KDE stable release

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE stable release

Post by deadguy »

I'm very exited to try the final of daryna kde!!!!!

I use cassandra kde as my main os and I just love it :D :D :D
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Nope! Not stable enough... yet :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

You're killing me, in average I've checked LinuxMint website every 2 days since main Daryna is out ...

:)

i have Cassandra KDE as main OS on my desktop, and want to replace, because in the mean time i screwed up some things in there :)

best regards,
JP
welkiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by welkiner »

I think some of you got lost in this thread...
This thread, as I understand it, is suppose to be talking about Daryna 4.0 KDE CE. Not KDE 4.0!
Speaking of Daryna 4.0 KDE CE, where in the world is it?
molom

Post by molom »

I want to congratulate Boo and everyone who has helped with the Mint KDE project. As some people may know, I am a person who dislikes KDE a lot. But I've been looking at some screenshots and I find it amazing that you people can make someone that dislikes something actually like it. I actually really like the Mint KDE looks. I really want to thank you for making me like the Mint KDE project. But just one question. What menu is Mint KDE 4.0 going to use? I personally don't like the default KDE menu a lot.

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Clem on the blog wrote:I’ll go straight to what most people want to know: The KDE CE Edition will come as a 2nd BETA in the days to come. Although it’s extremely stable a few tiny issues need to be addressed prior to the release and as many changes were made since the first BETA release it looks wiser to give this release a week of community testing. I’ve already installed it on my laptop and I can tell all the KDE fans among us, this is definitely among the best KDE desktops I’ve ever got to see. If you liked Cassandra KDE CE, you’ll absolutely love this one.
Annoyingly, the stuff on the blog doesn't always filter its way onto the forums.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Repost:

I know I am newly registered on this board but I have been lurking for a while now...lol. I have a sincere request. Please Please take as much time as you need to "get it right." I really like what Mint is doing. Please don't be tempted to push it out before it is ready. Mint has strong appeal to relatively new linux users and as such is more sensitive to bugs and inconsistencies than say, Gentoo. As long as it is at least as bug free, preferably more so, than (K)ubuntu it will go like gang busters! Mint is one of the nicest distros I have seen in a long while now and I really want to see it continues to do well.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Nobody wants Mint KDE to be pushed out before it's ready. I think the issue that most people have is that the development and testing process is not transparent. As end-users, we see one or two selected betas, and then we start a couple of forum threads where Boo posts some updates. Other than that, we have no idea what's going on. It's the same with every other linux distro out there. PCLinuxOS, Mepis, what have you...

Honestly, I think there would be some value to opening up the pool of beta-testers and setting up a formal bug-tracking system. That would be a more true "community-edition". This is NOT a rant against Boo or Clem. I'm just saying that if Mint has "community-editions", maybe we could engage the community a little better. Just my two-cents...

--Akshun J
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I couldn't agree more. I think Boo needs to be writing regular blog posts to tell us what he is getting up to, and a quicker second beta wouldnt have been a bad idea either.
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:I couldn't agree more. I think Boo needs to be writing regular blog posts to tell us what he is getting up to, and a quicker second beta wouldnt have been a bad idea either.
The blog for Linux Mint E17 is http://linuxminte17.wordpress.com/ if you are interested.

Cheers,
molom
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

I may be speaking out of turn here because my opinion of how mint operates is not well informed, but I have been on the other side of this development thing and for what it is worth there are always two sides to a coin.

Let me remind you that the people that are working on these distros in general are not paid to do it. They are giving there time, money, and talents to provide something of value to the community at large, for the personal joy of the exercise. To have the attitude that you are somehow owed anything, information, updates, or end product is just wrong. Like the old saying goes, "If you arn't satisfied, ask for a refund!" I really don't mean to sound harsh but that is the reality.

If you really want to speed things up offer your talents to the endeavor. If you don't have the time or the talent to give, for whatever reason, then don't complain because it isn't happening the way you want or soon enough for you. Just be thankful that you will at some point get the benefit of others labor without charge.

From what little I have seen, I am confident that as time goes on and more and more people get involved more resources can be brought to bear to help solve the inevitable growing pains all popular distros have.

Putting out a stable, polished distro is a tremendous amount of work. Things don't always go as planed. Boo, Clem and the other contributors have lives too. To expect them to answer ever post asking "what's the problem" or "when will it be ready" is more than I would ever do, I'll tell you that! To start with you probably would not have a clue what they were talking about when explaining the problem of the day. And secondly, If they are spending time answering posts just because you are in a hurry, think of all the valuable development time that would be wasted.

Think, be patient, and be grateful for all the effort expended on your behalf. Remember, they owe you nothing!

Have a nice day.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Fred, I think the arguments are actually the other way around.

If this was a commercial endeavour and Boo was getting paid then we will all sit back and wait for him to do his big product announcement. It's precisely because this is supposed to be a community driven collaborative thing that people get frustrated when they don't know what's going on.

That said, a lot of the frustration is just because people are overly excited. They really appreciate what Boo is doing but the wait is driving them crazy.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

calm down people, play a game or something.

First - people should never be under pressure to do this kind of work
Second - The "first" is specially applicable when we are talking about free stuff.
Third - The "first" and "second" are even more applicable when we are talking about a O.S., things must be stable enough don't you think?
Fourth - I want the distro out two, but we can only want things fast or well done, not both. i'm also in dev world and believe me when i say that things should never be rushed, i always gives more time to put them right.

But i have to agree with opinions that maybe, beta releases should come often, so that the community tests could give some improvements to people in the dev of the distro.

let's us all wait a little more :)

good work Boo.

JP
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I'm betting that it will be worth the wait!!!!!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

myforms wrote:Boo is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What if Boo is a woman? :wink:
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Fred wrote:I may be speaking out of turn here because my opinion of how mint operates is not well informed, but I have been on the other side of this development thing and for what it is worth there are always two sides to a coin.

Let me remind you that the people that are working on these distros in general are not paid to do it. They are giving there time, money, and talents to provide something of value to the community at large, for the personal joy of the exercise. To have the attitude that you are somehow owed anything, information, updates, or end product is just wrong. Like the old saying goes, "If you arn't satisfied, ask for a refund!" I really don't mean to sound harsh but that is the reality.

If you really want to speed things up offer your talents to the endeavor. If you don't have the time or the talent to give, for whatever reason, then don't complain because it isn't happening the way you want or soon enough for you. Just be thankful that you will at some point get the benefit of others labor without charge.

From what little I have seen, I am confident that as time goes on and more and more people get involved more resources can be brought to bear to help solve the inevitable growing pains all popular distros have.

Putting out a stable, polished distro is a tremendous amount of work. Things don't always go as planed. Boo, Clem and the other contributors have lives too. To expect them to answer ever post asking "what's the problem" or "when will it be ready" is more than I would ever do, I'll tell you that! To start with you probably would not have a clue what they were talking about when explaining the problem of the day. And secondly, If they are spending time answering posts just because you are in a hurry, think of all the valuable development time that would be wasted.

Think, be patient, and be grateful for all the effort expended on your behalf. Remember, they owe you nothing!

Have a nice day.

Fred
I hope everyone actually read my original post. I certainly am not rushing anyone or making any demands. I'm well aware that Boo earns zero from doing this. In fact, both belovedmonster and I are advocating a more open and participatory process. I, for one, would LOVE to do something that helps the development process. My time is limited (thus, I donate $$ to the distro when I can), but I can certainly test some betas and help track some bugs. The *community* only wants to know more about the development process and perhaps understand how we can better contribute. It feels weird to refer to Mint KDE as a community edition, when really it's just Boo working on everything and the community is just standing around twiddling our thumbs. Again, I am NOT ranting at Boo or Clem. Both of them are probably over-worked and under-paid. I'm just saying that some of us in the community stand ready to do......whatever. Engaging the community does two things: Creates a more transparent development process, and gives people the opportunity to contribute something to a project they *love*.

For example, I'm sure someone in the community would be MORE than happy to post regular status updates on Mint KDE on the blog. Just as someone already does the newsletter, the wiki, and so on. For the record, I love and respect Mint, Boo, Clem, belovedmonster, Fred, deadguy, jpedrosa, and everyone else who's ever made a post on the forums, living or dead. But that doesn't mean I can't be an advocate for change in a few areas.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

--Akshun J
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mumbo719 wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:
myforms wrote:Boo is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What if Boo is a woman? :wink:
What if Boo is a man dressed like a woman :twisted:
What if Boo is an alien?!?! :twisted: :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
molom

Post by molom »

LunkHead wrote:How did we go from a SERIOUS discussion to Boo is a woman dressed like a man and Boo is an Alien?????

Ahem........

Back on track..... I hope!
I agree. I think the title says 'KDE stable release' not 'Who is Boo?'. :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

LunkHead wrote:How did we go from a SERIOUS discussion to Boo is a woman dressed like a man and Boo is an Alien?????

Ahem........

...sorry 'bout that! (especially to Boo!)
But I couldn't help myself!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
molom

Post by molom »

Zwopper wrote:

Ahem........

...sorry 'bout that! (especially to Boo!)
But I couldn't help myself!
An alien would never be as smart as Boo. An alien wouldn't be able to make the best KDE distro in the world!

Return to “KDE”