Linux Mint 10 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jix

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by Jix »

Finally got around to trying it.

HP nx9420
Intel Centrino T2500
ATI Radeon x1600 (xorg drivers)
1 GB SDRAM

Overall it's much better than Kubuntu 10.10. Much classier and streamlined.

Got a few errors during installation:
- Said it couldn't detect screen resolution or video hardware.
- Error in KDE Daemon "Unable to save bookmarks"
- After timezone I got "Ubi-console-setup failed with exit code 141." I pressed retry and it continued without a problem.

Remarks:
- In the Menu (main area) "System Settings" should be more available, like next to "Computer" and "Applications", not available only after pressing "Computer".
- It would be better if "Leave" button was to the right, not the middle (more instinctive).
- In Places (Quick Access in task bar), you can't delete folders added. You have to drag and move them to desktop to delete them. Looks like a simple right-click function is missing.
- Can't move folders around on desktop. Someone mentioned it before and I think there's a solution to it, but something this useful shouldn't require a "solution."
- In the Menu, I get a delayed reaction in the hovering box effect when over selections.
- Have crackling sound when watching videos (I guess it's a KDE 4.6 thing).
- Still get overheating. This appeared after Ubuntu/Mint 8 and was never fixed.

Besides that, I love the look and the apps preinstalled. Still have plenty to check out.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I love the Mint 10 KDE version. To put it mildly, I really hate KDE. I have tried it on many different distros and just find myself seeking either the look or comfort of Gnome, LXDE or Xfce. However, I have been wanting to try KDE 4.6 so I installed over my LMDE install on my primary laptop just based on the screenshots I have seen. And that's huge because I love my LMDE!! But I want to like KDE. I try it, then hate it, then switch, then try again, and on and on it goes. But this time with 4.6, Lancelot menu, the Mint goodies and a gorgeous desktop, I have to say I am both impressed and pleased.

From just appearances alone, this is the most beautiful KDE I have found. I still have to find ways to tweak some settings more to my liking (a few launchers next to the menu is my next chore if I can figure it out), but it is obvious some thought and tweaking went into getting this desktop configured.

Great job to the folks who put this out. This is the best my desktop has ever looked in any Linux distro to date and the system is fast and very responsive.
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

Ok I took the plunge, and maybe I shouldn't have, though I am able to get it to work.
First off - I had to install in low graphics mode since it didn't recognize things. That was fine, however a minor issue is there was no slideshow during the install. Not sure if that is connected to the low graphics or maybe the slideshow isn't yet present.

The other rather important issue is that since I preserved the /home partition it kept all my settings. The only problem was it appeared without a taskbar. I was able to get one back by adding a default panel. It looks fine, except isn't using the Lancelot menu, which I was already using. I was able to add the Lancelot launcher back, but the icon is staying as KDE, even though it shows in the settings it is a Linux Mint icon.

As I said otherwise everything is working really zippy and well so far otherwise.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Open a folder in Dolphin and try to resize it by dragging the edge. It can't be done and that's one of the most basic functions of a desktop environment.
It's driving me nuts. :roll:

Ok, I figured it out. I had to make the window borders bigger. Now there's no problem with it. :oops:
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Ok I hereby take back every negative thing I said about Mint 10 KDE. (except about the installer, you shouldn't have to spend 40 minutes downloading language packs that you don't want). But after spending some time with it and fine tuning it, I can no longer find fault with it. Hey I might be a little slow, but I get there. 8)
nico

Post by nico »

I have successfully installed 10 Mint KDE, everything works perfectly (at least so far) except for a strange message that appears right after the boot (grub2):

modprobe fatal: Could not load lib/modules/2.6.35.25-generic

Despite this warning the system starts normally.
I checked, but in fact there is nowhere this lib/modules/2.6.35.25
another crap you add to the ugliness of Plymouth :lol:
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

nico wrote:another crap you add to the ugliness of Plymouth :lol:
I have to ask. . . . WHY is this piece of junk being used? ? ? Its got known issues with just about every thing under the sun, causes nothing but bug report after bug report? ? ? ?

Why is this thing still around ? ? ? Seems this should have been dumped a few rounds ago when it was found to be so buggy.
Susu

Post by Susu »

You can just uninstall plymouth related stuff.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Susu wrote:You can just uninstall plymouth related stuff.
Missing the point...

WHY USE IT if its does nothing but cause problems?
Susu

Post by Susu »

rec9140 wrote:
Susu wrote:You can just uninstall plymouth related stuff.
Missing the point...

WHY USE IT if its does nothing but cause problems?
No problems here...
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Susu wrote:No problems here...
Typical "works for me, closed."

Not a solution... just look at the posts every time a new release... problems with this thing ...

It should go.
Susu

Post by Susu »

rec9140 wrote:
Susu wrote:No problems here...
Typical "works for me, closed."

Not a solution... just look at the posts every time a new release... problems with this thing ...

It should go.
If all the things that caused a lot of trouble (and bug reports), should go - where would we all be?

Edit: And besides: "It should go" is just "Doesn't work for me, closed". Think about it!
zole052

Post by zole052 »

nico wrote: another crap you add to the ugliness of Plymouth :lol:
Run 'StartUp-Manager' and set a higher display resolution and color depth to 24 bits and close it.
nico

Post by nico »

Ok,
changed to 24 bit , now i have the 'normal' logo working.. :wink:
still remain the strange warning though
( it seems not to cause issues , but just esthetically annoying )
colyn

Post by colyn »

rec9140 wrote:
nico wrote:another crap you add to the ugliness of Plymouth :lol:
I have to ask. . . . WHY is this piece of junk being used? ? ? Its got known issues with just about every thing under the sun, causes nothing but bug report after bug report? ? ? ?

Why is this thing still around ? ? ? Seems this should have been dumped a few rounds ago when it was found to be so buggy.
Up front I don't have any issues with it.

Some computers will work fine with it some won't. That does not always mean it has bugs..

If it was as bad as you say it most likely would have been scrapped long ago but since it is still being used it has merit..
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

I agree that it should be corrected somehow so that you don't have to go into Startup Manager and change the settings there. However, it isn't that awful, since we use Linux, most don't see that boot sequence very often anyway.
BrOiler1985

Post by BrOiler1985 »

nico wrote:Ok,
changed to 24 bit , now i have the 'normal' logo working.. :wink:
still remain the strange warning though
( it seems not to cause issues , but just esthetically annoying )
In Startup-Manager just choose "Show splash screen" and uncheck "show text", and that should be fixed :)
trc13

Post by trc13 »

KDE 4.6 did not have to come up with Oxygen-GTK? :shock: :?
Vixxo

Post by Vixxo »

I've installed mint 10 KDE RC on my compaq laptop and eveything works fine except some issues that I think are caused by kde:
-sometimes windows "stuck" i explain better: while switching between windows, there often are "pieces of textures" from other windows i can delete by re-switching window
-problems with textboxes (especcially login ones) on browsers (chrome, firefox ecc) sometimes i don't see letters or the cursor seems to be in the wrong place
-facebook problems: some mess with textures solvable by moving the window, or problems with chat and textboxes

Any advice?

Thanks
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Since there are many on this forum, who can not engage in a lively debate...

FAIR WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS STRONGLY OPINIONATED, and IF THATS AN ISSUE....SCROLL ON BY!

colyn wrote:Up front I don't have any issues with it.

Some computers will work fine with it some won't. That does not always mean it has bugs..
Really? Seriously? You would take that response to your boss to explain why people are reporting an issue and dismiss it as not being an issue? Really?

Well I can tell you a couple things.

1) If you were the developer and gave me that answer as the CIO,I have a few words for you ala my best Trump voice "YOUR FIRED!"

2) My BOSS the head of the agency, if I passed that up the chain would have the same comment ala their best Trump voice "YOUR FIRED!"
colyn wrote: If it was as bad as you say it most likely would have been scrapped long ago but since it is still being used it has merit..
Well... that metric is just not going to cut it in the real world. Oh.. its free software.... so? KMint should put out an inferior product because its free? NO. Its clear that KMint puts out a FAR BETTER product than its base distro. Head and shoulders above it, even with kde 4.x issues aside.

I've put this on my test machine, and all I get is an ugly blue background with a bunch of stupid dots blinking ala 1983.

This squarely goes on my test list as a FAILURE. Others have the same thing. Yes I set it to a higher resolution, and 24 bit depth, same ugly screen.

I am pretty obstinate when it comes to how I develop things, my web browser is Konqi, period. Full stop, end of story. I develop using it, I test on it and 99.99999999% of the time by doing so it works fine in just about everything out there including that piece of crap from a certain washington state based company. I am not a fan of ECMAScript so by not using that I eliminate a lot of the huge problems.... BUT . . . . .

If I used the metric being used for plymouth, then the head of my agency would fire me. Theres more than a couple reports, its got a problem. If it can't be corrected then it needs to be replaced. Its that simple. Works for some, problems for some, is not an acceptable answer, and and would not be tolerated in my agency or any business. I would have to replace or remove it and just let the text scroll by during boot up.

Considering that the hardware that is the test is a laptop that was sold NATIONALLY from a MAJOR US RETAILER and MAJOR MAKER, the chances are its in a good number of users hands, and thus the problem is going to be widely reproducible, thus FAILURE.

You betcha I installed the OEM nVidia drivers, I don't use that dog crap driver nouveau, its nouveau all right, nouveau crap! :evil: Why that thing is allowed to continue to float around I have no clue... big whoop its open source... its crap! The KMint installer looked like crap because of it.. why? Using that "dim" feature... really can this not be dropped, please!, I am so over the whole dim the screen effect.. its about like wobbly spinny thingys, so tired! :twisted: Nothing but break ups and a dull grey screen v. the dimmed effect.

And as example another test machine I have in my office that will get this depending on my eval over the weekend on my personal machine has an ati crap card, unfortunately when these were ordered nVidia was not an option from the OEM, I am not happy about it either, but such is life sometimes....I don't have the budget to get separate cards and change out, the time costs for this swap out alone would have been more than the PC's! The point is that I put the ilve DVD in... and "low graphics mode" and a bunch of stupid popup boxes to click to get it to boot....

As far as I am concerned, this is "spin" on a problem, and it gets a big fat F for FAILURE.

Return to “Software & Applications”