this problem, but hey it either works or it don't, i am not going to go though a lot of do this and do that, if the distro is trouble sum then i stay away from it.

But like i said if Mint KDE 10.10 runs without that problem than i will install it.
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

It might or it might not work. Try the latest drivers on the nvidia website.
caprus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caprus »

Chuckie wrote:Will Mint 10.10 KDE have the same problem as Kubuntu 10.10?...
I don't know about anyone else, but I've better things to do with my time than to speculate on solutions to problems that may or may not even exist in distributions that haven't even been released yet.

Personally I've been anxiously awaiting the upcoming release Link Mint 10 KDE for some time now. When it is ready for release I'll be thrilled, and should problems arise I'll worry about them at that time. On the other hand, if no major problems occur I won't be too surprised :wink: .
MS user 1989-2008
Linux user 2004-present
Java_Az
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Java_Az »

Chuckie wrote:Will Mint 10.10 KDE have the same problem as Kubuntu 10.10?

I installed Kubuntu 10.10 and worked and loaded ok until i installed my video card driver.

My video card is Gigabyte HD 6850.

After installing the driver i rebooted and it gets to a certain stage and the screen goes black and it just hangs there until i press the reset button on my pc.

I have seen supposed to be fixes for this problem, but hey it either works or it don't, i am not going to go though a lot of do this and do that, if the distro is trouble sum then i stay away from it.

But like i said if Mint KDE 10.10 runs without that problem than i will install it.
What Driver did you install? you will more then likely get the same problem unless the drivers get updated.. You card is pretty new so you might want to try the latest from ATI here is a how to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

One things for sure, Nvidia drivers wont help out a ATI video card. I think red confused your card with the older geforce 6000 series. Now that ATI has a 6000 series it can be confusing.
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie »

I thought that Kubuntu has the latest drivers for such card.

I will not install Kubuntu again or Ubuntu as both have given that same problem i will wait patiently for Mint and see what happens, i would rather spend time fixing the problem with Mint than any other distro, Mint has been my distro of choice ever since i found out about it.

I know it's the driver, but i would have thought that being a new distro this problem would not have happened, what i am trying to say is that a new distro would have the latest driver implemented.

At the moment i am running Win 7 i would like to run both.

I prefer Mint for browsing and emailing and such.

Thanks to all for all the feed back, lets hope that Boo sorts out soon whatever problems he is having, so we can all enjoy the best distro out there.

And no i am not complainig far from it i appreciate Linux very much especially being a pensioner and unable to buy software at will.
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

Chuckie wrote:I thought that Kubuntu has the latest drivers for such card.

I will not install Kubuntu again or Ubuntu as both have given that same problem i will wait patiently for Mint and see what happens, i would rather spend time fixing the problem with Mint than any other distro, Mint has been my distro of choice ever since i found out about it.

I know it's the driver, but i would have thought that being a new distro this problem would not have happened, what i am trying to say is that a new distro would have the latest driver implemented.

At the moment i am running Win 7 i would like to run both.

I prefer Mint for browsing and emailing and such.

Thanks to all for all the feed back, lets hope that Boo sorts out soon whatever problems he is having, so we can all enjoy the best distro out there.

And no i am not complainig far from it i appreciate Linux very much especially being a pensioner and unable to buy software at will.
That is not entirely true. Ubuntu uses more recent proprietary drivers than Debian, but they are still behind by a couple of months.
Java_Az
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Java_Az »

If your just going to browse and do email there is no need for the ATI drivers. I run off the stock drivers that install with Mint. With the ATI drivers installed on this HD 4890 i get weird lines in my HD videos while watching. Stock drivers everything is beautiful while playing videos. Really i don't need them since i don't have time for gaming right now. But really you should be able to get by without them for browsing and mail.
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie »

Java_Az wrote:If your just going to browse and do email there is no need for the ATI drivers. I run off the stock drivers that install with Mint. With the ATI drivers installed on this HD 4890 i get weird lines in my HD videos while watching. Stock drivers everything is beautiful while playing videos. Really i don't need them since i don't have time for gaming right now. But really you should be able to get by without them for browsing and mail.

Yeah that makes sense as i don't intend to play games on Linux anyway.

But i am still going to wait for the latest Mint KDE i am sure that it will be great just like past Mint KDE.

Thanks everyone.
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

the mint 10 kde i386 is currently being tested at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

Thank you clem! And thanks cpatrick for posting the good news.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie »

cpatrick08 wrote:the mint 10 kde i386 is currently being tested at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Good news Thank you.
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

Chuckie wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote:the mint 10 kde i386 is currently being tested at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Good news Thank you.
your welcome
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

Chuckie wrote:

Good news Thank you.

GOOD NEWS is also that the community iso web site is back in the information loop at all ...
it was left out in the last months (including for the LMDE release which did not appear at all on that page).
So now, we'll be up-to-date again. Very good.
TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacBeaver »

Great and exciting news indeed ! Thanks for flagging this here cpatrick08 !
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

the first iso has been rejected
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

cpatrick08 wrote:the first iso has been rejected
Yup, as expected, not unusual for the first submitted build of any edition to be rejected. Even having the next submitted build rejected is not that unusual either. Too bad they lost their testing server so early on. Ah well, better late than never.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
TacBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacBeaver »

cpatrick08 wrote:the first iso has been rejected
Sure, don't worry about that. That's just a sign that the test team take their job very seriously. The good news is that the testing has started now and that from now on you can follow the further evolution on the iso testing page.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

manny wrote:I will install LM KDE 10 in a new partition when released, the reason is that LM KDE9 is awesome and I'm enjoying it so much. I'm in the opinion that LM KDE should be moving to Debian base, what is your opinion Boo about it, will it make your life easier?
I think it should be moved to LMDE base also....but, who am I to say :roll:
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
tomassen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomassen »

Give us Mint KDE RC, please.
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

tomassen wrote:Give us Mint KDE RC, please.
First it has to pass testing. If you haven't already checked the first build was rejected which means changes have to be made to bring it into a stable RC. Once a stable RC is accepted then and only then will it be released..

Return to “KDE”