LM 10 KDE RC – First Impressions

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM 10 KDE RC – First Impressions

Post by colyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

I've been running Mint 10 KDE RC for a day now. Install went fine as did updates. Seems faster than Mint 9 and is rock solid.

My only issue thus far is Firefox is acting a bit squirrelly. When scrolling through the forum some of the categories will overlap and sometimes when typing username/password to log into forums it will lag a bit behind before catching up. Other than those issues I am happy with the new distro..

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm

colyn wrote:I've been running Mint 10 KDE RC for a day now. Install went fine as did updates. Seems faster than Mint 9 and is rock solid.

My only issue thus far is Firefox is acting a bit squirrelly. When scrolling through the forum some of the categories will overlap and sometimes when typing username/password to log into forums it will lag a bit behind before catching up. Other than those issues I am happy with the new distro..

+1, when I surf, I also observe some overlap

Darkelve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkelve » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 am

Why is it called "Linux Mint 10 KDE RC"?

Does that mean there will be a 'final' release of Linux Mint 10 KDE?

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 am

Darkelve wrote:Why is it called "Linux Mint 10 KDE RC"?

Does that mean there will be a 'final' release of Linux Mint 10 KDE?
Yes. As usual with Mint release candidates, just apply all the updates as they come in and you will end up having the final release already installed. :wink:
KDE Neon

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:38 am

As I stated last night Firefox has a few issues. That post is quoted below.
I've been running Mint 10 KDE RC for a day now. Install went fine as did updates. Seems faster than Mint 9 and is rock solid.

It is very laggy and pages don't alway change unless I bump the scroll bar.

I tried to duplicate these issues in Konqueror without success so this morning I installed Opera and tried the same with it. Konqueror and Opera both work fine but Firefox continues to experience the above issues..

Anybody have any suggestions? I prefer Firefox but need a properly working browser.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 am

colyn wrote:As I stated last night Firefox has a few issues. That post is quoted below.

I tried to duplicate these issues in Konqueror without success so this morning I installed Opera and tried the same with it. Konqueror and Opera both work fine but Firefox continues to experience the above issues..

Anybody have any suggestions? I prefer Firefox but need a properly working browser.
I'm not seeing a problem with Firefox at all but then again I drag my backup Firefox profile around with me to whatever distro I'm testing. So I created a test profile so that everything was fresh and I still don't see the problem you folks are having. I'm running the 64 bit version of LM 10 KDE RC by the way so the problem may be with the 32 bit version only? Just a bit of friendly advice, when you're reporting a problem you're seeing please include which version of the OS you're using along with some basic computer specs (if they're not included in your signature) and any proprietary video drivers you might have installed (or the open source video driver if that's what you use). :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 am

kmb42vt wrote:
colyn wrote:As I stated last night Firefox has a few issues. That post is quoted below.

Just a bit of friendly advice, when you're reporting a problem you're seeing please include which version of the OS you're using along with some basic computer specs (if they're not included in your signature) and any proprietary video drivers you might have installed (or the open source video driver if that's what you use). :)
I appreciate any help I can get but as stated above the OS and computer is working fine with no issues. Just Firefox has a problem. Therefore I don't believe any of that information would be helpful nor do I believe it is the problem otherwise I would have given it. But....OS: a no brainer here. Video drivers: if this was the problem then I would be having other problems but to answer your question, no proprietary drivers are being used. I'm using 32 bit and have heard from another user who is having the same issue with 64 bit..

Before wiping the drive and installing Mint 10 KDE RC this computer was running Mint 9 KDE with no problems whatsoever so drivers etc are not the issue..

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 pm

colyn wrote:I appreciate any help I can get but as stated above the OS and computer is working fine with no issues. Just Firefox has a problem. Therefore I don't believe any of that information would be helpful nor do I believe it is the problem otherwise I would have given it. But....OS: a no brainer here. Video drivers: if this was the problem then I would be having other problems but to answer your question, no proprietary drivers are being used. I'm using 32 bit and have heard from another user who is having the same issue with 64 bit..

Before wiping the drive and installing Mint 10 KDE RC this computer was running Mint 9 KDE with no problems whatsoever so drivers etc are not the issue..
Sorry I couldn't help. Can't quite figure why I'm not seeing the problem then and you are. Hopefully others will pipe up if they see the same problem and a pattern might form.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

alexsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexsaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:20 pm

I dowdload LMKDE 10 RC. When I try mount iso in deamon tools, I get an error - "Application not found"(Sorry, tranlate from Russsian), and when I open the iso ..... I can`t find mint4win.exe !!! I was downloaded iso again from mirror, and again have this error!! Help pls!!

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:42 pm

alexsaw wrote:I dowdload LMKDE 10 RC. When I try mount iso in deamon tools, I get an error - "Application not found"(Sorry, tranlate from Russsian), and when I open the iso ..... I can`t find mint4win.exe !!! I was downloaded iso again from mirror, and again have this error!! Help pls!!
No mint4win

You will need to use either in a LIVE DVD mode or install to USB or HD.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

avasili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avasili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 am

Hi colyn,

I had the same issue u mentioned. My laptop has an intel graphic card. I solved this issue by installing the latest xorg-edgers. So I suppose it was a video driver issue. Another thing that worked, but which make me loose wobbly windows, was switching from opengl to xrender at graphic manager.
Hope one of these will work for you.

Beni

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Very nice thank you.

Glad to see the never ending fsck at boot time is fixed and the kernel is new enough to do 'discard'. The very long standing bug which causes some settings to revert to defaults (auto login particularly) still exists, but that's a KDE problem I guess.

Was able to use the "recommended" Nvidia driver, but all fonts were huge afterwards. Easily fixed by setting 'Force Fonts DPI' to 96. Then; all fonts looked thin and blotchy, which I fixed by setting System Settings - Application Appearance - Fonts - Enable 'Use anti-aliasing', 'Use sub-pixel rendering' set to RGB and 'Hinting style' set to Slight. Had to do that on LM9 KDE too iirc.

It surprises me that KDE Games aren't included with the distribution. Plenty of room on the DVD I would have thought, but I was even more surprised to find there is now only one (not very nice) card pack included with KDE patience. I haven't downloaded any of the three available, as none of them looked like the one I used in LM9.

The LCD Weather widget set up my location to use a different provider, which didn't work. Had to get the setting from my old install of 9 and paste it in. It is now using 'bbcukmet' and working fine.

I have a system monitor widget in the top left corner of the desktop and it quite frequently has moved on the next boot, even though I always leave them 'Locked'.

Generally, I get the impression it's a little slower than 9. The little box which fades in the disk drive - tools - world etc. icons seems a little jerky compared to how it looked on 9 and I often see a small ugly bouncing icon for a second or two after the desktop is shown, for a few seconds. Never saw that on 9. I still have my previous install on an identical partition. I'll compare the boot up times with a stop watch in a bit.

Lastly a question: is it possible to copy from the old LM9 install to the new, things like KDE Games scores (I'm on a winning streak of well over 1,000 on FreeCell :)) and Kate sessions particularly.

Thanks for reading, but thanks a million for a very fine distro indeed.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:11 pm

avasili wrote:

Hi colyn,

I had the same issue u mentioned. My laptop has an intel graphic card. I solved this issue by installing the latest xorg-edgers. So I suppose it was a video driver issue. Another thing that worked, but which make me loose wobbly windows, was switching from opengl to xrender at graphic manager.
Hope one of these will work for you.

Beni
I do believe you are on to the fix. I had already tried xorg-edgers since I am using the Intel chipset but it did not fix the issue. I just tried switching from opengl to xrender and so far Firefox has been working fine with no lagging.

I'm going to play with it a bit more before declaring it fixed.

Thanks for the tip...

Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gnarly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:36 pm

I installed Gpodder and when trying to download it give an Unhandled exception error. "Icon 'gtk-dialog-question' not present in theme. So is there missing icons in the theme used with this release or is this a Gpodder issue?

vu2ikl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vu2ikl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 am

Hi ther,
i am...nah.. was a kubuntu user. though i was happy with kubuntu. i did not like that i have to download all the codecs to make it usable for playing media.
installed mint. and loved that it played everything out of the box :) but i like kde more.

linux mint KDE 10 RC i386:
awesome distro.
manually selected the partition to install LMKDE. no trouble. installed the updates.
the best part was.. it already has all the softwares which i usually install in kubuntu. thunderbird, digikam, yakuake etc :)

so far.. not a single problem in running.

thanks to all the LMKDE developers and testers especially boo and clem!
asus A52N, amd vision, 802.11
Triboot: Ubuntu natty, Kubuntu 10.10, LM 10

Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:25 am

I am very disappointed in the install part of LM10, i at the moment, i have a very slow Internet connection due to the fact that,i used my quota for the month, so i am on a shaped speed, so because of that it took LM10 4 hours and 8 minutes to install.

What took so long is the fact that it auto downloads the language pack and the software packages.

There is no option to stop these downloads while installing, yes there is a little rectangular box with an x inside it with blue colour around said box at the end of the install indicator, but clicking and clicking that little x made no differenced what's so ever it just kept downloading the language packs and the packages.

OK, i put up with it because i will get my broadband speeds back tomorrow, but hey think of all the people on dialup, i am sure that this matter will turn them off completely from using LM10.

In past LM installs you had the option to cancel them downloads, to me this is a backwards step if not fixed.

avasili
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avasili » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 am

Chuckie wrote:I am very disappointed in the install part of LM10, i at the moment, i have a very slow Internet connection due to the fact that,i used my quota for the month, so i am on a shaped speed, so because of that it took LM10 4 hours and 8 minutes to install.

What took so long is the fact that it auto downloads the language pack and the software packages.

There is no option to stop these downloads while installing, yes there is a little rectangular box with an x inside it with blue colour around said box at the end of the install indicator, but clicking and clicking that little x made no differenced what's so ever it just kept downloading the language packs and the packages.

OK, i put up with it because i will get my broadband speeds back tomorrow, but hey think of all the people on dialup, i am sure that this matter will turn them off completely from using LM10.

In past LM installs you had the option to cancel them downloads, to me this is a backwards step if not fixed.
Hey, maybe you thought about it, but what about disconnecting the Internet at install, than do the updates when it's comfortable to you? :D

SciFiDude79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SciFiDude79 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm new to the forums but not new to Linux Mint (at least, not compared to some. ;)) I've been using Linux Mint since version 9 came out and, for a spell, I was using Mint 9 KDE as my primary desktop. I moved around to different operating systems for a while but I decided to come back to good ol' Mint for Mint 10 KDE and I'm liking it. I installed the 64-bit RC the day it was released and have been using it almost exclusively since then. There are a couple issues, I'll mention those below, but the good things about this release outweigh the issues by a lot.

Current issues:

1. As was mentioned in the release notes, VLC is slow to open files (continental drift slow, but it eventually does it.) However, it opens discs quickly. VirtualBox has the same kind of lag when running the Virtual Media Manager and I click the "Add" button.

2. Gnome MPlayer didn't work for me. It started, then I tried to open a file and it crashed and didn't open again. So, I removed that front-end and replaced it with SMPlayer and it works great. (I like SMPlayer better anyway)

3. The desktop effects were running a bit rough on my system, I'd get random lags and other things. However, I turned off the direct rendering and it's running smoothly now.

Those are the cons that I've noticed so far. Nothing major, I love VLC but I just use SMPlayer if I want to open any media not on a disc. The pros are too numerous to list. I love the Lancelot launcher menu, in fact I've even switched to that in my PCLinuxOS install. The OS is blazing fast on my machine and I'm really impressed with the performance, except for the few minor issues I mentioned above.

What I'm running it on:

System: Host chris-desktop Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 KDE
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron E3300 (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips 10000.2
Clock Speeds: (1) 1203.00 MHz (2) 1203.00 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1600x900@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 9500 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet driver ATL1E at port dc00 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 1320.3GB (7.7% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HD103SJ 1000.2GB
2: /dev/sdb Hitachi_HDT72503 320.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 122G used: 9.0G (8%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 184G used: 2.4G (2%) fs: ext4
ID:swap-1 size: 4.20GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0C mobo: 26.0C gpu: 0.0:34C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1928 sys-1: 0
Info: Processes 149 Uptime 1:12 Memory 791.1/3961.8MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell

Anywho, just thought I'd stop lurking and pop in and say "Hi" and how much I'm loving Mint 10 KDE so far. :D

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:54 pm

tdockery97 wrote:I initially was going to replace the Lancelot Launcher with the kickoff menu, but when I tried that the kickoff menu went to the right end of the panel and of course didn't have the Mint logo. This led to much playing with the panel, ultimately resulting in having to reinstall to get everything back to normal. This, of course, was my own doing and lack of KDE knowledge, not a problem with Mint 10 KDE :roll: . After some time I became accustomed to Lancelot and decided to leave it as is. I never did figure out a simple and safe way to replace it with the kickoff.

It's easy. Once you get the other menu, u should press the button at the right most side of the panel which brings up the editing mode. Then, you can move anything around, add widgets, applets, etc.

I am impressed with KDE in general, and can't help but wonder why it's not that popular. This is the first time I am really trying it out. I disabled all the fancy desktop effects, I never like stuff like that. Except the desktop cube, makes it easy to switch desktops in any direction. I love the fact that it is sooo easy to install a theme. And I love the fact that Synaptic is included. I love the fact that the panel behaves the way you want it too, unlike Gnome. Oh, and I really like Dolphin. Hmm.. maybe as I keep using it, I may find more problems.

Oh, I have a small problem with the window decoration. The color from the menu buttons to the title bar drastically changes from a silverish-gray to white. How can I change this?

Suicide-machine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Suicide-machine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm running 64 bit and its running fine, just a little bit problem in the update manager and the compiz fusion icon doesn't work...any working windows decoration in this release?

Return to “KDE”