Update Manager not working!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RJ12

Update Manager not working!!

Post by RJ12 »

Well, just installed Linux Mint 10 KDE and it seems Update Manager was just working (installed the updates), but now it isn't. It keeps throwing this error

Code: Select all

Geared toward desktop systems.

You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

The only other thing I have done is install chromium-browser from the Software Manager. I have no other processes using dpkg I believe. (Don't have Software Manager open or am not using apt-get)

I have also been sometimes getting this error when that other error doesn't come up

Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release.gpg  Something wicked happened resolving 'archive.canonical.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
It seems if I refresh enough, it will work. I'm guessing it's just having a few issues (LM 10 KDE was just released) and will be fixed in future updates?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Update Manager not working!!

Post by Boo »

It looks like you are having connection issues to some ubuntu repositories.
the second one looks like a DNS issue to resolve archive.canonical.com.
And the first looks like you are trying to update the kernel but not all the correct kernel packages are being selected or seen in the repo.
this could be due to a broken / out of date repo mirror.
So the warning says use the kernel meta package to update the kernel, I expect this is due to the broken repo.

Your initial kernel updates may have failed partially causing you the errors.

Try using synaptic to find what is broken, and it should be able to fix it too.

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
HellionDarklord

Post by HellionDarklord »

I too have this issue.

I tried using the synaptic program to repair dependencies and it didn't work. I think it is just the repo list that is at fault. There are no broken packages as far as I can determine.
Is there a way to look at the mirror and copy real paths?

oh, and i've tried multiplr mirrors
mephi

Post by mephi »

I had this problem too.
I solved it this way:

Sort the packages to update by size. There may be one with size zero. Uncheck this one, and update will work. (worked for me a few weeks ago) :)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

mephi wrote:I had this problem too.
I solved it this way:

Sort the packages to update by size. There may be one with size zero. Uncheck this one, and update will work. (worked for me a few weeks ago) :)
This is a little different, and you would get the error pop up "Broken Packages..."

best to do:

open konsole

sudo apt-get update
To refresh the repos and the list of available software

Re run synaptic as Boo posted theres a connection issue with one, and 9/10 times the above solves it unless something has really went wrong with the repo server itself.

Return to “Software & Applications”