Linux Mint 10 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by exploder »

The resolution of using the XSWAT PPA may be good for the 1% of users, but for 99.9999999999999999999% of nVidia users, this is going to be an issue, and in the "minty philosophy" I think that any action that will install nVidia drivers should use these drivers since using the OEM ones will cause problems.
The supplied drivers very well might work for most but in the event they do not there needed to be a work around. Using XRender is definitely not an ideal solution because full screen flash will not work and neither will OpenGL screen savers. More that likely anything using OpenGL is not going to work using XRender, including games. I read through a lot of posts about KDE 4.6.0 and graphics problems and solutions before deciding to use the newer drivers on the xswat ppa repos.

I tried every solution I could find before using the xswat ppa and certainly suggest that others do the same first but there are going to be people with graphics issues that need to be addressed. Mint always ships with the supported drivers for the given release but repos like the xswat ppa are there for good reason and are considered reasonably safe. xorg-edgers on the other hand use cutting edge drivers that you use at your own risk. In the end all I tried to do is provide some degree of help for someone having un-resolvable issues.

Edit: I asked when the RC might hit the public mirrors, might be waiting on testing to be completed on the x64 version.
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Well just exactly what does 100% tested mean these days? How much more complete can you get? :?
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
Java_Az
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Java_Az »

BubbaBlues wrote:Well just exactly what does 100% tested mean these days?
Means what it always has. It has been fully tested, All test have been ran on it , Completely tested and so on.

If your wondering about the AMD 64 i believe it will be rejected due to 3 failed tests.
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

Running a test and passing a test are two different things.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Well just exactly what does 100% tested mean these days? How much more complete can you get? :?
Nothing goes to the public mirrors until Clem himself deems it ready. The Lead Developer has the final say on every release, as it should be. 100% tested in the case of the x64 edition at the moment only means that the iso is ready for Clem to check out and decide if it is ready. The community site provides the means for everyone to see the current state of development for any given release.
If your wondering about the AMD 64 i believe it will be rejected due to 3 failed tests.
Not necessarily. One test has conflicting results and the other two issues were present in the 32 bit version and it was approved.
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Jix wrote:Running a test and passing a test are two different things.
You're right. I wasn't thinking. :oops:
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

exploder wrote:The supplied drivers very well might work for most but in the event they do not there needed to be a work around. Using XRender is definitely not an ideal solution because full screen flash will not work and neither will OpenGL screen savers. More that likely anything using OpenGL is not going to work using XRender, including games. I read through a lot of posts about KDE 4.6.0 and graphics problems and solutions before deciding to use the newer drivers on the xswat ppa repos.

I tried every solution I could find before using the xswat ppa and certainly suggest that others do the same first but there are going to be people with graphics issues that need to be addressed. Mint always ships with the supported drivers for the given release but repos like the xswat ppa are there for good reason and are considered reasonably safe. xorg-edgers on the other hand use cutting edge drivers that you use at your own risk. In the end all I tried to do is provide some degree of help for someone having un-resolvable issues.
I think we're mis understanding each other.... "What we have here is a failure to communicate.... " :D

You and a few at the top end know that if they run into an issue with some thing what to do.... BUT 99.999999999999999999999999%

Of the users who are here and likely to come here are going to download the ISO, burn a DVD, install it, and then DL the nVidia OEM drivers install it and then BOOM! Breakage... they will be left with a system which boots to the CLI and thats it, black screen, or somethig else... and these users will not have any way to fix them.

If the XSWAT PPA Drivers fix things like full screen flash (which for the user base thats aimed at its A BIG DEAL) etc. then I think KMint should by DEFAULT install these. That means any script, software or anything that the KMint team controls should point to the XSWAT PPA, period, full stop.

If installing the OEM nVidia drivers will break screensavers, flash, wobly, spinny, thingys the screeching and complaining in here will be deafening. You found the solution, lets implement it, cut this off at the pass, be done with it. This makes KMint the best experience for all. new to power users.

Leaving users to figure out they have an issue with the OEM drivers when a solution is known and can be implemented is just not very "minty" in my opinion.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

rec9140, the thing with drivers is that some will be alright with the current drivers and some will see the issues that I had. I wish it was a one fix fixes all type of situations but it never seems to work that way. The stock system got me into a reasonably working desktop where I could fine tune things for my hardware issues. There are so many variables where hardware is concerned.

By the way, I like the "Cool Hand Luke" reference! I love that movie. :D
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

Exploder is right. Due to many factors such as impurities, it is very difficult to create two hardware of the same model perform exactly the same. This is why on every release of new drivers, you will see some people complain about it not working well and some people say it is the best driver that they have ever used. However there drivers known to be bad as well.
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Now I'm beginning to wonder if KDE 4.6 is such a great idea. It works fine on my Mint 9 with an nvidia geforce 8600, so I'm sure I'll be fine, but it sounds like a lot of
folks might have some issues......but then a lot of folks have issues with any release.
Mark Twain
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

BubbaBlues wrote:Now I'm beginning to wonder if KDE 4.6 is such a great idea. It works fine on my Mint 9 with an nvidia geforce 8600, so I'm sure I'll be fine, but it sounds like a lot of
folks might have some issues......but then a lot of folks have issues with any release.
Very true. A lot of folks have issues with any OS release and not just Linux Mint. Same way with any OS that doesn't come with matching customized, "tailor made to the OS" hardware (and we all know who were talking about, yes? :mrgreen: ) and that includes Windows. The fact that most people buy PCs with Windows pre-installed is irrelevant. Those who choose to do a clean install of Windows into any PC without any driver disks whatsoever are going to face many more problems (lack of drivers, codecs, Flash, Java, etc) than someone who does a clean install of any flavor of Linux Mint for example. KDE (or Gnome, LXDE, XFC, E17, etc) is only as good as as the OS behind it and how well it is tweaked by the developers and the user.

Hmmph! How I do go on. :P
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

RC date please....kubuntu 11.04 be out before lm10 kde....just saying whats on peoples mind
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
tomassen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomassen »

Both editions were aproved for RC release :twisted:
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

ibm450 wrote:RC date please....kubuntu 11.04 be out before lm10 kde....just saying whats on peoples mind

From the blog.
Mint 10 KDE approved for RC release
Written by Clem on February 7th, 2011

Both 32-bit and 64-bit ISO images were approved. The Linux Mint 10 KDE Edition, featuring KDE 4.6, will be publicly available this week as an RC release.
In case you haven't been informed Mint does not have a scheduled release date like Ubuntu. It is released when deemed stable and only then.

This is just another reason I prefer Mint..
hardaur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hardaur »

Here we go!

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

Thanks guys, can't wait to play.

(And to the rest of you, sorry. I knew that as soon as I reinstalled LM10(gnome) that they'd push it, but I kept waiting. So I reinstalled about 30 minutes ago. Didn't mean to keep you all waiting : b)
Last edited by hardaur on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mephi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mephi »

hardaur wrote:Here we go!

Thats what i wanted to post. :)

I tryed Linux Mint Gnome the last days for the first time and really loved it. I prefer KDE so i am happy trying Linux Mint KDE.
Not sure about that: Will there be updates to KDE 4.61, 4.62, ... and so on ...? (Not to 4.7, i know that)
roshanpius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roshanpius »

hardaur wrote:Here we go!

Downloading Now.... Cant wait to try it out...
Currently using Kubuntu 9.10(with KDE 4.4 beta), Mint Helena(Gnome), OpenSuse11.2(with KDE 4.3.4)
c0nsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by c0nsaw »

**Insert heavenly music..alleluia alleluia**

nice one, was cracking up waiting for this release ...
Im sure it'll have been worth the wait

thanks a lot
panda8898
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panda8898 »

hi all..

im using lmde with kde 4.5.3...tried to search source to upgrade my kde..but havent found it till now..

is there any repo on mint 10 kde that i can add to my repo so i can upgrade my kde to 4.6 ?
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

Here running Mint 10 KDE from live DVD and it's been flawless so far.

Just creating a bootable USB so I can play some more before installing (need to backup my system tonight).

Great job by everyone in the Mint team.....
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

Return to “KDE”