Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by exploder »

Oh, that's not good. But I am enjoying Mint 10 KDE very much indeed, thanks.

So she's immortal is she?

Or is that too off topic? :D
My wife is 22 years younger than me. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:
Oh, that's not good. But I am enjoying Mint 10 KDE very much indeed, thanks.

So she's immortal is she?

Or is that too off topic? :D
Then keep smiling my friend, keep smiling.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
vu2ikl

Post by vu2ikl »

i installed LMKDE 10 a few days back.. but there are few things that i am troubled with..

1. how to get the workspace switch icons in taskbar. these icons are by default in kubuntu. and i find it pretty handy.
2. i have several times changed the settings so as to open a file with single click instead of double click.. but it automatically changes back to double click to open. same thing with auto login to the OS. i want auto login.. but with every upgrade..it automatically shifts to require sign in to enter into OS.
3. when i download a file in firefox..and open it from download window of firefox.. it opens the dolphin AND opens the file. say, i have downloaded xyz.flv. if i double click to open it. LMKDE opens the dolphin and also executes that file in vlc.. i just want to execute it in vlc.

thanks in advance.

cheers!
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

how does one download the 270 nvidia drivers? please i require simple steps not just URL to the tar or binary file. if thats the only option, what to do with tar / bin files to install from, unzipping to installing please

running UL50vt laptop. i had to switch the IDE advanced settings from enhanced to compatibility for nvidia to work on laptop
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

kmb42vt wrote:By the way, do you mean that the "Desktop Effects" under "System Settings" is no longer there at all?
Desktop Effects is still a choice in System Settings, but when I open it, it says effects are disabled for the following technical reasons, but nothing is listed. The entire rest of the window is then disabled. I can't even change the tab from General to All Effects or Advanced.

This has persisted after a reinstall of my root partition, so obviously I managed to bork a user config file. :(
colyn

Post by colyn »

exploder wrote:[
Cradle robber.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My lady is 14 years younger than me.. :D :D
rom515

Post by rom515 »

After reading through all these posts I too was having the same issues on both mt GX620 laptop and my desktop. Because most of what I have read are Quick fixes that do not really fix the underlining issues of Plymouth, all my issues stopped when I upgraded to the 2.6.37 RC8 kernel following these instructions from "Kendall" on another post. I still applied all the suggested changes in the "StartUp-Manager" but that was this morning after I ran for 4 days without a KDE crash with applying only the upgraded kernel. The instructions are here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=kernel

The website I used to get the kernel is:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... rc8-natty/

I installed the files in this order:

1) http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 05_all.deb

2) http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... _amd64.deb (or i386.deb if you have a 32-bit system)

3) http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... _amd64.deb (again i386.deb if you have a 32-bit system)

I chose to simply use GDebi to install my kernel and did not do it from the command-line, but if you wanted to you would navigate to the folder where you downloaded the files >> Right-Click in the folder, not on the files, and choose "Actions / Open Terminal Here" >> Install each file by issuing the following command "dpkg -l package-name.deb", without the quotes and the "package-name" meaning you would use "linux-headers-2.6.37...", or "linux-image-2.6.37...", followed by the rest of the text of the three files you downloaded.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

colyn wrote:
dante19992 wrote:i got sumtin to report. i was 100% unable to install proprietary drivers. i only had two options (as always) broadcom b43 and broadcom STA. i tried each with no success and i need them for my wireless.
Have you tried

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
? This should up date you to the latest kernel..

Don't know if it will work but it may be worth a try..
i stand corrected u were right on target
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

kmb42vt wrote:Despite rec9140's rather strong way of expressing himself about certain subjects,
I don't do "PC" or "warm and fuzzy" or " koombaye" or any of that other mumbo jumbo.

I post, speak, and act to the point, bluntly and frankly. I don't pull any punches, and don't sugar coat it.

If that offends or repulses or grates or what ever, such is life.
kmb42vt wrote:I have to agree with his basic points on Plymouth. Plymouth has been controversial since it's first introduction in Fedora 10 as being half implemented, buggy and not compatible with any proprietary video driver. The only time it does work like it's supposed to is if a proprietary driver is not used or at least that's my ............... And whether it's right or wrong, first impressions are vital. More to the point, Plymouth, as compared to the rest of these excellent, high quality operating systems that utilize it, sticks out like a sore thumb as very poor quality indeed or it's the impression it gives. People simply don't care so much if works properly as much as they care about how it looks.
DING! DING DING! DING! We have a winner, tip your waitress try the veal!

Some one else who gets it...
kmb42vt wrote:That being said, Linux Mint can’t really be blamed for having to use it. It was Canonical's decision to incorporate Plymouth into Ubuntu and the folks at Mint have enough hard work as it is overhauling the latest Ubuntu milestone release every 6 months in order to bring it up to Mint's standards without having to rip Plymouth out of the boot sequence at the same time. They would also have to come up with something to replace it as rolling text doesn't make the best impression either in the case of a of a modern day, user friendly, "works-out-of-box" OS like Linux Mint.
Kmint cleans up a TON of stuff from a certain other "distro" and if cleaning up this is another part of it I am all for it.

I will post again... whats the deal with usplash or upslash or what ever it was ? ? ? Just because Canoncial does it doesn't make it right... lets look at wayland and unity... the general consensus by my staff is not polite.

colyn wrote:I'm not implying that plymouth doesn't have issues. My point is that not all computers are experiencing these issues.
So its only a problem if every computer has the issue... :?:
colyn wrote:Getting mad because someone has a different point of view does him no good and shows immaturity..
No ones mad.. see above on my postings...
colyn wrote: Instead he should be filing a bug report..
Been there done that in the past with many projects... this has went on for what 2 years? With no replacement or real effort to correct, just like the non KDE'zed settings in KMint, report and suggest they be set to the normal KDE settings, yet they persist.
colyn wrote: I have several computers running Intel, ATI, and Nvidia chipsets, some running proprietary video drivers while the rest are running non-proprietary video drivers. None of these computers have had any issues with plymouth but I do realize some people will have issues with theirs..
I've got a mix of ati an nVidia, don't use intel cpu or graphics, which is causing a huge headache for an embedded product in sourcing products, AMD get in the game an atom killer, with nVidia graphics!, PLEASE!

I've got a PC at work which has sat still waiting for a viable KDE 4.x release or move to some thing else with Trinity I can already see issues coming as it boots in low graphics on the live DVD.

My test laptop is a name brand from a large retailer, a BF special, so theres plenty of them out there and similar units all will have problems, AMD with nVidia.

I am not using the non OEM drivers, period. They are junk... I've seen things run faster with two cinder blocks glued to a snail.

Bottom line?? What has to happen for it to be a problem to you?
colyn wrote: Unless someone comes up with something else better to replace plymouth I have no problems with it staying put..
Because you don't have the issue or have to deal with the fall out from it.

Again, I ask what was wrong with the previous splash display, outside of the change upstream? ?
colyn wrote: I've been involved with computers since back before personal computers existed and can say with absolute certainty that not all software will work perfect with all computers..
My first computer was a PDP8e with a TTY terminal :shock: :D :mrgreen: along with the ability to use err misuse the IBM main frames of a certain large US metals company. Now I have more power than those multi floor leves of computing on my lap. :mrgreen:
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i tried it but i just couldnt handle using it over mint so i came back. btw will mint kde ever have a kde optimized kernel? i think that would be a huge bonus
kvv

Post by kvv »

dante19992 wrote:a kde optimized kernel?
is there really such a thing?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

i have to admit that lm10 kde ran sluggish on my desktop setup and laptop.
i resorted back to lm9 kde running on 2.6.38rc4 with kernel / 200 line patch thingy and is running alot more smoother then lm10kde rc.

this is the first time ill sit back for alittle while and wait for an extra month or 2 after the final comes out.

i now tend to believe what people have been saying lately regarding that the new distros that have been comming out lately, whether it be kde or gnome, its actually starting to gear towards faster more powerful pc's. lm10kde ran sluggish on my 1.3 laptop but was SO much more responsive on my wifes 2.5.

another thing that ive noticed, whether or not the updates are the blame, or maybe the new kernels containing more drivers, the system seems to boot longer / long as win 7 or xp or at best of times about the same from boot to desktop. but on the other hand, Pardus 2011 boots to screen alot faster the lm10kde?

your thoughts.

other then that, a very good job on the new kde distro
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

Just installed yesterday and I have to say it's beautiful. I continually hop between Gnome and KDE, mostly preferring the simplicity of Gnomes looks, but somehow this KDE version seems cleaner and it's absolutely gorgeous (all I've really done to customise is change the icon set to Faenza and put on the blue wood background).

The installer crapped out the first time but worked fine on the second go. Now all I'd like is to get rid of the Mint updater that keeps appearing in the tray. I could have sworn I got rid of it in Services but it still keeps on appearing. It's probably simple but I don't know how, anyone ? I mean, I could remove it via Synaptic, but where's it being called from when I log in ?
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

kvv wrote:
dante19992 wrote:a kde optimized kernel?
is there really such a thing?
there was a distro tht had optimized their kernel for kde. it was either chakra or pardus i cant remember
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

ibm450 wrote:how does one download the 270 nvidia drivers? please i require simple steps not just URL to the tar or binary file. if thats the only option, what to do with tar / bin files to install from, unzipping to installing please
heres what I did...

fresh install from DVD

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
When I did a reboot mintupdate wanted to update some things related to this as well.

I have 270.18 installed, and can state this dramatically speeds things up....compared to the 260 series that "additional drivers" will install.

BUT it breaks Kopote for webcam use using Logitech webcam... works with nv, but thats like using molasess, oh well.. no web cam.

UPDATE: It appears that the gspac and zc3xx are the issue with the nVidia drivers.. A new Logitech C310 HD 720p camera on UVC drivers works great in Kopete and Cheese! Got to love that name... so while I am not a big IM or web cam user, thats one less black mark.

Will see what if anything it does for XDMCP via ssh and LAN... even with Xephyr this was a little slow, but faster than KRDC. (Yes, I still rely on Networked X, and it rocks! Walk up to any box, stick in a DVD or USB stick and instant real PC. :) )

Any one interested in this, I will save you the time skip Xnest its not going to work with newer X versions and especially with any composting enabled. Massive screen paiting errors.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

<removed by user to post in it's own thread>
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

rec9140 wrote:
ibm450 wrote:how does one download the 270 nvidia drivers? please i require simple steps not just URL to the tar or binary file. if thats the only option, what to do with tar / bin files to install from, unzipping to installing please
heres what I did...

fresh install from DVD

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
When I did a reboot mintupdate wanted to update some things related to this as well.

I have 270.18 installed, and can state this dramatically speeds things up....compared to the 260 series that "additional drivers" will install.

BUT it breaks Kopote for webcam use using Logitech webcam... works with nv, but thats like using molasess, oh well.. no web cam.

UPDATE: It appears that the gspac and zc3xx are the issue with the nVidia drivers.. A new Logitech C310 HD 720p camera on UVC drivers works great in Kopete and Cheese! Got to love that name... so while I am not a big IM or web cam user, thats one less black mark.

Will see what if anything it does for XDMCP via ssh and LAN... even with Xephyr this was a little slow, but faster than KRDC. (Yes, I still rely on Networked X, and it rocks! Walk up to any box, stick in a DVD or USB stick and instant real PC. :) )

Any one interested in this, I will save you the time skip Xnest its not going to work with newer X versions and especially with any composting enabled. Massive screen paiting errors.
Quick question. Are you running the kernel that came with the LM10 KDE RC install (2.6.35.22) or have you updated to the latest that's available through level 5 updates (2.6.35.25)? Just wondering.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

kmb42vt wrote:Quick question. Are you running the kernel that came with the LM10 KDE RC install (2.6.35.22) or have you updated to the latest that's available through level 5 updates (2.6.35.25)? Just wondering.
Stock kernel from the RC ISO. No updates have been listed for the kernel that I've seen or accepted, and no apt-get dist-update either.

When did this kernel update come in mintUpdate? ? Or is it still only on dist-update?
colyn

Post by colyn »

rec9140 wrote: Stock kernel from the RC ISO. No updates have been listed for the kernel that I've seen or accepted, and no apt-get dist-update either.

When did this kernel update come in mintUpdate? ? Or is it still only on dist-update?
The correct code is

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
this will upgrade to the newest kernel..
M4t3us

Post by M4t3us »

I appologize if this has already been mentioned, which it possibly has.

But Lancelot doesn't like Oxygen.

Return to “Software & Applications”