Linux Mint 10 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by colyn »

rec9140 wrote:Since there are many on this forum, who can not engage in a lively debate...
colyn wrote:Up front I don't have any issues with it.

Some computers will work fine with it some won't. That does not always mean it has bugs..
rec9140 wrote:Really? Seriously? You would take that response to your boss to explain why people are reporting an issue and dismiss it as not being an issue? Really?
If you have used Linux for any amount of time you should know not all works with every computer.....guess what???? the same is true for Windows..........
rec9140 wrote:Well I can tell you a couple things.

1) If you were the developer and gave me that answer as the CIO,I have a few words for you ala my best Trump voice "YOUR FIRED!"
Now your mentality or lack thereof is showing through...
rec9140 wrote:2) My BOSS the head of the agency, if I passed that up the chain would have the same comment ala their best Trump voice "YOUR FIRED!"
I've been involved in IT and company computer maint. before so I know this is hogwash...
colyn wrote: If it was as bad as you say it most likely would have been scrapped long ago but since it is still being used it has merit..
rec9140 wrote:I've put this on my test machine, and all I get is an ugly blue background with a bunch of stupid dots blinking ala 1983.

This squarely goes on my test list as a FAILURE. Others have the same thing. Yes I set it to a higher resolution, and 24 bit depth, same ugly screen..
If you read this or any Linux forum you'll find like I said before not all works with every computer but then since it does not work on yours it's a failure....

The rest of your dribble I will withhold comment since you are obviously gunning for a fight nor will I comment further on your childish comments....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

colyn wrote: If you have used Linux for any amount of time you should know not all works with every computer.....guess what???? the same is true for Windows..........
And I am tasked with resolving that issue:

1) Remove the hardware and find hardware that works
2) Remove the software and find software that works

Doesn't matter the OS...

The problem is to be resolved, period. If the fancy graphics don't work then scrolling text it is!
colyn wrote: Now your mentality or lack thereof is showing through...

I've been involved in IT and company computer maint. before so I know this is hogwash...
This may wash at your company or agency.. It doesn't at mine. Thats right, there are VERY HIGH EXPECTATIONS and DEMANDS of ME and MY STAFF by MY BOSS.

Example: Lets just say we were in the distro business and shipped this to our clients.

Client A calls in and says we are getting this ugly blue screen with dots and text... you showed us this nice pretty graphic when you sold it to us... Where is this? It doesn't work on your PC's, you will have to accept that screen. The next thing we would be getting is a lawsuit for breech of contract, failure to provide materials, etc. and I would be looking for employment elsewhere.

Client B no problems gets the cute screen

Client C same as client A, differing PC's

As an example the action that plymouth is trying to emulate from a certain other OS, works, period. From xp to 7 that graphic of some sort comes up just as it was designed at that other m company.

Upsplash or Usplash or what ever, never caused these issues, that I recall, be free to point out my oversight. I don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't have issues too.
colyn wrote: If you read this or any Linux forum you'll find like I said before not all works with every computer but then since it does not work on yours it's a failure....
Is not just mine... there are others on here same issues, I am just willing to be vocal about it.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

About "rec9140" opinion about Plymouth...

Despite rec9140's rather strong way of expressing himself about certain subjects, I have to agree with his basic points on Plymouth. Plymouth has been controversial since it's first introduction in Fedora 10 as being half implemented, buggy and not compatible with any proprietary video driver. The only time it does work like it's supposed to is if a proprietary driver is not used or at least that's my experience so far. Having to install (in the case of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc) the "Startup Manager" and set the to 1024x768 @ 24 bit color is a work around, not a solution. The fact that it still boots up no matter what it looks like is irrelevant.

Put it this way. Linux Mint in any of it's versions (I believe) with the exception of LMDE uses Plymouth during boot up. Same for Ubuntu and it's CEs. Once installed and a proprietary video driver is installed as well, for the majority of users the actual GUI of the OS looks just fine no matter if it's Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint Main or Linux Mint KDE, the GUI just works--no glitches or anomalies in the majority of cases. That's acceptable. But Plymouth, in nearly all cases where a proprietary video driver is utilized, looks terrible and makes for a very bad first impression. And whether it's right or wrong, first impressions are vital. More to the point, Plymouth, as compared to the rest of these excellent, high quality operating systems that utilize it, sticks out like a sore thumb as very poor quality indeed or it's the impression it gives. People simply don't care so much if works properly as much as they care about how it looks.

That being said, Linux Mint can’t really be blamed for having to use it. It was Canonical's decision to incorporate Plymouth into Ubuntu and the folks at Mint have enough hard work as it is overhauling the latest Ubuntu milestone release every 6 months in order to bring it up to Mint's standards without having to rip Plymouth out of the boot sequence at the same time. They would also have to come up with something to replace it as rolling text doesn't make the best impression either in the case of a of a modern day, user friendly, "works-out-of-box" OS like Linux Mint.

To be honest, I'm not offering any solution to the problem of Plymouth or demanding anything from the developers. I'm simply agreeing with rec9140's opinion of Plymouth in it's essence if not in the form in which his opinion is presented. Including Plymouth in the boot up sequence has been and is still considered by many as a controversial decision on Canonical's part and it's incorporation is badly implemented.

Just my opinion of course, but If Linux Mint were to picked up and offered by a major PC manufacturer as an alternative to Windows you could almost guarantee that, like windows, the correct proprietary video driver would be installed and that the PC manufacturer would have no more luck in making Plymouth look any better than it does than we do. :P
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smsmith »

Well, I don't know what I did, but after a reboot today, my desktop effects were disabled. In my attempts to turn them back on, I discovered that all the desktop effects plugins are missing in the system settings. Must have been an update gone bad?
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

smsmith wrote:Well, I don't know what I did, but after a reboot today, my desktop effects were disabled. In my attempts to turn them back on, I discovered that all the desktop effects plugins are missing in the system settings. Must have been an update gone bad?
Have you actually received any updates over the past few days? The reason I ask is that I haven't had a single update to LM 10 KDE RC for the past 4 days or so while LM 10 and LMDE have been getting updates steadily during the same time period. I run all 3 by the way.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

kmb42vt wrote: Have you actually received any updates over the past few days? The reason I ask is that I haven't had a single update to LM 10 KDE RC for the past 4 days or so while LM 10 and LMDE have been getting updates steadily during the same time period. I run all 3 by the way.
If you updated right after install

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
you probably won't get any till bugs are fixed and the fix is released. If I recall I got 36 updates after doing an update after installation which had fixes etc up to that point..
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

kmb42vt wrote:About "rec9140" opinion about Plymouth...

Despite rec9140's rather strong way of expressing himself about certain subjects, I have to agree with his basic points on Plymouth. Plymouth has been controversial since it's first introduction in Fedora 10 as being half implemented, buggy and not compatible with any proprietary video driver. The only time it does work like it's supposed to is if a proprietary driver is not used or at least that's my experience so far. Having to install (in the case of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc) the "Startup Manager" and set the to 1024x768 @ 24 bit color is a work around, not a solution. The fact that it still boots up no matter what it looks like is irrelevant.
I'm not implying that plymouth doesn't have issues. My point is that not all computers are experiencing these issues. Getting mad because someone has a different point of view does him no good and shows immaturity.. Instead he should be filing a bug report..

I have several computers running Intel, ATI, and Nvidia chipsets, some running proprietary video drivers while the rest are running non-proprietary video drivers. None of these computers have had any issues with plymouth but I do realize some people will have issues with theirs..

Unless someone comes up with something else better to replace plymouth I have no problems with it staying put..

I've been involved with computers since back before personal computers existed and can say with absolute certainty that not all software will work perfect with all computers..
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

colyn wrote:I've been involved with computers since back before personal computers existed and can say with absolute certainty that not all software will work perfect with all computers..
Heh, we have something in common then. But I wasn't complaining really or saying you didn't appreciate the problems with Plymouth, just stating that of the current releases of both Ubuntu and Mint, Plymouth is the most problematic. I can live with that simply due to my past experience being similar to yours. I'm just agreeing that (as a professional) in the world of modern computers, Plymouth needs to either be overhauled or replaced, that's all. But I also agree that there's no need to get angry and end up ranting about it on the forums. It's not exactly constructive now is it?
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

kmb42vt wrote:
colyn wrote:I've been involved with computers since back before personal computers existed and can say with absolute certainty that not all software will work perfect with all computers..
kmb42vt wrote:Heh, we have something in common then. But I wasn't complaining really or saying you didn't appreciate the problems with Plymouth, just stating that of the current releases of both Ubuntu and Mint, Plymouth is the most problematic.
We're getting old...aren't we... :mrgreen:

I think it could partly be the current releases have gone a bit far up the ladder instead of starting slow and slowly working their way up as bugs are fixed.. Wanting to implement the latest in a single release tends to cause a multitude of issues like the VLC issue.
kmb42vt wrote:I can live with that simply due to my past experience being similar to yours. I'm just agreeing that (as a professional) in the world of modern computers, Plymouth needs to either be overhauled or replaced, that's all.
I can agree with that. In addition I think other software could also use a complete makeover..
kmb42vt wrote:But I also agree that there's no need to get angry and end up ranting about it on the forums. It's not exactly constructive now is it?
I agree.
smsmith
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smsmith »

kmb42vt wrote:
smsmith wrote:Well, I don't know what I did, but after a reboot today, my desktop effects were disabled. In my attempts to turn them back on, I discovered that all the desktop effects plugins are missing in the system settings. Must have been an update gone bad?
Have you actually received any updates over the past few days? The reason I ask is that I haven't had a single update to LM 10 KDE RC for the past 4 days or so while LM 10 and LMDE have been getting updates steadily during the same time period. I run all 3 by the way.
Hrm... here's what I *do* remember doing...

Added the xswat ppa because I was getting funny things happening when I switched desktops, minimized windows, on login, etc. The updates from there didn't help, but effects still worked. I know I got other updates; I don't think they all came from xswat.

I then turned off a bunch of the effects. It seemed like the effects that desaturate the desktop or fade the desktop were the ones that weren't playing nice.

I tried logging out today to see if I was still getting the messed up login screen that I reported a couple of days ago in this thread. The desktop crashed so that's what made me reboot.

On restart is when the effects were gone.

I'm going to reinstall and see what happens. This time I won't add xswat since it didn't help me any and adds an element of uncertainty.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

i got sumtin to report. i was 100% unable to install proprietary drivers. i only had two options (as always) broadcom b43 and broadcom STA. i tried each with no success and i need them for my wireless.
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

dante19992 wrote:i got sumtin to report. i was 100% unable to install proprietary drivers. i only had two options (as always) broadcom b43 and broadcom STA. i tried each with no success and i need them for my wireless.
Have you tried

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
? This should up date you to the latest kernel..

Don't know if it will work but it may be worth a try..
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

i had no problem with it on LM9 kde when i was using it so i dont think kernel is the issue
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

smsmith wrote: Hrm... here's what I *do* remember doing...

Added the xswat ppa because I was getting funny things happening when I switched desktops, minimized windows, on login, etc. The updates from there didn't help, but effects still worked. I know I got other updates; I don't think they all came from xswat.

I then turned off a bunch of the effects. It seemed like the effects that desaturate the desktop or fade the desktop were the ones that weren't playing nice.

I tried logging out today to see if I was still getting the messed up login screen that I reported a couple of days ago in this thread. The desktop crashed so that's what made me reboot.

On restart is when the effects were gone.

I'm going to reinstall and see what happens. This time I won't add xswat since it didn't help me any and adds an element of uncertainty.
Strange, I added the xswat PPA myself and updated to the latest Nvidia driver (270) as well as the rest of the updates it offered. Not so much that I was having any real issues, just that things seemed a bit sluggish overall. The updated driver and the other updates from the PPA have sped things up nicely. The basic problem is here typical one as well as a very old one. Different hardware exhibits different problems and performance That's why it's so difficult to find out what happened in these cases.

By the way, do you mean that the "Desktop Effects" under "System Settings" is no longer there at all?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Strange, I added the xswat PPA myself and updated to the latest Nvidia driver (270) as well as the rest of the updates it offered. Not so much that I was having any real issues, just that things seemed a bit sluggish overall. The updated driver and the other updates from the PPA have sped things up nicely. The basic problem is here typical one as well as a very old one. Different hardware exhibits different problems and performance That's why it's so difficult to find out what happened in these cases.
I am using the nvidea 270 driver from the xswat ppa on two systems, nvidea 6150 on board graphics and another with an nvidea gt 220. Everything using OpenGL works better for me with the newer drivers and both systems are quick. I do set the animation speed to "fast", all desktop effects are working. Both systems crashed occasionally on shut down and reboot until I turned off the nepomuk service, it's been three days and no more crashes.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:
I am using the nvidea 270 driver from the xswat ppa on two systems, nvidea 6150 on board graphics and another with an nvidea gt 220. Everything using OpenGL works better for me with the newer drivers and both systems are quick. I do set the animation speed to "fast", all desktop effects are working. Both systems crashed occasionally on shut down and reboot until I turned off the nepomuk service, it's been three days and no more crashes.
Heh, and where did you think I got the idea to add the xswat PPA? :D I did forget to set the animations to "Fast" though. Thanks for reminding me. About Nepomuk, did you actually turn it on at one point? I only ask since Nepomuk and Strigi were disabled by default on install. Personally, I've never had a use for them and just searched the old fashioned way so I'm very glad that Dolphin now has instant search capabilities built in that isn't dependant on an external indexing service.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Heh, and where did you think I got the idea to add the xswat PPA? :D I did forget to set the animations to "Fast" though. Thanks for reminding me. About Nepomuk, did you actually turn it on at one point? I only ask since Nepomuk and Strigi were disabled by default on install. Personally, I've never had a use for them and just searched the old fashioned way so I'm very glad that Dolphin now has instant search capabilities built in that isn't dependant on an external indexing service.
Nepomuk is disabled by default but the service is still started, the service was the hang up causing the crashes, so I put a stop to it. Setting KDE to start with an empty session helps too. Like you, I don't need nepomuk or strigi running. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:
Heh, and where did you think I got the idea to add the xswat PPA? :D I did forget to set the animations to "Fast" though. Thanks for reminding me. About Nepomuk, did you actually turn it on at one point? I only ask since Nepomuk and Strigi were disabled by default on install. Personally, I've never had a use for them and just searched the old fashioned way so I'm very glad that Dolphin now has instant search capabilities built in that isn't dependent on an external indexing service.
Nepomuk is disabled by default but the service is still started, the service was the hang up causing the crashes, so I put a stop to it. Setting KDE to start with an empty session helps too. Like you, I don't need nepomuk or strigi running. :)
Ah, I didn't realize the service was still running. I went into the Service Manager and shut it down permanently. See, even I can learn something new and at my age it's good to know I still can...learn something new that is.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ah, I didn't realize the service was still running. I went into the Service Manager and shut it down permanently. See, even I can learn something new and at my age it's good to know I still can...learn something new that is.
I just want you to enjoy Mint 10 KDE as much as I am. :D I'm not so young myself or so my wife tells me.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:...I'm not so young myself or so my wife tells me.
Oh, that's not good. But I am enjoying Mint 10 KDE very much indeed, thanks.

Or is that too off topic? :D
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “KDE”