Any plans to combine LMDE with KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
curmudgeon
Level 1
Level 1

Any plans to combine LMDE with KDE?

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:20 am

I have been a fan of Mint ever since I found it. I don't use it (anymore), but I still try to keep up to date on what the devs have been up to. I hate to say it, but the KDE releases based on Kubuntu have been pretty unsatisfactory in my opinion. No, I'm sorry; They flat out suck. (I apologize Boo, I just really feel they don't make the cut). Ubuntu/Kubuntu seem to be running away from the simplistic approach and frankly I don't care for many of the packages included in the default LM KDE install.

I installed Arch with KDE and aside from the initial install and occasionally having to edit a few conf files, i have never been happier with a distribution.

I would like a LMDE install (with KDE as a default) that is as minimalist as possible. Just give me a vanilla KDE, with graphics drivers, codecs and a decent web browser by default. Let me fill in the rest. Providing KDE equivalents to what is included in the GNOME release *may* be acceptable. The homegrown Mint utilities are (obviously) a must.

pacman is kinda cool, but I miss a package manager with a decent GUI. (kpackagemanger sucks, stick with synaptic).

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Any plans to combine LMDE with KDE?

Post by craig10x » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 pm

actually....kpackagekit no longer sucks...it's actually quite excellent as of Kubuntu 10.10 which i am running on my computer (which i think is nicer then previous Kubuntus, so much more polished now and very stable and pretty bug free also)...they made HUGE changes in kpackagekit, it works just about as nice as the mint software manager does...I'm kind of hoping that "boo" (jamie) will work on an LMDE KDE version after he finishes with Mint 10 KDE this month...

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm

curmudgeon, like your avatar -- like your post.

I realize this is a bit stale of a thread, but... ;-)

I intend to post in another thread (or threads) on specific issues I am having but I like Debian, KDE, and Mint in that order. For Mint=Debian, this is over the top! But GNOME on my old laptops stopped being viable about a year or so ago so I switched to KDE (I really tried KDE on a lark but KDE 3.5 is less of a resource hog than Gnome is). Kubuntu & LinuxMint KDE (KDE 4.x) are a bit of a problem but Debian testing w/ KDE 4 runs fine (as did Sidux).

For my old laptops (I have a new one so that will be handled separately) in order to run Mint I have three options: (1) a) Install LMDE, b) install KDE, c) de-Gnome; (2) Install LM KDE CE, de-Ubuntu-ize Mint; (3) Wait for LMDE-KDE.

#3 would obviously be the best "out of box" experience (vague pun intended) and #2 may not even be viable. I have attempted #1 with limited success. I have completed steps 'a' and 'b' but have not fully implemented 'c' to my satisfaction. I went from default Gnome to Xfce (attempted to de-Gnome, but left GTK+) to KDE (attempted further de-Gnome-ing and de-GTK+-ing) but there are many malingering artifacts.

I used text mode for updates and connectivity so while I am delighted these have improved (seriously) it doesn't affect me personally day-to-day (but great for those who use it -- matter of preference).

But the crux of the matter is that while I would greatly enjoy LMDE-KDE, I'm not a Linux programmer so my assistance would be limited at best. So I will tip my hat to Clem, et al. on a fine product and if they happen to get around to a KDE version of LMDE I'll be all over it. But only if the main thrust of their distro philosophy is not compromised. KDE is a preference for me but it is just as important (if not more so) that a multimedia-ready distro be made available to the masses be it based on Ubuntu or on Debian and regardless of desktop environment (Gnome does seem more popular than KDE -- certainly amongst Ubuntu users).

Cheers!
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 pm

hunkirdowne wrote:curmudgeon, like your avatar -- like your post.

(3) ) Wait for LMDE-KDE.

#3 would obviously be the best "out of box" experience (vague pun intended)

But the crux of the matter is that while I would greatly enjoy LMDE-KDE, I'm not a Linux programmer so my assistance would be limited at best. So I will tip my hat to Clem, et al. on a fine product and if they happen to get around to a KDE version of LMDE I'll be all over it. But only if the main thrust of their distro philosophy is not compromised. KDE is a preference for me but it is just as important (if not more so) that a multimedia-ready distro be made available to the masses be it based on Ubuntu or on Debian and regardless of desktop environment (Gnome does seem more popular than KDE -- certainly amongst Ubuntu users).

Cheers!
It ist good news that people start talking about KDE becoming stable.
For long, (KDE == stable) has been a logical expression that equated to ** FALSE **.
I used to be a hardcore KDE fan -- especially with the underlying QT with such great potential, but KDE 4 (released first 3 years ago) wore me out.
Honestly. I got angry. Quite a few times.

(I have since switched to lightweight desktops such as XFCE,LXDE, even expreimenting with Enlightenment-17)

SO -- in the spirit of the **New KDE Quality**, I second that request of yours, hunkirdowne:
Linux-Mint-Debian-KDE -> 64 bit ! This is it!

But, I honestly think that in the long run, all these distros and variations are too much to maintain for the few Mint hacker folks.
Consider this: For the "Main" edition alone (Mint-10-Gnome, based on Ubuntu 10.10), 8 ( i. W. --eight--) iso images had to be tested: Main-CD, Main-DVD, OEM,US/Japan: Each in 32 and 64-bit

SO - MY SUGGESTION:
One more time, we will see a Mint-KDE Ubuntu based distro (Mint 10, 32bit, 64bit) DVD, no CD edition, soon.
(No CD-issue: If you need KDE, you need a modern machine that has DVD; The OEM stuff and US-stuff will not be released as KDE edition. That is a fair compromise)

..... AND AFTER THAT:

I WILL PLACE THE MOTION ON THE FLOOR ... that KDE ist merged into Linúx-Mint-Debian and stays there forever, happily ever after.
Stable as a Rock.
And never to be replaced or reinstalled ever, as long as the computer and the rolling Mint-Debian installed on it liveth.

BOO, YOU MAY THEN DROP the habit of making semi-annual Mint-KDE releases: More private life and the best possible KDE distro all at the same time for you.

-- olligod

joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am

[quote="olligod"

I WILL PLACE THE MOTION ON THE FLOOR ... that KDE ist merged into Linúx-Mint-Debian and stays there forever, happily ever after.
Stable as a Rock.
And never to be replaced or reinstalled ever, as long as the computer and the rolling Mint-Debian installed on it liveth.

BOO, YOU MAY THEN DROP the habit of making semi-annual Mint-KDE releases: More private life and the best possible KDE distro all at the same time for you.

-- olligod[/quote]

You have MY vote! And hopefully Boo's as well !
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:10 am

hunkirdowne wrote:I have attempted #1 with limited success. I have completed steps 'a' and 'b' but have not fully implemented 'c' to my satisfaction. I went from default Gnome to Xfce (attempted to de-Gnome, but left GTK+) to KDE (attempted further de-Gnome-ing and de-GTK+-ing) but there are many malingering artifacts.
I tried this as well. It was certainly entertaining. Upon logging into KDE for the first time I was greeted with an xterm window in the top left, and the remainder of my screen was covered with fractured regions of my Windows 7 desktop and start menu. No joke! Wallpaper, desktop icons and all! Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. Fortunately I have previously run into problems installing KDE alongside GNOME and just getting an xterm window (without the extra goodies though), and I knew that I simply needed to select KDE as the session type in kdm to get it to load the session properly the first time.

The trick after that is getting rid of GNOME. On Arch it is easy because you just remove the "gnome" and "gnome-extra" packages (with the right pacman flags to remove dependencies as well) and bang, it's all gone. It doesn't seem as simple on LMDE unfortunately, but that's probably a result of the higher modularity of Arch and APT just not being as nice as pacman 8)

Return to “KDE”