KDE 10 RC - won't wake from sleep

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JakeUT
Level 1
Level 1

KDE 10 RC - won't wake from sleep

Post by JakeUT »

I got really excited when I saw the other gentleman's comment solved, but mine appears different.

My laptop appears to go to sleep just fine, but open waking it up, the led indicators on the machine change to the correct blue but the screen remains black. This is a new machine so I hope the forum crew has some great answers!

Gateway Laptop with AMD C-50 Fusion APU. I have the latest proprietary AMD/ATI drivers installed. On a side note, the benefit of the APU is much more noticeable in Win7 while watching high def videos on the web etc.

Thanks for any help!
JakeUT
Level 1
Level 1

Re: KDE 10 RC - won't wake from sleep

Post by JakeUT »

Bump. I am really enjoying KDE 10 RC, but sadly without being able to use sleep, I will have difficulty using the distro for work and school when I am not wanting to wait the 3 minutes for booting up each time. Anyone have ideas where I can start? Can I provide more information?
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

I actually have the opposite problem. I cannot sleep, but this goes with every single distro I have used.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Sleep mode works perfectly with my nvidea GT 220 and the latest drivers from the xswat ppa. I tried it out yesterday when I was fixing issues with my keyboard controls, I was surprised when sleep mode actually worked. :D
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

I've never found much success doing sleep/hibernate/save to disk etc. on any OS.

I normally just disable this as like I said I've never got it to work reliably, and after loosing some stuff a couple times over it, never looked back.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
JakeUT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JakeUT »

After reading around a lot it seems I should probably just wait for a kernel update, right? I realize that some folks have never had a machine able to sleep and I really hope that does not happen. The ability to be working on something, close the laptop, drive home, and immediately start working again seems to be necessary for many people. Of course sleep does work with Win7, but I always like to show off how great Mint is and this is stopping me!

Any other ideas out there? Would a different Mint distro work or is it just dependent on the kernel?

Thanks!
P!-Ro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by P!-Ro »

I'm going to assume you are using a laptop, since you talk about taking it to school. If this is so, how are you making it sleep, by shutting the lid, or from the menu? I have a fairly new laptop myself and I've found that shutting the lid can cause me problems when the screen is on when I do so, so I had to make a command that would shut off the screen when I pressed alt+crl+z so I could shut the lid without troubles.
P!-Ro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by P!-Ro »

By the way--if this is what the problem is, I've also found that locking it on resume helps increase how often it works correctly.
JakeUT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JakeUT »

Thanks P! I will have to try that. Currently I have tried both using menu - sleep and just shutting the lid. Though I would rather it "just work" by closing the lid (my last laptop did fine!), I will take any trick at this point haha.
P!-Ro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by P!-Ro »

If your laptop is new enough it probably just needs to wait for the next kernel update. I got my laptop late last year, and on Mint KDE 9 it didn't allow me to use my ethernet port and I had to shut off the screen before even trying to shut the lid, but now in Mint 10 both these problems seem to be fixed (I haven't tried shutting the lid and having it start up without locking the screen yet. I see no point since I consider it locking itself a good security measure).

If you just can't wait for Mint 11 then perhaps in a few months when they get Kubuntu 11.4 out you can try that (I never did like this distro as well as Mint, it just didn't have the same feel).

BTW, assuming your laptop came with win7, did you sell the license yet? I was able to get the re-install disks for both 32 and 64 bit from Dell, and I sold this with the license number for $60 last year.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Sleep (Suspend) seems to be one of those things that is hit and miss with most distros. My HP laptop wouldn't sleep until Mint 10. It will only hibernate with Debian, but not sleep. It's not surprising though, with the hundreds of hardware combinations for sale out there. Remember that the reason Windows always works is because the OEM technicians do whatever it takes to get it to work on that manufacturer's machines. It doesn't work just because Windows works on everything; the OEMs have to make it work on various machines the same as we do with Linux on our machines.
Mint Cinnamon 20
JakeUT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JakeUT »

Thanks for the replies. I am still dual booting with Win7 for a couple things (Netflix, light gaming, etc.). As for the sleeping, I suspected as much that I just need to wait for kernel updates. I totally understand about the hundreds are hardware configurations, I just also was hoping I could edit some info to make it work (and learn more by fixing it!).

Thanks again all.

Return to “KDE”