Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GNOME VS KDE!!!

Post by sahilshinesalways »

andrew5859 wrote:Hey Ya'll

As someone else had said, to each his own.......everyone has their own preference as to what version (Gnome or KDE) of distro they use.....My suggestion is stop the bickering over what or which is better...yada, yada, yada....to me, it's childish. Every version of distro has its own problems, hangups, and issues....whether it be fast or slow or whatever.....get over it....it's time to grow up and act like adults...if you are one....this is just my opinion...have a great day and Merry Christmas...cheers

Andrew
i do agree but its the sentiment of liking rather den childish choice.sentimets can work as catalyst in making a thing better,more the fans and more the noise better is the enthusism (just like crouds in fifa and cricket) :D
merry christmas to all of u
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

mick55 wrote:
sahilshinesalways wrote:who will ultmately win?
xfce :mrgreen:
Really, I agree. 8)
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Murdock wrote:
mick55 wrote:
sahilshinesalways wrote:who will ultmately win?
xfce :mrgreen:
Really, I agree. 8)
ahhhhhhh,u people are lureing me more and more to try out xfce :-p :mrgreen:
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609

d1684
Level 1
Level 1

Post by d1684 »

"TRANSPARENT,COOL,FUNKY,TEASY,EVOLVING........... KDE"

"STABLE,DISIPLINED,NICE ..........GNOME"

Teasy? LOL! It sounds like you have a "relationship" with Linux most people don't. j/k

I don't think "stable disciplined and nice" exactly describe Gnome. Everything seems to work better with KDE. It's easier and doesn't crash as much. I'm not someone that wants to prove what a computer Geek I am ( because I'm not ) by using something really hard. I just want to read my email, maybe throw another page on my website, buy a book on Amazon, check my bank account, and do regular human stuff.

I'm extremely disappointed to hear Mint has stopped developing KDE and now they're dumping Kubuntu 10.10 on us as a substitute. It always seemed like they treated the KDE version of their product as an ugly kid step sister...ironic since it was the best one. Kubuntu isn't even close to Linux Mint KDE. Think it is? Then why don't you use Ubuntu instead of Mint? Uh huh, that's what I thought.

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

aw datz a bad news,i dnt knw dat.....i admire kde sooooooooooooooow much 4 its look and customizing power.it was my 1st love infact before gnome humbled me by its simplicity and less system heavy.if kde can prove it self being littele more lighter on system,i think no1 can stop me getting back to my 1st love :mrgreen:

i just only hope in terms of getin more powerful it doest make its control fragmented as i feel little bit now,it just stop being windowish

Mintyarrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintyarrow »

It has been my experience that the desktop environment is only as good as the distro that puts it together. Personally I prefer KDE. Having only an Intel video chip on a 2003 Gateway E-series both the newer Ubuntu and Kubuntu do not work on my system they keep booting me out to a terminal because my graphics chip can't handle them. The Xubuntu works perfectly with no problems at all. Karmic Koala all versions work as well. I prefer Linux Mint KDE 9 because I like KDE and Mint has no problems running on my Computer like Kubuntu does. I also prefer KDE because I find the sound and video quality of the QT4 code to be more brilliant than the GTK stuff. All around I would say that Mint is the best and fastest implementation of Kde that my Computer can handle with no bugs or problems that I have seen yet. So I think that what the distro does with the Desktop environment is more important than the Desktop Environment, and to each their own in one big happy Linux family. Right On Mint, My fave!

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

well m not a programer junk...but i hope dat d codecs for x264 and h264 improves as i get permormance loses compared to windows on same hard ware.didnt try out in kde but surely will try out

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

I can't say how Kubuntu 10.10 runs on older computers, but i have a 2 year old Toshiba and been running it for over 2 months now and it is EXCELLENT...
When i viewed the live cd of it, it was the first time i actually WANTED to install Kubuntu on my hard drive...and i think it is every bit as good as Mint KDE, without the specialized mint customizations of course, but in terms of being smooth, polished, stable, attractive, and reliable, it is a winner...

Though they don't put much love into Kubuntu, 10.10 does have some extra love i would say...even KPackagekit (the software manager) which use to be really poor, is now excellent, it has been completely revamped and works great...

This is why i probably won't be bothering to switch over to the new Mint 10 KDE when it comes out...no real reason to...unless you are a big user of the specialized mint tools, i don't really see much advantage to making the switch for myself....

Now if Boo should do a KDE version of Debian Mint after he is done with"10"...well, then i might get tempted to switch back :mrgreen:

PS: I was always a gnome guy and never thought i would like KDE...was very pretty but didn't seem as easy to use as gnome....What won me over was MInt 9 KDE...when i was running it, i finally "fell in love" (lol) with KDE and realized it was not only attractive, but actually not really that much harder to use then gnome at all (as i initially thought)...just took a bit of getting use to...

I was going to wait for Mint 10 KDE but got tired of waiting, checked out Kubuntu 10.10 and have been running it ever since...

The Mage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Mage »

monkeyboy wrote: What is your criteria for winning? If its elimination of the opposition then that will never likely to occur. If it is market share then the race is already over. Selection of a DE is about an individuals preference as much as it is about the DEs in question.
Arguably one of the most intelligent responses I've seen in a GNOME VS KDE thread for a long time.

Nevertheless the 'debate' will continue in countless forums ad nauseum.

krauser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krauser »

The 1st Mint which I installed on my computer was based on KDE (Isadora). I was amazed with it, but since I started having problems with the network programs, I did a switch to GNOME. I found more stability in GNOME than KDE, and "Julia" is the one who got me.

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

sahilshinesalways wrote:TRANSPARENT,COOL,FUNKY,TEASY,EVOLVING........... KDE

STABLE,DISIPLINED,NICE ..........GNOME

who will ultmately win?

or there will be murge in future?so gde or knome coming??? :D
Mall Ninjas like KDE and shoes with LED lights in the soles. :lol:
Real men use Gnome. :wink:
Athletes use XFCE. 8)
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

I personally like the KDE of mint, just because I like the widgets to see how everything is running. Now it depends greatly on what type of machine your running and which runs best on whatever machine. I have found that certain PC's/laptops do better with Gnome than with KDE....newer PC's tend to balk at KDE and do better with Gnome.
Older PC's & laptops can do good on either version, but it would be up to the individual to determine what's best, they both have their own elegance and style and are equally great distro's. As far as Kubuntu is concerned, I personally don't care for it that much, it's too barren and if you want to do any sprucing up, you have to download the things/apps to get it where you want it......it doesn't have the wide selection of desktop backgrounds or screensavers like the others have and therefore, is too plain. Just my thoughts.....cheers

Andrew

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Oh, no, not another 'Desktops contest' topic... It does absolutely nothing, each in his own opinion, and plus it encourages often some 'aggression' between fans of different desktops... There are already many threads on the net and in this forum with the same result: nothing, zero. :(

Please, stop with these sterile and useless debates. thanks. :)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

caskale13c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caskale13c »

linuxviolin wrote:Oh, no, not another 'Desktops contest' topic... It does absolutely nothing, each in his own opinion, and plus it encourages often some 'aggression' between fans of different desktops... There are already many threads on the net and in this forum with the same result: nothing, zero. :(

Please, stop with these sterile and useless debates. thanks. :)
Alas, I beg to differ. Just because there is no final "Correct answer" does not mean that the debate is not healthy. From it will come many useful ideas that will inevitably be incorporated into both environs.

cheers
cheers,
troy

pythagorean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pythagorean »

In the future we will all be using smartphones or tablet devices and the computer desktop as we know it will be irrelevant because the personal computer will be irrelevant. So neither one will matter very much.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

caskale13c wrote:Alas, I beg to differ.
:lol: Of course you can differ! :P
caskale13c wrote:Just because there is no final "Correct answer" does not mean that the debate is not healthy. From it will come many useful ideas that will inevitably be incorporated into both environs.
You think really that? Well, er, personally, with GNOME 3 and KDE 4 they screw the desktop. They kill it and I hate both. And I hate also Unity. So currently, after using the best desktop available, for me, i.e. GNOME 2 with its default setup with dual panel and classic menu, I had to move to XFCE, although I'm not madly in love with it. :? :(
pythagorean wrote:In the future we will all be using smartphones or tablet devices and the computer desktop as we know it will be irrelevant because the personal computer will be irrelevant. So neither one will matter very much.
Oh my God! No, not this! :( :evil: But unfortunately, this may actually happen one day... A sad, unfortunate and killer day :( :cry:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

linuxviolin wrote: Please, stop with these sterile and useless debates. thanks. :)
I never consider debate useless. As long as it stays civil it can be a lot of fun even though we may disagree.

It only becomes useless when the other party takes a superior attitude that he/she is right and all others are wrong or when one becomes vulgar and resorts to name calling..

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

colyn wrote:I never consider debate useless. As long as it stays civil it can be a lot of fun even though we may disagree.

It only becomes useless when the other party takes a superior attitude that he/she is right and all others are wrong or when one becomes vulgar and resorts to name calling..
Yes of course. :wink: But these desktops debates are endless and sterile as each has right, at least for him/her etc etc etc. It's endless, sterile and tiring in the long course. It's always the same thing(s), again and again... That does not make much sense, except to spend time with friends... or enemies. lol :lol: :mrgreen:

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

colyn wrote:It only becomes useless when the other party takes a superior attitude that he/she is right and all others are wrong or when one becomes vulgar and resorts to name calling..
That's a very well thought out and mature response, and I agree completely.

mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

mick55 wrote:
colyn wrote:It only becomes useless when the other party takes a superior attitude that he/she is right and all others are wrong or when one becomes vulgar and resorts to name calling..
That's a very well thought out and mature response, and I agree completely.

mick
+1
simple, short and sharp

Return to “KDE”