Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kooldino

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by kooldino »

Thanks for the update, Boo.

Let us know how progress is going when you have time.
alexsaw

Post by alexsaw »

So...when I can take mint KDE 10? At first page somebody write, that one of Developers say that kde 10 will be in the middle of December..so today the 12 !!Where I can learn about the exit mint kde 10?
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey alex,

It's only 1 developer that's working on LM10 KDE, so it's going to take some time to get things in order....there's a lot involved when putting these distro's together, and it is quite involved....so be patient like everyone else has to and wait for it to get here....Boo is only one person and apparently the only one working on it.....have a great day

Andrew
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

alexsaw wrote:So...when I can take mint KDE 10? At first page somebody write, that one of Developers say that kde 10 will be in the middle of December..so today the 12 !!Where I can learn about the exit mint kde 10?
Check this Community Website "Testing" page (various pre-release flavors of Mint .iso's under test) on a regular basis to monitor the status of LM10 KDE:

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

It's not ready for testing yet so it's not currently listed but keep checking and when LM10 KDE enters the testing phase, you'll see it there, how far along it is in testing (%) and/or whether it failed or was approved for release. And please, keep in mind what Andrew said in the previous comment. Mint KDE will always take more time to release than the Main versions. Besides, December has 31 days so it won't be middle until of the month until noon on the 15th. (Personally, I'll give him until Christmas Eve. Pretty generous of me, huh? :D )
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
alexsaw

Post by alexsaw »

Only one man do LM10 KDE??? It`s fantastic!! Why so less??? It`s very very bad....
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Boo is really the only one who'll take on the KDE version and he wants to make sure it's done correctly.....not that anyone else wouldn't help, it's just his way of doing things....so therefore, it'll take him longer to accomplish this task to make sure it's right the first time....so keep your chin up, when it's done, it'll be grand and worth the wait....our part is to be patient with him and give him time....cheers

Andrew
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

An update on LM KDE10.
The bulk of the iso is done.
I have been spending most of my time trying to get ECMA scripts (KDE java script) to work to apply the mint desktop layout to the KDE desktop.
In KDE4.4 these scripts were optional but now in KDE4.5 it is the default and only way to pre-define a desktop. ie a desktop for a new user.

I think the ECMA scripting is a great idea but...
so far it has been like pulling teeth, but I am close.
Now I have to find out if my problems are me, bugs, features, or un-inplimented features.
I could just be doing more than the KDE devs thought anyone would be doing (yet).

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

Is the MintMenu in the KDE edition?
If so:
Is it KDE native or does it rely on the Gnome libs?
Is it portable to other KDE distros?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Boo wrote:I could just be doing more than the KDE devs thought anyone would be doing (yet).

Cheers
Jamie
No doubt at all that you'll get it to work. Then you can show those KDE folks a thing or three? That would be very 8) indeed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

no mintMenu in KDE but I am using lancelot_launcher.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I played around with lancelot launcher while experimenting with a live cd of pclinuxos kde version and it is very nice actually...different from mint menu but quite elegant looking and works really nice...It's kind of like a cross between the kde kicker and the mint menu :lol:

I know you are still working on the main edition mint 10 kde, jamie... but i was curious if you think that after it's completed and released that you would be seeing about doing a LMDE KDE version as well?
Last edited by craig10x on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

oops sorry..duplicate post :mrgreen:
rs45

Post by rs45 »

I played around with lancelot launcher while experimenting with a live cd of pclinuxos kde version and it is very nice actually...different from mint menu but quite elegant looking and works really nice...It's kind of like a cross between the kde kicker and the mint menu.
I agree with you on this point. Lancelot is better than Kickoff and sure is elegant and works nice.
Susu

Post by Susu »

I really couldn't get along with KDE since version 4, but I might give it a try because I know Mint devs really care a lot about user experience. Take all the time you need, Boo.
mdamanuddin

Post by mdamanuddin »

will wine be preinstalled in lm10 kde like it was in lm9 kde? just wondering!!
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

Cool. I got someone a dell Mini 1012 for christmas and would love to have time to install mint 10 KDE on it. Do you think it should be done by the 22nd? If not, I can just throw kubuntu on it.
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

canci wrote:Hi all,

I personally couldn't wait for the new KDE Mint any longer and went ahead and installed KDE manually
on my Linux Mint 10. I was a little dissatisfied with how it looked and made my own theme proposal:

The idea was to mimic the theme of Linux Mint 10 as much as possible, while keeping it blue.

More info here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 41&start=0

Sexy!
colyn

Post by colyn »

kooldino wrote:Cool. I got someone a dell Mini 1012 for christmas and would love to have time to install mint 10 KDE on it. Do you think it should be done by the 22nd? If not, I can just throw kubuntu on it.
The first release will be the RC release which could have bugs. However as they are reported and fixed updates will be released which will slowly upgrade you to the final. Just like they did in Mint 10..
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

will you be using the knetwork manager or the gnome network manager i hope you use the gnome network manager because you can connect to a hidden network with the gnome network manager but not with knetwork manager
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I got slightly impatient so I just installed KDE on top of Mint 10 Gnome from the repo, then added the Kubuntu PPA to get KDE 4.5.4 and changed GDM to KDM (There was no shutdown option in Kickoff using GDM)

No big problems, everything seems to be working as it should. Only a little niggle with the QTCurve theme I'm using and the Menubar in OpenOffice (Text should be white but it's still black) Will look for a fix in the morning.

I'll play around with it for a few days and if I'm satisfied will start to purge all the Gnome apps, themes and icon sets that I was using :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”