Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sespela
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone tried KDE on Acer Aspire One?

Post by sespela » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 am

Hi all.
I'm just wondering if anyone have tried KDE on Acer Aspire One?
Right now I'm running the LM 10 Gnome. And I think is fantastic, but I just tried the KDE version trough a USB.
It was off course quite slow because of the fact that I used a bootable USB.
I'm considering installing it since I was really atracted to the overall design and look of the KDE version.

Have anyone tried this on an Acer Aspire One? Is it quicker when installed and did it live up to the expectations?

In advance, thanks.:)

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Anyone tried KDE on Acer Aspire One?

Post by AlbertP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 am

The performance of live USB's differs much between computers. On my HP laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM) I don't feel much difference, but at someone else's computer (AMD Sempron 2600+, 960 MB RAM) a Live USB was quite slow.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

sespela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sespela » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 am

Ok, thanks.:)

But did he notice any difference when installing it?
Did it get faster?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 am

At that other computer, LM 10 was much faster after install. But at mine, I did feel only little difference between live USB and harddisk. I think it depends on the amount of RAM memory.

It also depends on the USB stick's speed. The USB stick used on both computers has 4 MB/s, while a stick that only supports 1 MB/s (and that are most older ones) is considerably slower on my lappy.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

I wish you good luck and hope LM KDE10 works wonderful for you, if not, try LM KD9, for me is much, much better. Let us know how it goes.

manny

sespela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sespela » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:20 am

Thanks for all the answers.:)
I went ahead and tried it. It worked ok, but not too well.
First, when I move the mouse cursor down to the taskbar, and there is a preview of the window I wish to open, it sort of freezes for a while. Same thing happens when I alt + tab to change window. It can freeze for up to 2-3 minutes.
Plasma crashes almost two times each session.
When I use Plasma Netbook, on the upper right corner of the screen it says how many apps are running. When I click on this, there is a preview of the windows, here it freezes again, though the mousecursor is moveable, but all else is frozen for some time.
There are some minor problems with Chromium, but English is not my first language, so it's hard to explain what happens. But it's like when scrolling down a page, things sort of get skewred when I stop scrolling.

So I think I'll go back to LM 10 Gnome.
I guess my notebook isn't powerful enough to run the KDE version.:/

ello
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ello » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm using the latest Linux Mint KDE version on my Acer Aspire One D150 (1gb RAM/160gb HDD) and it feels quite smooth. I've used Ubuntu (Gnome) the last year or so until I tried KDE a week ago and this Mint KDE distro is as responsive as Ubuntu was. However, right after the installation it was indeed a bit sluggish to begin with so in order to make it faster I disabled desktop effects which helped *a lot* performance-wise and now I'm using Linux Mint KDE as my only OS and loving it.

ello
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ello » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:00 pm

sespela wrote:When I use Plasma Netbook, on the upper right corner of the screen it says how many apps are running. When I click on this, there is a preview of the windows, here it freezes again, though the mousecursor is moveable, but all else is frozen for some time.
There are some minor problems with Chromium, but English is not my first language, so it's hard to explain what happens. But it's like when scrolling down a page, things sort of get skewred when I stop scrolling.
That's how it was for me too right after installation, but installing the updates (140+ files) and then disabling desktop effects made a huge difference on my netbook so it might be worth a try. If you own the AAO 110 8gb SD netbook model it's probably not going to help though.

sespela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sespela » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow, thanks ello!
Now it runs much smoother after I disabled the desktop effects. AWESOME!:D
Luckily I have the ZG5 so that wasn't a problem.:)
Thanks so much for your help!:)

Return to “KDE”