Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Font issues with GTK apps

Post by kvv »

Hello,

I am having some font rendering issues with Google Chrome, Firefox and Synaptic. Is this a known problem? Are there any solutions for this?
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Font issues with GTK apps

Post by richyrich »

Other members have installed the ttf-mscorefonts-installer from Synaptic, then changed the font in system settings, and in their browser's preferences.

good luck.
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

Can you elaborate more on changing the system font settings and the browser's setting? I have installed the msfonts and the fonts look really off still.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

sorry, I'm in Xfce, and it's available system-wide in the Appearance app . . . you may want to wait on one of our kde members . . good luck.
kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv »

red123 wrote:Can you elaborate more on changing the system font settings and the browser's setting? I have installed the msfonts and the fonts look really off still.
Okay. Here is what I did. After installing the fonts: Go to System Settings. Inside System settings search for Application Settings and click on it. You can adjust the fonts in the Fonts subtab.

Here's where I am still trying out, but I'll tell you anyway.
I chose Arial fonts for everything except General, for which I liked the Ubuntu font.
I turned anti-aliasing on. And in the the Configure.., I set sub-pixel rendering on, and chose the first option randomly. Anti-aliasing doesn't magically make it perfect, but it's much easier on my eyes.

Anyway, like I said I may continue fiddling a bit, and if I get a set of great settings, I will post it here. Hopefully, someone else will be kind enough to post theirs.

Edit: I liked the Ubuntu font a lot, so I changed the menu font to Ubuntu.
kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv »

michael.conner wrote:I installed the ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates ppa to get the latest and greatest stable Intel video drivers. I was having lots of problems with scrolling and text rendering, especially in Firefox and Chromium. Updating the xorg packages fixed it for me, at least.
I saw the above comment in the other thread. I suggest you do this too.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Return to “KDE”