Mint 11 KDE development

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by tdockery97 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 pm

While I like Mint Debian, the Ubuntu-based version just feels like it is more up-to-date and does more of what I like to do. Since the Mint Main edition will continue to be produced, I will still be able to do as I did this time and change out Gnome for KDE and have the distro I really like. Right now my secondary system is Mint 11 LXDE, and if that moves to a Debian base I can still do the same with LXDE. I love a distro where you can have it any way you like it. As long as we have editions based on both Debian and Ubuntu, anyone can easily make their own edition. 8)
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

wolf68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wolf68 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm

I am still learning the in and outs of mint kde. I love the KDE version of mint. If Boo can get the same easy of use with
debian i would say go for it. For it looks like the best way to go. I don 't hate Canonical they did a lot for linux in the way to get Linux to the groud. At the moment i use mint kde and kubuntu, but mint still get the upper hand.
The choices of program they include, all the codecs. Install it and everything works just out of the box.
So i wait and see what the near future will bring to mint kde. I hope Boo will get the it done.

Marcel

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by colyn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:There are a lot of things I don't like about debian, but then there are a lot of things I don't like about women. Doesn't mean I won't use it.
Wait,that came out wrong. :lol: Anyway, I'm keeping an open mind. 8)
Use what????????

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Use what????????
Why Mint KDE DE of course.

At least I'll try it. As long as my codecs are there, or at least easily installable, and my nvidia proprietary drivers are EASILY installable. As long
as I can have Firefox 5 and Thunderbird and all of my favorite programs as well as KDE 4.6.3 or later, then I won't have a problem with it. 8)
Otherwise I might try what tdockery97 did. But I'm way too used to minty freshness to have to back up several steps or jump through hoops
to make my system usable.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:44 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:
Use what????????

At least I'll try it. As long as my codecs are there, or at least easily installable, and my nvidia proprietary drivers are EASILY installable. As long
as I can have Firefox 5 and Thunderbird and all of my favorite programs as well as KDE 4.6.3 or later, then I won't have a problem with it. 8)
Otherwise I might try what tdockery97 did. But I'm way too used to minty freshness to have to back up several steps or jump through hoops
You should have all your requirements with the possible exception of an auto installer for your Nvidia drivers but I can tell you from plenty of experience, installing the Nvidia drivers and dependencies manually (meaning without any script) is absurdly easy and will survive kernel upgrades with no problem:

Go to Synaptic (or use a terminal) and install:

nvidia-glx (this will install a couple others in the list as well as a bunch of dependencies)
nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-dkms (this is the one that automatically builds your Nvidia driver to a new updated kernel)
nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-settings

After installation, run from the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Reboot and you're done. Takes all of 5 minutes or less.

Note: If you want to install Google Earth you'll want to install "nvidia-glx-ia32" so the browser portion will run properly (show the globe and all that instead of a big blank area).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 am

kmb42vt wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:
Use what????????

You should have all your requirements with the possible exception of an auto installer for your Nvidia drivers but I can tell you from plenty of experience, installing the Nvidia drivers and dependencies manually (meaning without any script) is absurdly easy and will survive kernel upgrades with no problem:

Go to Synaptic (or use a terminal) and install:

nvidia-glx (this will install a couple others in the list as well as a bunch of dependencies)
nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-dkms (this is the one that automatically builds your Nvidia driver to a new updated kernel)
nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-settings

After installation, run from the terminal:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Reboot and you're done. Takes all of 5 minutes or less.

Note: If you want to install Google Earth you'll want to install "nvidia-glx-ia32" so the browser portion will run properly (show the globe and all that instead of a big blank area).
Thanks for that info.
What repo are these packages found in?

mark@mark-KJ393AA-ABA-SR5413WM ~ $ sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
[sudo] password for mark: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package nvidia-glx is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'nvidia-glx' has no installation candidate
mark@mark-KJ393AA-ABA-SR5413WM ~ $
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

AnthonyA

Post by AnthonyA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 am

HI Boo

This is going back to your 1st post re network problems, so don't know if it's relevant anyone but I am getting the same issue with networking. But I'm getting it with Kubuntu 11.04 and Mepis 11 (debian based).
My network (in this case internet connection) stays up for 10-20 secs (sometimes up to a min) and then stops working, then comes back up again, ect. After a few minutes my PC reboots or locks up.

It seems there is a problem with Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 onboard nics. The fix is to upgrade to the driver from Realtek. From the following threads, Opensuse is affected. I've tried Mint KDE 10 and I get the same issues. I can't get this working but I'm not sure I'm installing kernel source properly - bit hard when the network won't stay up :)

There is an old thread here starting in 2008 with a fix http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411.

And 2 more recent threads from 2011:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/46942/ho ... m-dropping
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments=all

Cheers

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:39 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:
Thanks for that info.

Building dependency tree       

[/quote]

For me it's in the new "debian.linuxmint.com testing/non-free" ("incoming" repo rather than the "latest" repo). If you're still pointed to the old "debian testing" repo it's the "ftp.debian.org testing/non-free" or, in my case, it would be "ftp.us.debian.org testing/non-free" since the US mirrors tend to be around 3 times as fast as the Debian servers.

Not knowing your sources setup it's hard to tell where the problem lies. Looking at the error readout my guess would be that your "sources.list" file isn't quite correct. Did you happen to change LMDE's default repositories at any time in the past? (sorry if you posted this before--I may have forgotten).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:41 pm

kmb42vt wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:
Thanks for that info.

Building dependency tree       

For me it's in the new "debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free". If you're still pointed to the old "debian testing" repo it's the "ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free" or, in my case, it would be "ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free" since the US mirrors tend to be around 3 times as fast as the Debian servers. To be specific about it, the drivers come from the "testing/non-free" portion of the above repositories.

Not knowing your sources setup it's hard to tell where the problem lies. Looking at the error readout my guess would be that your "sources.list" file isn't quite correct. Did you happen to change LMDE's default repositories at any time in the past? (sorry if you posted this before--I may have forgotten).[/quote]

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Actually I'm not even using LMDE. I'm just trying to get prepared in the event that LM_KDE_DE is the next release. I wasn't
thinking when I posted before or would have realized that it's a whole different set of repos. (I think) I'm just not all that familiar
with debian. Thanks again for the info.
Mark Twain

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Been over two weeks since we heard anything or read anything new in the iso testing page. I've always tried to be a patient man
but I' starting to get fidgety. restless. anxious .
Mark Twain

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:31 pm

BubbaBlues wrote: but I' starting to get fidgety. restless. anxious .
Aren't all Okie's like that?????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My understanding is it may be mid-August before a release. I'm sure there are a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to integrate Mint KDE into the Debian base..

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:Actually I'm not even using LMDE. I'm just trying to get prepared in the event that LM_KDE_DE is the next release. I wasn't
thinking when I posted before or would have realized that it's a whole different set of repos. (I think) I'm just not all that familiar
with debian. Thanks again for the info.
Hah! You got me! I forgot I wasn't posting to the LMDE update/update packs threads (I've been posting there a lot lately). Sorry about that. Glad I didn't confuse you. If you install the new LMD-KDE if and when it's released my advice will come in much handier. :lol:

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:08 pm

colyn wrote:
Aren't all Okie's like that?????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My understanding is it may be mid-August before a release. I'm sure there are a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to integrate Mint KDE into the Debian base..
I'm also hoping that they resolve this bug, pretty nasty one affecting all Mint Debian releases -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/811638
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 pm

colyn wrote:

That's what scares me. I'm a Texan! I've just lived in Oklahoma for 24 years. :? :? Go Rangers!!
Mark Twain

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

hopefully it boo, look at this comment.
Does anyone know if switching to a Debian base, a fact?
I consider myself an average user to advanced, it is a pleasure for me to change.
"ppa repositories" Who needs them? I've been using debian for years and I have never needed.
"LMKDEDebian will be very difficult to manage." Do not rely on or boo clem? Both are working to bring the magic mint to Debian, and I'm sure they will achieve.
Also I used Kubuntu for a long time, but for me, over KDE 3 to 4, Kubuntu has failed to handle and has degraded and become very unstable and problematic for me and many more.
With kubuntu kde 4 got its bad reputation, there are still those who think kde = kubuntu.
Fortunately kde4 is solid as a rock, in Arch, PCLinuxOS, as in debian sid (aptosid me works better than kubuntu).

P.D: sorry for my poor english.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

linmint777, your English seems just fine to me. Yes, Boo is going with a Debian base and I understand what you mean about Kubuntu. I like a lot of people on the Kubuntu forum, they are a nice bunch of people but the Kubuntu base does have some real problems. Boo and Clem will do their best with using the Debian base. :)

linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 am

Exploder:
thanks for the confirmation.
We will gladly prepare me for a completely clean install and erase LM Kde 10 and forget this time, my assistant in upgrades: mint-backup.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com

lampyris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lampyris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 am

So, will Mint Kde Edition based on Debian or at moment it's only a suggestion/idea?

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:52 am

marcus0263 wrote:I'm also hoping that they resolve this bug, pretty nasty one affecting all Mint Debian releases -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/811638
That's been there from the dawn of time... ok, the dawn of LMDE. I've never had it actually cause me any issues, but it feels dirty leaving it like that so I always edit it.

Return to “KDE”