Question for Boo

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kage

Question for Boo

Post by kage »

Boo,

At first, thnx for all the work you do for this magnificent KDE distro.
I am a full time private AND work user of MINT KDE.

Especially for my work machines it would be very handy tot have a "rolling" distro.

Is there any chance in the future you will be producing a Debian KDE version?

If not, no hard feelings.

If yes, Ill hang your photograph above the dining table!

Greetz
kage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Question for Boo

Post by Boo »

The decision by the devs was for the non-main editions to either base off Ubuntu or Debian, mainly due to time constraints.
So my current plan is to at some time build all the mint (Ubuntu) KDE packages as Debian packages.
so hopefully this will allow people to install LMDE and then convert it to a KDE DE via packages.

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
kage

Post by kage »

Hi Boo,

Thnx for your prompt reply!
I understand the time constraint.
Your answer is very clear
And if it works on the LMDE edition it would be great!
Untill then 9 and the ones to come will do fine!

Pop!
(That's the sound of a very nice Grolsch beer!)

kage
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Boo wrote:The decision by the devs was for the non-main editions to either base off Ubuntu or Debian, mainly due to time constraints.
So my current plan is to at some time build all the mint (Ubuntu) KDE packages as Debian packages.
so hopefully this will allow people to install LMDE and then convert it to a KDE DE via packages.

Cheers
Jamie
Much more practical using LMDE as a base! (for all of us). I use it for work also as well as home, and look forward to it.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Very interesting that you will be packaging KDE packages for LMDE. Maybe a minimal install CD would be a good idea once all the KDE packages are ready. During install the user could be asked which desktop they would like and it would install the packages for either the Gnome or KDE desktop.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Boo wrote:So my current plan is to at some time build all the mint (Ubuntu) KDE packages as Debian packages.
Boo, if this is given a go-ahead, can you predict an ETA?

I'm still using M8KDE and need a newer version to download some newer apps and I really need to get a bigger HDD soon and really hoping for a rolling KDE distro so I don't have to do anymore fresh installs for quite awhile. I started looks at other rolling Distros, like Debian, aptosid, Sabayon, Chakra, etc, but Mint has been my favorite and would really hate to leave the family.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Another reason why I'd really like to see a LMDE KDE soon is regular KDE is becoming too slow on my laptop and I've been contemplating switching to a lighter weight desktop. LMDE users are saying it runs faster than regular Mint and along with the new faster Linux kernel, I'm curious if a LMDE KDE would be fast enough for me.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

mintnoob wrote:
Boo wrote:So my current plan is to at some time build all the mint (Ubuntu) KDE packages as Debian packages.
Boo, if this is given a go-ahead, can you predict an ETA?
Boo, I just ordered a new hard drive for my laptop and it's on its way. I'd love Mint KDE packages for the Debian edition to be a reality!!!
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Boo wrote:The decision by the devs was for the non-main editions to either base off Ubuntu or Debian, mainly due to time constraints.
I think * I * - > personally < - would like to see a separate version...

I know your WAY UNDERSTAFFED... so what do YOU NEED to get the peeps you need to get this to have KMint and KDebMint? ? ?

I think theres plenty of pent up supply for assistance here.....
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Just received my new laptop hard drive. Not sure which KDE distro to put on it. =(
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Don't wait for the Debian KDE packages....
The Final Mint KDE is in testing, we had a few usability bugs.
Defaults: swapped lanelot for kickoff, mint* updates, only 1 virtual desktop.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

Why "only 1 virtual desktop."? It's one of the best Linux features imho.

While the site was being moved to another server, I went and tried a certain competitors offering which had 6 virtual desktops. Each one set up for different types of use (Office, Games, Multimedia etc.)

New server seems just as slow, but maybe because it's in high demand after its downtime.

Edit: Just had a thought; if the "bug" with virtual desktops was the default 'scroll wheel switches desktops' it can be switched off in Desktop Settings (right click anywhere on the desktop) - Mouse Actions and click the minus sign on the 'Vertical Scroll' line. Seems an odd place to put the setting. Took me ages to find it...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

1 virtual desktop is due to a bug where when you are scrolling down a page in some app, the desktop rotates to other virtual desktops.
It is like the app has lost focus to the desktop so you are no longer scrolling a page but desktops.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

Yes, I saw that bug in a VM I made. I switched off scroll wheel switching, as I mentioned in the edit of my previous post, and added a Pager widget to the desktop. It's not a solution, but works for me.

I just ran the VM again and put the setting back to how it was, but the bug didn't come back. Must be intermittent. Oh well.

Return to “Software & Applications”