Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sahilshinesalways

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by sahilshinesalways »

well if u really wana taste kde on julia right now,u can do is

install kubuntu desktop via synaptic,it will install a kde enviroment side by side.
and voila u can also get rid of gdm wich has un-theme-ablility issue rite now.

the pakage size is may b around 180 mb or so.

i installed it but ya found some issues(dont know for my own mistake or what)after i log out from gnome then log in to kde,the compositing is off,50 %of my upper desktop is zagg zgged blurred horizontally.if i log in directly with out log in gnome itsalmost fine but its still slow.i was about to post this issue on the forum
Mintyarrow

Post by Mintyarrow »

I ran Suse 11.3 a few months ago on my 2003 Gateway E-series with 2.4 P4 no Hyperthreading and all intel motherboard including video chip, pimped up with 1 gig of memory. Suse is solid but too slow on my system, also don't like the slow way that Yast installs packages: download and install each program one by one. The newer Karnmic Kubuntu works but freezes up on me. Lucid and Maverick do not work at all, they have a conflict with my video chip and boot me out to a terminal. Mint 9 KDE works perfectly and runs light and fast on my computer. I typically run between 8 and 12 percent of Cpu and between 2 and 300 megs of Ram on the desktop when nothing is open. I can run full screen flash with no problems using between 85 and 90 percent of Cpu and and about 380 megs of ram. By contrast Suse can't run fullscreen flash and is jittery on this machine and sometimes would freeze and I would have to shut down and reboot to keep running. If I had the good hardware then Suse would probably run better but overall I think it runs heavier than Mint or Kubuntu. If Mint KDEruns fast and good and good on my old hardware then it should run like a rocket for those of you with newer computers>Mint KDE my fave, no fighting with it at all.... it simply works excellently!
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

Hey Boo,

I can imagine that you are very busy working on a new great LM10 KDE release. But may we ask you to keep us informed on this forum on your plans and on the status of LM10 KDE. We don't want to put any pressure or squeeze any timing out of you ;-) but a short update on what is happening would help us to be patient.
I think that the people reading this forum are all patiently (some more patient than others) waiting for a new great LM KDE version and probably would love a status update every once in a while. Of course if there is another place where we can get that kind of information, that's fine too.
Again, I don't want to raise the pressure, just begging for some information.
(I have temporarily installed LM10 Gnome to try it out, but prefer the KDE version. So I'm wondering if I should go back to LM9 KDE or wait a while for v10)

Hoping that you understand this request for an update ...
batistuta

Post by batistuta »

I'm kind of in the same boat as TacBeaver. We are here because we like choices, but I don't know what to choose here. My options are either going to Kubuntu 10.10 or waiting for Boo to release (no pressure or demands intended please).

My biggest concern with the long delay is the new KDE. When KDE Isadora came out, KDE 4.5 was already out. I wanted the new KDE and Amarok so I updated via Ubuntu's PPA, just to find out that it would wipe the nice artwork set by Boo. The new KDE was better, but not as nice as Boo's work. I had to choose between nice artwork, or latest KDE. Now the same issue will happen with KDE 4.6 in January.

So from my view, when Boo releases I'll have to choose between: new Linux mint Julia with KDE 4.5, Ubuntu 10 with KDE 4.6, or Mint with KDE 4.6 looking like Ubuntu. From my perspective, the last one doesn't make much sense. And I can't decide between the first two.

One workaround that kind of solves everything would be a full mint KDE theme that could be applied to KDE 4.6 both Mint and Ubuntu. Some sort of deb package that would install and configure everything for you. That would be awesome.

I'm very ignorant regarding KDE internals, but from a user perspective this is what I'd love to see.

I'm also just curious, not pressure intended: why doesn't Boo work with other people? That would greatly improve the release cycle. Is it because no one wants to help, or does Boo like to work alone? The first one would be kind of sad, the second one would leave me scratching my head.
red123

Post by red123 »

Now that Mint KDE is going to use a better start menu, I can try using it now =). The default start menu for KDE was the only thing stopping me from using it.
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

red123 wrote:Now that Mint KDE is going to use a better start menu, I can try using it now =). The default start menu for KDE was the only thing stopping me from using it.
Indeed, allthough I always liked most features of KDE a lot more than Gnome, I prefered the Menu in the Gnome version of Mint above the one used in the KDE version. I'm looking forward to use this new menu that Boo mentioned. LM10 KDE looks very promising. No wonder people get impatient :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

the menu he was talking about i believe is the lancelot menu which is a kde menu (not designed by the mint team) that should be available in your package manager or software manager on Mint 9 KDE if you are presently running it (I was running Mint 9 KDE but am currently running Kubuntu 10.10 and it's available on their software manager)...So, you should be able to play with it even now if you wish...

it is a very nice menu..it is kind of a cross between the kde kicker (about same size in fact) and the mint type of menu...very elegant looking :wink:
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

craig10x wrote:the menu he was talking about i believe is the lancelot menu which is a kde menu (not designed by the mint team) that should be available in your package manager or software manager on Mint 9 KDE if you are presently running it (I was running Mint 9 KDE but am currently running Kubuntu 10.10 and it's available on their software manager)...So, you should be able to play with it even now if you wish...

it is a very nice menu..it is kind of a cross between the kde kicker (about same size in fact) and the mint type of menu...very elegant looking :wink:
Thx Craig10x,

Sounds good, but I don't have any experience in changing that kind of stuff. I mean changing a menu seems something else than adding new application SW. What happens to the existing menu if you install this lancelot menu. Do I have to remove the old one first ? How can I do this. As I said, this is unexplored terrain for me.
That's why I usually wait "patiently" ;-) to see what Boo and other guys with similar skills get out of their magic hat.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's actually a "widget" TacBeaver...if it's not already in your widget menu that you bring up from the bottom panel of your kde, then it should be available for install through the software center or package manager...it's a standard available kde menu available in most kde distros...

Once installed it should appear in your widget menu list, and once you click on it, it would be added to your panel on the bottom...you could then move it over to the left side, play with it, and if you prefer it over the regular kicker you could always delete the kicker and use that instead...very easy, actually :wink:

And if you still prefer the regular kicker, you could simply remove it from your bottom kde panel....just make sure you unlock your "widgets" so that you will be able to move things around on the bottom panel...You could leave both on the panel and move your preference to the far left....

I added it and played with when i was running a live cd of PcLinuxOs (KDE version) which uses the classic menu and the kde kicker...i downloaded the Lancelot menu from their software center, unlocked my widgets...saw the lancelot in the widget list, added it to panel, moved it to the left and deleted the standard kicker, while i was playing with it...

And by the way, i am a KDE newbie also...having always been a gnome guy and only went over to KDE when Mint 9 KDE came out...

You can read about it and see on the menu designer's website:
http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

PS: You could also play with it on the live cd of mint 9 kde cd to gain experience in doing this without actually doing it on your hard installation...and also to see if you like the menu or not :)

But as i said, not hard at all..and i don't even normally even bother with widgets!
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

craig10x wrote:PS: You could also play with it on the live cd of mint 9 kde cd to gain experience in doing this without actually doing it on your hard installation...and also to see if you like the menu or not :)

But as i said, not hard at all..and i don't even normally even bother with widgets!
Thx Craig10x for your help.

I re-installed Mint 9 KDE (which I replaced by Mint 10 gnome when my Network Manager stopped working and I couldn't get it working again - in the mean time I found a solution somewhere else on this forum) and replaced Kicker by Lancelot and I must say it is certainly worth trying out. I like this Lancelot a lot ;-). With the solution for Network Manager and Lancelot on my laptop, I'm going to stick to Mint 9 KDE for a while (till LM 10 KDE ... well you know).
Anyway, I think that Lancelot is indeed a very good choice to replace Kicker.
And I learned again something new on the way the KDE panel is set up.
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,

someone can tell us when Mint Kde 10 will be out ?

We're 28th december and always nothing. :cry:

Thanks.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Dupo wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
Still nothing happening on the community site...so it is probably still some ways from an rc.

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

foggytown wrote:

Thanks.
Still nothing happening on the community site...so it is probably still some ways from an rc.

the new lmde never made it to the website so who knows but boo what the satus of linuxmint kde is
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Thanks.
Given that the releases are on approximately 6-month cycles, and that Linux Mint 9 KDE was released five months ago, I would guess that the final release would be in about a month from now.

Joe
olligod

Post by olligod »

cpatrick08 wrote:
foggytown wrote:

Thanks.

the new lmde never made it to the website so who knows but boo what the satus of linuxmint kde is

Regarding the iso web site:
MINT-DEBIAN IS WELL AND ALIVE (released 1 week ago) - and wasn't even mentioned on the above mentioned community/iso website.
I WONDER WHETHER that iso listing site is still used / included in the information loop by the "powers that be",
i.e. boo and clem regarding Mint-KDE...

EDIT: As a side note, it occurs to me that, for 32bit-LMDE users, all is not "well", since there seem to be the blue screen of death... but the point is that as of today (30-12) the
iso web site still is not in the loop, i.e. is not used for posting up-to-date information.
Last edited by olligod on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sylvainsjc

Post by sylvainsjc »

BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for posting that link, sylvainsjc. I had completely missed that comment on the blog.
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

mint menu and unity desktop...i guess both will never get mixed....*sigh*
unity will create division of opinion about gnome :(
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

Not sure how much longer I can wait...I may just end up going with kubuntu...again. :-/

Return to “Software & Applications”