Linux Mint 10 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 10 KDE

Post by colyn »

dante19992 wrote: 3 gb DDR ram. and idk my vram. i never figured out how to check T-T
Do a google search on your model and check the specs..
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

i have. many times. it never tells me
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

I searched but couldn't find anything on this. In Mint 10 KDE when I insert an audio cd, the device
notification gives me one choice which is play cd with amarok. I have vlc, bangarang and kplayer installed but none of them are listed in the notification area. With every KDE version I've had before, new players were automatically added.
Amarok is the worst possible choice for playing a cd. Can anyone tell me how to fix it?
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

colyn wrote:
dante19992 wrote: 3 gb DDR ram. and idk my vram. i never figured out how to check T-T
Do a google search on your model and check the specs..
i have 256MB of ram
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

BubbaBlues wrote:I searched but couldn't find anything on this. In Mint 10 KDE when I insert an audio cd, the device
notification gives me one choice which is play cd with amarok. I have vlc, bangarang and kplayer installed but none of them are listed in the notification area. With every KDE version I've had before, new players were automatically added.
Amarok is the worst possible choice for playing a cd. Can anyone tell me how to fix it?
ok here we go. go to system settings. then enter device actions. edit the play audio CD with amarok line to play with what u want it too. there u go. like instead of amarok --cdplay %25f try say vlc --cdplay %25f and see if it works. no garauntees as im just guessing but its work a try right?
Last edited by dante19992 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

colyn wrote:
dante19992 wrote:
colyn wrote: It seems to be slightly more snappy. Otherwise it is pretty much like the RC version..
so it is slightly quicker than the RC version? well i may switch then. i am a speed demon (ironic that my fav DE is the slowest one)
How much ram do you have?

What is your video ram?

I've always found KDE much faster than Gnome. However the others such as LXDE and XFCE are designed for computers with low ram so they will run faster on a machine with more ram..
I've found that "fast" in KDE is a matter of perception and the default settings. For example, when "Desktop effects" are enabled in "System settings", the default for "Animations" is "Normal" (I'm booted into LMDE but I believe "Normal" is the wording) which actually makes KDE to appear a bit sluggish and creates a wrong perception for the user. Setting Animations to "Fast" solves that problem nicely however. Check the specs of my machine in my signature and you'll understand better. I even thought that KDE 4.6 was sluggish until I set Animations to Fast.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

dante19992 wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:I searched but couldn't find anything on this. In Mint 10 KDE when I insert an audio cd, the device
ok here we go. go to system settings. then enter device actions. edit the play audio CD with amarok line to play with what u want it too. there u go. like instead of amarok --cdplay %25f try say vls --cdplay %25f and see if it works. no garauntees as im just guessing but its work a try right?
That's what I thought too, but I tried that and still amarok is listed but nothing else. Now I've uninstalled amarok
just to see if it would make a difference. It made a difference alright. Now even though bangarang is at the top of the list
in system settings / device actions, the device notifier shows nothing. It says no devices available when I have a cd in the
drive. There is clearly a serious problem with device notifications in Mint 10 kde. Makes me wonder how something like
this got approved for release. :roll:
I'll probably just stick with Mint 9 kde. I don't need a system that partially works.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
marco07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marco07 »

Folk:
Just downloaded LM 10 KDE, my first try of mint KDE. I have a couple of questions before proceeding with the installation.
Does it come with Grub2?
Would it be possible to install the grub on root partition and boot it with chain loader from the grub already in the MBR?
Thanks in advance!
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Yes it's grub 2 and yes you can install it on the partition and keep the one on the mbr, although I don't know why
anyone would do that when grub 2 will list all of you OS's and give you the choice of which one boots, and it's a lot easier to use than the legacy grub.
Mark Twain
marco07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marco07 »

BubbaBlues wrote:Yes it's grub 2 and yes you can install it on the partition and keep the one on the mbr, although I don't know why
anyone would do that when grub 2 will list all of you OS's and give you the choice of which one boots, and it's a lot easier to use than the legacy grub.
Thank You!
One is always somewhat apprehensive witt the initial trial. That is why i asked. I do not want to mess up with my already installed OSes.
BTW, if I install the grub on the root partition, would I have any problem with updating the OS?
thanks again!
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

No, updates shouldn't have any effect on it. And if you have trouble with legacy grub finding the new OS, you can always install grub 2 on the mbr later.
Mark Twain
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

marco07 wrote:Folk:
Just downloaded LM 10 KDE, my first try of mint KDE. I have a couple of questions before proceeding with the installation.
Does it come with Grub2?
Would it be possible to install the grub on root partition and boot it with chain loader from the grub already in the MBR?
Thanks in advance!
One thing you need to keep in mind is that if you update the kernel to the OS where the grub is installed into it's root partition and not in the MBR then you need to update the grub in the MBR. So say you've installed LM 10 KDE into another partition and installed it's grub into LM 10 KDE's root partition. Once installation is complete you'll have to boot into the OS that has the grub in the MBR first and in the terminal run:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
(or grub2 as the case may be)

This will update the grub in the MBR and LM 10 KDE will be added to your (MBR grub) boot loader screen. Otherwise you can reboot all you want and LM 10 KDE will never show up. This also goes anytime you patch KDE's kernel with a video driver for example or if you install a second kernel. Basically anything that significantly changes the kernel of the OS you're chain loading to (where grub is installed in the root partition and not the MBR) the grub in the MBR needs to be updated in order for it to re-recognize those kernels or an additional kernel you've installed.

In my case for example I have LM 10 in one partition and it's grub2 is the one in the MBR. I also have LM 10 KDE in another partition and LMDE in yet another. Both of these OSs have their respective grubs installed in their respective roots. Any change I make to either of these kernels I need to boot into LM 10 in order to update the grub2 in the MBR before rebooting into the OS I updated.

The beauty of double/triple booting. Sounds confusing in writing but it's actually fairly simple in practice.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

kmb42vt wrote:
I've found that "fast" in KDE is a matter of perception and the default settings. For example, when "Desktop effects" are enabled in "System settings", the default for "Animations" is "Normal" (I'm booted into LMDE but I believe "Normal" is the wording) which actually makes KDE to appear a bit sluggish and creates a wrong perception for the user. Setting Animations to "Fast" solves that problem nicely however. Check the specs of my machine in my signature and you'll understand better. I even thought that KDE 4.6 was sluggish until I set Animations to Fast.
when i talk about speed i refer instead to the amount of processor i use how many programs i can run at a time without sever lag and things like this.
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

i have sumtin else to report. i find tht lm10 KDE is actually running GTK apps faster than main!!!
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

dante19992 wrote:i have sumtin else to report. i find tht lm10 KDE is actually running GTK apps faster than main!!!
sumtin is spelt this way ==> something

slang talk is killing me.... :mrgreen:
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

well forgive me for liking to abbreviate my words when in a non-formal setting where how I type has no bearing on ANYTHING whatsoever.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

After running Mint 10 KDE from a USB for the last few weeks I finally installed it on my main PC.

Running from a USB it worked really well and now installed is even better. I just need to do a bit of customisation, add some key programs and a nice theme and it'll be sorted :)
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

will the next release, lm11 kde, will it be based on the new 2.6.38 kernel. there seems to be a tweaked .38 and some one reported in using it on lm10 kde 64

http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2011 ... l#comments

im unable to d/l as im on a remote site, but i think if we could implement tweaked kernels then i feel that lm will be more appealing to try out.

has anyone used the mentioned kernel?
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT

Return to “KDE”