GNOME VS KDE!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sahilshinesalways

GNOME VS KDE!!!

Post by sahilshinesalways »

TRANSPARENT,COOL,FUNKY,TEASY,EVOLVING........... KDE

STABLE,DISIPLINED,NICE ..........GNOME

who will ultmately win?

or there will be murge in future?so gde or knome coming??? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: GNOME VS KDE!!!

Post by mick55 »

sahilshinesalways wrote:who will ultmately win?
xfce :mrgreen:
colyn

Post by colyn »

I don't know where you get the notion that Gnome is stable since they won't fix known graphics issues. These issues don't exist in KDE.
alexsaw

Post by alexsaw »

bash :D :D :D. Without jokes..... IT`s depends from you. If like many transperent effects and so easy configuration "from box", take KDE, but if you like elegant minimalisn and like..pick a style under you, take a GNOME;)
sahilshinesalways

colyn wrote:I don't know where you get the notion that Gnome is stable since they won't fix known graphics issues. These issues don't exist in KDE.
i agree on that,there are some issues,gnome taking a little edge cause it didnt face any disester like kde 4.0....
sahilshinesalways

mick55 wrote:
mmm didnt tryout xfce... :)
rekik

Post by rekik »

mick55 wrote:
+1 000 000 :mrgreen:
sahilshinesalways

and gnome 3? what will be its impact?
deleted

Post by deleted »

As long as there are choices, it really doesn't matter. It's like less filling, tastes great; emacs vs. vi. Come to think of it it's the 21st century, why are we still typing into computers? Shatner predicted that we should be talking to them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Willia ... _the_World
-Hinto
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

sahilshinesalways wrote:TRANSPARENT,COOL,FUNKY,TEASY,EVOLVING........... KDE

who will ultmately win?

What is your criteria for winning? If its elimination of the opposition then that will never likely to occur. If it is market share then the race is already over. Selection of a DE is about an individuals preference as much as it is about the DEs in question.
sahilshinesalways

monkeyboy wrote:
sahilshinesalways wrote:TRANSPARENT,COOL,FUNKY,TEASY,EVOLVING........... KDE

who will ultmately win?

What is your criteria for winning? If its elimination of the opposition then that will never likely to occur. If it is market share then the race is already over. Selection of a DE is about an individuals preference as much as it is about the DEs in question.
Parameters...mmm wat about
1>time difference between sucessive rate of sucess(TDSS)
2>number of new user approching per month(NNUAM)
:mrgreen:
olligod

Post by olligod »

The 100000001st GNOME vs KDE thread on the Web.
But for now, people are generally respectful - I 've seen otherwise elsewhere!

That's a good sign - it shows that the Mint Community is one of good mannered people :mrgreen:

Or should I just throw a bit more flame bait:
Hey ya Gnome users 'tis SOOO outdated and Gnome always tells me what the setup is to be (not many Options to tweak compared to KDE)
Hey ya KDE users 'tis SOOO complicated to configure and it is bloated and unstable and the major distros except Suse prefer Gnome right now.
Hey ya lightweight Desktop users (LXDE,XFCE,fluxbox et al.) What's this? It is feature "heavy" like Win95 and so is SOOO NINETIES!

So....What about?
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

olligod wrote:. . . Or should I just throw a bit more flame bait:
Pull out pin, throw, and walk away . . . Image . . oooops . . . Image . . double oops

Image . . . oh dear!

KDE for me !!
sahilshinesalways

olligod wrote:The 100000001st GNOME vs KDE thread on the Web.
But for now, people are generally respectful - I 've seen otherwise elsewhere!

That's a good sign - it shows that the Mint Community is one of good mannered people :mrgreen:

Or should I just throw a bit more flame bait:
Hey ya Gnome users 'tis SOOO outdated and Gnome always tells me what the setup is to be (not many Options to tweak compared to KDE)
Hey ya KDE users 'tis SOOO complicated to configure and it is bloated and unstable and the major distros except Suse prefer Gnome right now.
Hey ya lightweight Desktop users (LXDE,XFCE,fluxbox et al.) What's this? It is feature "heavy" like Win95 and so is SOOO NINETIES!

So....What about?
:lol: :lol:
for kde i still love kde 3.5....
kde 4 series somewer or other i found either confusing or problematic
Rich.Carpenter

Post by Rich.Carpenter »

The KDE 4 haters tend to make it a sort of holy war. It's really all about preference. Luckily, we have a choice between 3.5 and 4.0.

As for me (in case it wasn't apparent), I've chosen KDE at this point, as Qt seems (at least from my very limited experience) to support cross-platform development better. Not entirely sure how the licensing differs.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Well, I would prefer that both keep on developing in a type of competition with each other: being that they could be considered the main Linux desktops available for most distributions..

Their interchange and cooperation, plus there erstwhile competition makes for a better desktop experience for all
--and yes they can interoperate

For the moment, I have settled with Lxde, despite its lack of a menu editor
--well text files and text templates aren't that bad, it's like doing batch file setups a la DOS of old
  • Doing it enough times, makes it memorable (remembered) and almost automatic: in fact almost as easy as a GUI point & shoot operation, but a bit more interesting as you have to think a little, sometimes while you tap out the commands
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

DrHu wrote:Well, I would prefer that both keep on developing in a type of competition with each other: being that they could be considered the main Linux desktops available for most distributions..

Their interchange and cooperation, plus there erstwhile competition makes for a better desktop experience for all
--and yes they can interoperate
+1
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sahilshinesalways

hmm installed kde as kubuntu dsektop 4m synaptic,choosed kdm as default manger.no problem till here
but kde is getting way slow den it is,+ logging out of gnome desktop gives some display error,half of my screen becomes zaggy and now docky reports compositing is off on both gnome and kde....
no problem in terms of speed in gnome but ya start up is bit buggy

cant i have the best of both world?
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Ya'll

As someone else had said, to each his own.......everyone has their own preference as to what version (Gnome or KDE) of distro they use.....My suggestion is stop the bickering over what or which is better...yada, yada, yada....to me, it's childish. Every version of distro has its own problems, hangups, and issues....whether it be fast or slow or whatever.....get over it....it's time to grow up and act like adults...if you are one....this is just my opinion...have a great day and Merry Christmas...cheers

Andrew
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

Well nvidia install issues have put me of kde, forever. It isn't rocket science to know that people are going to want to use drivers other than what ships with the install.
Went through all the blurb here , decided it wasn't worth the trouble if I couldnt even install the drivers that are recommended. Whats up with that, ok lets ship it anyway?

Return to “Software & Applications”