Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by colyn »

ibm450 wrote:
exploder wrote:I have been running the release candidate for a few days now. A few minor fixes and some tinkering with the nvidea drivers and it runs like a dream. :D I am enjoying KDE 4.6.0, it was worth the wait in my opinion.
so where can we download the RC from?
Once the ISO is uploaded to the mirrors it will be available. Watch here http://linuxmint.com/ for the announcement..

exploder had access to it since he is one of the testers..
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

@colyn
thanks for the obvious link. :shock:

@exploder,
any chance of posting afew screen shots of lm10 kde please and also, what sort of tinkering are you talking about, is it opengl issues or have you used the xrender option to fix compiz effects as i understand that there is still alot of nvidia driver problems???

cheers
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
avasili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avasili »

Hey guys, please, a bit more patience! :) I second exploder that this release will be awesome.
I'm using the amd64 version for some days now and it's very stable and beautiful. kde 4.6 is awesome.
So please leave you differences out of here and wait patiently for the release. You will not be disappointed, promised! :wink:
vu2ikl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vu2ikl »

Hello friends..This is my first post..
I am a kubuntu user (its been 1 year) and i tried linux mint for a month. really liked that it supports all file formats out of the box.
but i like kde better. so waiting for LMKDE :)

1. I know that LM does not have a specific release cycle..it is ready when it is ready.. and i appreciate that.
but still i am curios.. how many days does it take for LMKDE to come from RC mode to the final release.. generally i am asking.
cause i am bit reluctant to try out RC version.

2. Is LMKDE 64bit is as stable as 32bit? cause i always feel that flash support is better in 32bit.

3. Can LMKDE boot from LiveUSB? (LMKDE 9 could not..so asking)

Cheers,
Kapil
asus A52N, amd vision, 802.11
Triboot: Ubuntu natty, Kubuntu 10.10, LM 10
avasili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avasili »

vu2ikl wrote:Hello friends..This is my first post..
I am a kubuntu user (its been 1 year) and i tried linux mint for a month. really liked that it supports all file formats out of the box.

1. I know that LM does not have a specific release cycle..it is ready when it is ready.. and i appreciate that.
but still i am curios.. how many days does it take for LMKDE to come from RC mode to the final release.. generally i am asking.

2. Is LMKDE 64bit is as stable as 32bit? cause i always feel that flash support is better in 32bit.

Cheers,
Kapil
Hi vu2ikl

Trying to answer your questions:

1. Generally it will not take too many days. It will take what is necessary to be sure that all the possible bugs are found and fixed.
2. Yes, Mint Kde 64bit is as stable as 32bit. At my opinion 64bit works better, this is not official, only at my opinion.
3. If I understood the question, yes, you can you can make a liveusb from the iso of mindkde and install the system from that usb to you computer. :)
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

avasili wrote:
vu2ikl wrote:Hello friends..This is my first post..

Cheers,
Kapil
Hi vu2ikl

Trying to answer your questions:

1. Generally it will not take too many days. It will take what is necessary to be sure that all the possible bugs are found and fixed.
2. Yes, Mint Kde 64bit is as stable as 32bit. At my opinion 64bit works better, this is not official, only at my opinion.
3. If I understood the question, yes, you can you can make a liveusb from the iso of mindkde and install the system from that usb to you computer. :)
if you download the rc and update update levels 1-3 it will become final so you wont have to download the final iso
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

if you download the rc and update update levels 1-3 it will become final so you wont have to download the final iso
[/quote]

WHERE !!!! what is the RC link..............
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

@exploder,
any chance of posting afew screen shots of lm10 kde please and also, what sort of tinkering are you talking about, is it opengl issues or have you used the xrender option to fix compiz effects as i understand that there is still alot of nvidia driver problems???
I got around using xrender by installing the nvidea 270 drivers from the xswat ppa, doing this made opengl screen savers work properly and full screen flash works. I set desktop effects animation speed to fast and the system runs nice and smooth. :D I also set the system to start with an empty session and turned off the nepomuk service, (nepomuk is turned off by default anyway), this seems to cure the plasma desktop crashes that occur occasionally. KDE 4.6.0 is brand new and these minor adjustments fixed it right up for me. :D I do not have any screen shots up yet but it looks a lot like the main edition only KDE, it looks really nice!
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

ibm450 wrote:WHERE !!!! what is the RC link..............
I don't see it on the heanet server yet. It's usually the first to publish the Mint .iso files. Give it another day or so. ;)
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

I'm enjoying KDE 4.6 on Mint 9. I couldn't stand it any longer and wanted to see what it looks like. Some minor changes and tweaks and it's nice!
Strange, kaffeine, my favorite video player doesn't work for crap, but dragon player, which I never cared for much now works beautifully.
I knew I'd be getting Mint 10 very soon and had nothing to lose if I screwed it up but everything went surprisingly smooth. So if it runs this well
on Mint 9 with my ignorant ass installing it, I know it's gonna be great on Mint 10 with an ace like Boo doing it. 8)
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

BubbaBlues wrote:I'm enjoying KDE 4.6 on Mint 9. I couldn't stand it any longer and wanted to see what it looks like. Some minor changes and tweaks and it's nice!
Strange, kaffeine, my favorite video player doesn't work for crap, but dragon player, which I never cared for much now works beautifully.
I knew I'd be getting Mint 10 very soon and had nothing to lose if I screwed it up but everything went surprisingly smooth. So if it runs this well
on Mint 9 with my ignorant ass installing it, I know it's gonna be great on Mint 10 with an ace like Boo doing it. 8)
@bubbaBlues
thankyou, just what i wanted to hear. what was the process in installing kde 4.6? (hoping it was easy and not a million cli commands from binary install) was it a large DL as im on wireless broadband in remote area and dont want to use up DL quota till i get home.

im currently using kernel 2.6.38rc3 on lm9kde along with jupiter (set on high performance) and with the kernel patch (200 line patch) and everything is running smooth and quick.
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

ibm450 wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:I'm enjoying KDE 4.6 on Mint 9. I couldn't stand it any longer and wanted to see what it looks like. Some minor changes and tweaks and it's nice!
@bubbaBlues
thankyou, just what i wanted to hear. what was the process in installing kde 4.6? (hoping it was easy and not a million cli commands from binary install) was it a large DL as im on wireless broadband in remote area and dont want to use up DL quota till i get home.

im currently using kernel 2.6.38rc3 on lm9kde along with jupiter (set on high performance) and with the kernel patch (200 line patch) and everything is running smooth and quick.
I added ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to my repo list and then installed the meta package "kde-full". It was somewhere around to 200 mb I think and took a little over an hour.
I had already backed up my files just in case, as you should. However I didn't have any problems.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

I added ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to my repo list and then installed the meta package "kde-full". It was somewhere around to 200 mb I think and took a little over an hour.
I had already backed up my files just in case, as you should. However I didn't have any problems.
thankyou, will try it out when i fly back home this coming wed (really want to try 4.6 soon as its taking too long for lm rc)
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

Looks like Mint KDE is heading towards another round of testing. Maybe an official release if things goes well =)
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

red123 wrote:Looks like Mint KDE is heading towards another round of testing. Maybe an official release if things goes well =)
i386 KDE has been approved for RC release. AMD 64 is still up in the air..no word yet on whether it will also be released or rejected.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Most of the fixes for the release candidate are on the community site where we tested, so it's a pretty safe bet that you could fix any issues you might run into. The only real issue I ran into was my nvidea graphics drivers and even this was pretty easily fixed after a little reading and experimenting with the various solutions out there. I have been running the 32 bit RC for some days now as my day to day system and am very impressed with it.

Edit: I like some of the choices that were made for this release too. I have grown to really like Lancelot, waiting for KDE 4.6.0 was also a great decision. This release was worth waiting the extra amount of time in my opinion. :D
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

But YOU"RE not waiting anymore. :D
Mark Twain
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ahhh, I am guessing the RC has not been uploaded to the public servers yet. My apologies.
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

exploder wrote: The only real issue I ran into was my nvidea graphics drivers and even this was pretty easily fixed after a little reading and experimenting with the various solutions out there.
The resolution of using the XSWAT PPA may be good for the 1% of users, but for 99.9999999999999999999% of nVidia users, this is going to be an issue, and in the "minty philosophy" I think that any action that will install nVidia drivers should use these drivers since using the OEM ones will cause problems.

This should be set so that "Hardware Drivers" pulls these v. the OEM nVidia drivers in the stable release.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:
Ahhh, I am guessing the RC has not been uploaded to the public servers yet. My apologies.
Heh, Nope, they haven't. Personally I'm waiting for word on the 64 bit version as to whether it's going to be approved for an RC release or rejected and tested once again. It's been at 100% tested for 3 days now. Not complaining at all, just mentioning. :wink:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “KDE”