Windows 7 VS Linux mint 10 kde STARTUP TIME!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 7 VS Linux mint 10 kde STARTUP TIME!

Post by nivosh »

Hello.

recently I changed my hardware and installed mint 10 kde 64bit and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
I checked the start up timed for both OS and found in astonishment that win7 was double the speed more fast then LM.

here are the times:
win7 from logo appearance to user login screen: 14.82 seconds
LM from logo appearance to user login screen: 28.09 seconds

win 7 from pressing the user to enter to desktop appearance: 3.68 seconds
LM 10 from pressing the user to enter to desktop appearance: 40 seconds (!)

My hardware is:
intel q8200 quad core
4 GIGA memory

How can that be?
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Windows 7 VS Linux mint 10 kde STARTUP TIME!

Post by zerozero »

hi,
the difference being that on Mint and on any other linux distro as soon as you see the desktop, you are ready to start, you can launch your app, start your work, whatever, in windows is deceiving, the desktop is there but the OS is still loading and you will have to wait until you can actually use it;
Give it a try 8)

[ bliss of ignorance ]
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

I don't know, on my machine Mint 10 KDE is three times faster than Win 7.

In fact I can boot from Live DVD or USB faster than Windows.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

zerozero wrote:hi,
the difference being that on Mint and on any other linux distro as soon as you see the desktop, you are ready to start, you can launch your app, start your work, whatever, in windows is deceiving, the desktop is there but the OS is still loading and you will have to wait until you can actually use it;
Give it a try 8)
well, I stooped the timer just upon desktop appearing. but I think that mint wasn't ready still...

Maybe the 64 bit version is slower?
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
BrOiler1985
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrOiler1985 »

After reading the first post I wanted to test it myself. I always felt that LM10 was faster then Win7. Lets see:

LM10 from pressing enter at GRUB to login screen: about 29 seconds
WIN7 from pressing enter at GRUB to login screen: about 24 seconds

LM10 from pressing enter at login screen to a ready desktop: about 29 seconds
WIN7 from pressing enter at login screen to a ready desktop: about 20 seconds

LM10 total: about 58 seconds
WIN7 total: about 44 seconds

I'm really surprised by that. Like I said LM10 always felt faster to me. But I still love LM10 KDE. And I have to say that WIN7 (as my 2nd OS) is pretty much vanilla. LM on the other hand has a changed plymouth theme (solar) and is the OS I use most of the time.
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

i'm glad i'm not the only one that see this difference.
on the previous versions of mint it booted much faster...
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
Slant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slant »

Don't know about 64 bit KDE, but my 32 bit LM 10 Gnome is FAR FAR FAR faster than my 64 bit Win 7. No comparison. :o
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

have you tried timing a fresh install for windows7 vs linux mint? :lol: You'd be amazed with the results.
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

Take this for what it's worth because I am not a KDE fan, but have you tested Win 7 vs. LM 10 Main? I really, really dislike KDE because to me, it seems to be more bloated and more of a resource hog than Gnome (and especially XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox). This is not to say that the LM KDE developer has done a bad job. It just feels heavy to me. I have booted my LMDE and my Debian XFCE installs directly against my wife's Win 7 install on her computer, and there is no comparison as to which is faster - both of mine by a mile!

Again, boot Win 7 vs these other DE's and I believe that you'll see the difference, but don't disparage Linux in general because of KDE. (BTW, I don't think that the OPer is disparaging Linux, just expressing surprise at his test results. But I put this in here because some who are searching this forum could take it as disparaging.)

mikhou
BrOiler1985
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrOiler1985 »

I bet if I do a fresh install of LM10KDE it would be faster than Win7. But there's no need for, I will not switch back to Windows because of some lousy seconds bootup-time more. I really enjoy my Mint10 as it is :).
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

mikhou wrote:Take this for what it's worth because I am not a KDE fan, but have you tested Win 7 vs. LM 10 Main? I really, really dislike KDE because to me, it seems to be more bloated and more of a resource hog than Gnome (and especially XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox). This is not to say that the LM KDE developer has done a bad job. It just feels heavy to me.
Bloated how? It uses a little bit more ram, but nothing extra. not if you turn off the effects. Gnome can be a drag too with compiz on and all possible effects enabled.

I can't see any extra stuff or unnecessary things on default KDE. It looks and feels a lot like win7. ofcourse depends hten what kind of widgets you add to your desktop. For exampel i have 2 analog clocks and wheather forecast on desktop. I take it these need extra resources to run. i could also add some hardware monitor, but there is really no need to. Plenty of options...
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

aljoriz wrote:have you tried timing a fresh install for windows7 vs linux mint? :lol: You'd be amazed with the results.
This IS a frash install...
of both OS.

I am currently installing kubuntu 10.10 to check the timings.
Will be posting back with the results.

b.t.w, does placing the boot on a different partition influance the boot time?
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

BrOiler1985 wrote:I bet if I do a fresh install of LM10KDE it would be faster than Win7. But there's no need for, I will not switch back to Windows because of some lousy seconds bootup-time more. I really enjoy my Mint10 as it is :).
Please don't take this the wrong way.
I LOVE linux and the idea behind linux and the community of linux.

BUT, win7 is a preaty good OS, And I was suprised that it booted up so quickly compared to LM...

B.T.W, I have tried pclinux and it booted faster then LM-kde - 38 seconds from grub to working desktop compared with 68+ seconds in LM...
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

Ok, Guys.

Frash install of Kubuntu 10.10 boot time from grub to working desktop is: 33 seconds
Now this is more like it.

I am going to install (again) a frash LM-kde 10.10 and time (again) the boot speed just to make sure the numbers I gave are correct.
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

mastablasta,

Maybe "bloated" was the wrong term to use. What I mean is that KDE feels sluggish to me. But again, I'm running a straight-up Debian XFCE install so to me even my LMDE Gnome install feels a tad slow to me. Again, please don't take offense. This isn't to say that LM10 KDE isn't a quality product. I just prefer simpler, cleaner, and faster. And my intention in posting is to say that the OPer is trying a Linux install that has one of the heaviest DEs. If the OPer really wants to experience speed, then he should go to something simpler. Just my $.02. Again, didn't mean to cause a flame war on DEs. So I'll check out from here. I'm glad that you're so happy with your LM KDE install. I'm sure it's a great system for you.

mikhou
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

So what is the big deal about Mint v Windows startup time??

I know when I startup Mint I have no spyware or virus to greet me like you do with Windows and Windows has to also startup whatever virus/spyware software you are using which is a resource hog itself.

So if Mint is a few seconds slower at startup I'll gladly take the trade off..

I wonder if Linux users go to Windows forums and try to start Linux v Windows wars.................................
nivosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nivosh »

colyn wrote:So what is the big deal about Mint v Windows startup time??

I know when I startup Mint I have no spyware or virus to greet me like you do with Windows and Windows has to also startup whatever virus/spyware software you are using which is a resource hog itself.

So if Mint is a few seconds slower at startup I'll gladly take the trade off..

I wonder if Linux users go to Windows forums and try to start Linux v Windows wars.................................

This is not about atarting a war, its about the new release of mint 10 that is slower on my machine...
just wanted to know why.
פרויקט אמת אחרת
אתר החדשות האלטרנטיבי
Slant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slant »

nivosh wrote: This is not about atarting a war, its about the new release of mint 10 that is slower on my machine...
just wanted to know why.
There are any number of answers based on your particular set up. But you can speed up your LM boot time. There are numerous tactics/methods. Some of the more simple are: reduce the time you sit watching the GRUB 2 screen count down; remove items you don't need from the list of startup applications.
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

I've watched this debate from the back of the auditorium....simply in my very opinionated opinion...

It takes as long as it takes to boot, maybe you would like to boostrap a PDP8/e and compare times... :mrgreen:

I really don't see the point in this, especially when you drag in a certain viruosw to the mix.... I am not inclined to help if your not booting and using KMint full time.

Personally I don't really see the issue.... if there is that big of an issue there is software and resources to log and graph and tweak etc. the Linux boot process.

http://www.bootchart.org/

My PC's except laptops are never off, work or home. Back to a login screen or a locked session.. there would have to a failure of components or something for them to be off. All backed up on UPS and standby gen sets ready to go, and that includes home.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

nivosh wrote: This is not about atarting a war, its about the new release of mint 10 that is slower on my machine...
just wanted to know why.
Most time when someone comes here and starts a this 'OS does this better than that OS' or whatever it ends up being a OS war so people should not come here and make statements of the sort. Instead if they have issues with their Linux install they should ask for help..

Linux like any other OS's will run better on some computers but not others. I have Mint 10 KDE installed on several computers and all except one runs smooth and fast. The lone holdout still runs reasonable well but is a bit slower than the others..

Most times hardware seems to be the problem, not the OS..

Return to “KDE”