Page 1 of 2

Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 pm
by vaxxipooh
Heyas again

Well i manage to upgrade to 4.6.1 after some mess (mintupdate said i had to fix broken packages) ... well now that annoying plasma crash when logout seem's to have gone
and thats great ! - but now i had an issue with Dolphin not showing any content / icons when start browsing my home dir (/home/vaxxipooh) - its the same for all users .. i have to hit F5
for the contents to show up .. others like /home/vaxxipooh/Dokument and soo on works just fine it seems to just affect /home/user - its not the end of the world but just a little irritating
that with one "glitch" gone there's one new . . i wonder if anyone else has the same error ?

Sincerely
Vaxxipooh

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm
by Truthfinder
Same here. Still have the "add to desktop" bug too. KDE seems to be getting more and more buggy. Sure
hope they get it sorted soon...

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 am
by rotave
vaxxipooh wrote:Heyas again

Well i manage to upgrade to 4.6.1 after some mess (mintupdate said i had to fix broken packages) ... well now that annoying plasma crash when logout seem's to have gone
and thats great ! - but now i had an issue with Dolphin not showing any content / icons when start browsing my home dir (/home/vaxxipooh) - its the same for all users .. i have to hit F5
for the contents to show up .. others like /home/vaxxipooh/Dokument and soo on works just fine it seems to just affect /home/user - its not the end of the world but just a little irritating
that with one "glitch" gone there's one new . . i wonder if anyone else has the same error ?

Sincerely
Vaxxipooh
Yep, since the upgrade I've got this problem too.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 am
by dante19992
me too

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:58 am
by vaxxipooh
Hmm well ..
It see'ms that i am not alone with this "new feature" of KDE 4.6.1 - its really a confuzes me .. otherwise the KDE 4.6.1 desktop "feels" MUCH more stable and responsive than
KDE 4.6.0 indeed.

I have tried too google on this Dolphin buggy behaviour with no result as so far - if someone got a clue on this ... PLZ post it here Ok?
Happy Hunting
Vaxxipooh

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 am
by tdockery97
Same here. Just switch to Konqueror until an update comes through to fix the Dolphin glitch.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 am
by towerofpower
Sorry to hear. My upgrade has went well so far.
My only hitch with the 4.6.1 update was, it didn't work through mint update. So I went through synaptic and it said I could update, just as long as I removed libmarble or something like that. I gave it a whatever sign with my hands and clicked ok.
But yea, everything seems cool. My Dolphin is still preforming swimmingly. (thats a pun)

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 am
by dante19992
towerofpower wrote:Sorry to hear. My upgrade has went well so far.
My only hitch with the 4.6.1 update was, it didn't work through mint update. So I went through synaptic and it said I could update, just as long as I removed libmarble or something like that. I gave it a whatever sign with my hands and clicked ok.
But yea, everything seems cool. My Dolphin is still preforming swimmingly. (thats a pun)
Lucky.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 am
by dante19992
Even still though you have got to admit the advantages are worth the one disadvantage. I personally have found my system to be a thousand times snappier.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 am
by vaxxipooh
dante19992 wrote:Even still though you have got to admit the advantages are worth the one disadvantage. I personally have found my system to be a thousand times snappier.
Yes you are rite on that - KDE 4.6.1 seem's alot more stable and robust - upgraded the kernel to 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP and NVIDIA Driver to 270.29 at the same time ..
now i have for example significantly higher FPS in games like World of Warcraft and KDE feel's rock solid (at least for now) - i put a shortcut on Desktop that opens Dolphin in my
home dir (and a keyboard) and it works - these glitches are just annoying coz you always expect Linux to be perfect lol ...

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:20 am
by colyn
One thing you can do till the fix is released is to open dolphin and go to view-reload and right-click reload and add to toolbar.

Just hit reload and the /home folder will show what you have..

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 am
by vaxxipooh
colyn wrote:One thing you can do till the fix is released is to open dolphin and go to view-reload and right-click reload and add to toolbar.

Just hit reload and the /home folder will show what you have..
You can just hit F5 key ;-)

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 am
by dante19992
vaxxipooh wrote:
dante19992 wrote:Even still though you have got to admit the advantages are worth the one disadvantage. I personally have found my system to be a thousand times snappier.
Yes you are rite on that - KDE 4.6.1 seem's alot more stable and robust - upgraded the kernel to 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP and NVIDIA Driver to 270.29 at the same time ..
now i have for example significantly higher FPS in games like World of Warcraft and KDE feel's rock solid (at least for now) - i put a shortcut on Desktop that opens Dolphin in my
home dir (and a keyboard) and it works - these glitches are just annoying coz you always expect Linux to be perfect lol ...
I know what you mean. I keep having to remind myself that computers are satan so it is not linux's fault

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:36 pm
by colyn
Can't help but wonder if this is a Mint issue.

Nobody in the Kubuntu or Ubuntu forums seems to be having this issue..

Can't find a bug report at kde.org either..

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:50 pm
by dante19992
colyn wrote:Can't help but wonder if this is a Mint issue.

Nobody in the Kubuntu or Ubuntu forums seems to be having this issue..

Can't find a bug report at kde.org either..
I had figured it might be.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 am
by sbbg
Hi guys,
I'm happy to tell you: it's NOT limited to Linux Mint only. I'm using Gentoo with KDESC 4.6.1.
It really scared all sh*t out of me when I saw the empty home directory.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am
by wlake
Hey,
The interesting thing for me is that if I open Dolphin from the Lancelot menu or via a keyboard shortcut then the home directory is populated. If I open it from an icon on the panel, it isn't and I have to hit F5.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am
by dante19992
sbbg wrote:Hi guys,
I'm happy to tell you: it's NOT limited to Linux Mint only. I'm using Gentoo with KDESC 4.6.1.
It really scared all sh*t out of me when I saw the empty home directory.
That is comforting news.

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1 A FIX

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:06 pm
by colyn
Here's a temporary fix till 4.6.2 is released.

Open Dolphin and click settings-configure dolphin. In the location box you will see file:///home/your username. Remove your username so it will read file:///home/ Then click apply and OK

Dolphin will now populate the folder when opening your /home directory..

Re: Dolphin wierdness after upgrade to KDE 4.6.1 A FIX

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm
by dante19992
colyn wrote:Here's a temporary fix till 4.6.2 is released.

Open Dolphin and click settings-configure dolphin. In the location box you will see file:///home/your username. Remove your username so it will read file:///home/ Then click apply and OK

Dolphin will now populate the folder when opening your /home directory..
Thank god. I HATE konqueror