Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Azrael
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 am

Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by Azrael »

I've been reading recently about a ~200 line patch that significantly speeds up linux:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ideo&num=1

What I'm wondering is: how people feel about this being incorporated into linux mint KDE 10? It hasn't been released yet so it may be an option. Since KDE can be a bit more sluggish than gnome this could be useful for this edition particularly.

There's also a simpler method to get the same effect that can be performed by the user as a second option. Some people apparently thinks this might even work better:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternat ... patch.html

-Azrael
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by cpatrick08 »

Azrael wrote:I've been reading recently about a ~200 line patch that significantly speeds up linux:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ideo&num=1

What I'm wondering is: how people feel about this being incorporated into linux mint KDE 10? It hasn't been released yet so it may be an option. Since KDE can be a bit more sluggish than gnome this could be useful for this edition particularly.

There's also a simpler method to get the same effect that can be performed by the user as a second option. Some people apparently thinks this might even work better:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternat ... patch.html

-Azrael
why not use ksplice http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/download-ubuntu then it updates your kernel lets you know when a kernel update is available and it is free and you don't have to reboot to use it
Azrael
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by Azrael »

cpatrick08 wrote:why not use ksplice http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/download-ubuntu then it updates your kernel lets you know when a kernel update is available and it is free and you don't have to reboot to use it
Thanks. Interesting program. I just installed it and updated the kernel. Really couldn't be easier. :)

*I'll have to wait and see if Ksplice improved performance at all. I did try the latter method that I gave in the original post. Things did seem to be running a bit faster.
Elisa

Re: Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by Elisa »

cpatrick08 wrote:why not use ksplice http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/download-ubuntu then it updates your kernel lets you know when a kernel update is available and it is free and you don't have to reboot to use it
I tried to install that deb for lucid ( I use Mint 9 KDE) but got this error :?

(Reading database ... (Reading database ... 5%(Reading database ... 10%(Reading database ... 15%(Reading database ... 20%(Reading database ... 25%(Reading database ... 30%(Reading database ... 35%(Reading database ... 40%(Reading database ... 45%(Reading database ... 50%(Reading database ... 55%(Reading database ... 60%(Reading database ... 65%(Reading database ... 70%(Reading database ... 75%(Reading database ... 80%(Reading database ... 85%(Reading database ... 90%(Reading database ... 95%(Reading database ... 100%(Reading database ... 138654 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ksplice-uptrack (from .../ksplice-uptrack.deb) ...

Uptrack terms of service could not be presented

dpkg: error processing /home/xyz-my-account-xyz/Download_debs_sources/ksplice-uptrack.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/xyz-my-account-xyz/Download_debs_sources/ksplice-uptrack.deb


Thanx for a cooltip.
Elisa

Re: Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by Elisa »

Well, finally I've proceeded but following these instructions here:
http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/manual-installation

Excatly these ones:

Add the sources
deb http://www.ksplice.com/apt lucid ksplice
deb-src http://www.ksplice.com/apt lucid ksplice


Then run the following commands as root:

sudo apt-get install ca-certificates
wget -N https://www.ksplice.com/apt/ksplice-archive.asc
sudo apt-key add ksplice-archive.asc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install uptrack

You will be prompted for your access key.

If you would like Uptrack to automatically install rebootless kernel updates
as they become available, edit /etc/uptrack/uptrack.conf and
set autoinstall = yes

When you are done with your Uptrack configuration, please run the following
command as root to bring your kernel up to date:

sudo uptrack-upgrade -y

Do not forget to ask for the acceskey. Ask for it here (will be send by e-mail): http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/key

Put the key into the conf -> /etc/uptrack/uptrack.conf
and just run the command:

sudo uptrack-upgrade -y
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Patch to speed up linux in KDE 10?

Post by cpatrick08 »

Elisa wrote:Well, finally I've proceeded but following these instructions here:
http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/manual-installation

Excatly these ones:

Add the sources
deb http://www.ksplice.com/apt lucid ksplice
deb-src http://www.ksplice.com/apt lucid ksplice


Then run the following commands as root:

sudo apt-get install ca-certificates
wget -N https://www.ksplice.com/apt/ksplice-archive.asc
sudo apt-key add ksplice-archive.asc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install uptrack

You will be prompted for your access key.

If you would like Uptrack to automatically install rebootless kernel updates
as they become available, edit /etc/uptrack/uptrack.conf and
set autoinstall = yes

When you are done with your Uptrack configuration, please run the following
command as root to bring your kernel up to date:

sudo uptrack-upgrade -y

Do not forget to ask for the acceskey. Ask for it here (will be send by e-mail): http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/key

Put the key into the conf -> /etc/uptrack/uptrack.conf
and just run the command:

sudo uptrack-upgrade -y
didi those instructions work got you
Post Reply

Return to “KDE”