SOLVED - Nvidia driver install instructions?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Special Ed

SOLVED - Nvidia driver install instructions?

Post by Special Ed »

In the spirit of Christmas, can someone PLEASE give me detailed instructions on how to install the nvidia drivers? I have poured over the forums and googled, followed every link I could find with info and instructions and reinstalled due to x failing more than once. LOL I have dabbled in linux over the years but since comin back to linux after a foray to Win7, there seems to be a wrench called nouveau that doesnt seem to enjoy the nvidia drivers. I did find info on how to disable/blacklist them but that didnt seem to disable nouveau. I tried mint 10 and the auto nvidia install worked on that but I've never been a fan of Gnome.

I am running mint kde 9 on a:

Alienware m17x r1 laptop.
dual 9800m gts

Thanks!

Ed

Oh, and of this belongs on another forum category, please feel free to redirect me. LOL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: Nvidia driver install instructions?

Post by mick55 »

You will probably require kernel headers/source and/or build essential.

Install them with this command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential linux-source
Download your driver from Nvidia's website.

Open a virtual console by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1.

Then run this command in the console.

sudo service kdm stop
Navigate to the directory containing your Nvidia driver and install it.
(Use the real name of the driver)

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-xxxxxxxxxx.run
(You may get a warning regarding gcc version. It is safe to ignore it.)

When you are finished reboot.

mick
Special Ed

Post by Special Ed »

Heya Mick!

I've tried that and I get an error about nouveax. The nvidia installer tries to kill it or whatever but fails. :(

Ed

Ok, I got it working following this posting..that I didn't catch before. LOL
VgForce

Re: SOLVED - Nvidia driver install instructions?

Post by VgForce »

hi there, i have same problem, been trying to find an exact instruction for a while, can i use the same instruction on mint debian 10????
mick55

Re: SOLVED - Nvidia driver install instructions?

Post by mick55 »

VgForce wrote:hi there, i have same problem, been trying to find an exact instruction for a while, can i use the same instruction on mint debian 10????
Yes, except for one command.

These instructions were for a system using the KDE DE and Mint LMDE uses Gnome DE.
So instead of using this command

sudo service kdm stop
Use this command.

sudo service gdm stop

mick
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

Special Ed wrote:Heya Mick!

I've tried that and I get an error about nouveax. The nvidia installer tries to kill it or whatever but fails. :(

Ed

Ok, I got it working following this posting..that I didn't catch before. LOL
need to blacklist the nouveau driver.(etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)? For the life of me i dont understand why thats even there, most people installing linux are going to want decent hardware acceleration, thats the one pain in the ass with mint, each distro is picky about how its done.
You do have to remove the nouveau driver, then it makes more sense to boot to recovery, login as root, then telinit 3, installer complains if you install in runlevel 1.
frankly its a pain in the ass to stop the gdm everytime, much easier if you dont start it.

Return to “Software & Applications”