Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by marcus0263 »

randomizer wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:I'm also hoping that they resolve this bug, pretty nasty one affecting all Mint Debian releases -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/811638
That's been there from the dawn of time... ok, the dawn of LMDE. I've never had it actually cause me any issues, but it feels dirty leaving it like that so I always edit it.
multiple mount points for the same slice, wrong file system and no swap not causing problems? :?

The work around is to mount the root slice and edit fstab before rebooting after the install. But this will be especially troublesome for a lot of newb and novice users.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

marcus0263 wrote:multiple mount points for the same slice, wrong file system and no swap not causing problems? :?
If it was causing lots of problems I'm sure more people would be posting here about it. I, personally, didn't run into any noticeable issues. I've certainly never needed swap either.

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

randomizer wrote:[quote="marcus0263"multiple mount points for the same slice, wrong file system and no swap not causing problems? :?
If it was causing lots of problems I'm sure more people would be posting here about it. I, personally, didn't run into any noticeable issues. I've certainly never needed swap either.[/quote]
Really? :?

First off it's not a good idea not to have a swap, granted I keep mine small (between 1/2 to 1 gig). The OS does need to swap out, I have 16 G physical RAM and set my swappiness to 5.

Why swap?
Well there's memory leaks and I/O that first comes to mind just to mention a couple. Not to mention those who choose to use hibernate, especially in the lappy world.

Second having an fstab with multiple entries is ..........................

Let's just say you either are lucky or haven't noticed ......
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

marcus0263 wrote:First off it's not a good idea not to have a swap, granted I keep mine small (between 1/2 to 1 gig). The OS does need to swap out, I have 16 G physical RAM and set my swappiness to 5.

Why swap?
Well there's memory leaks and I/O that first comes to mind just to mention a couple. Not to mention those who choose to use hibernate, especially in the lappy world.
All valid points, of course, but I have not run into a time when the OS actually does swap out, and therefore have never had problems running without it. If I ran software with serious memory leaks I'd consider finding a solution to that problem rather than giving myself an extra few minutes before my system grinds to a halt ;) In the case of a laptop, I would obviously use a large swap partition, but for my desktop I either use none or one that is around 256MB. Lately I have used none because I don't want to alter my current partition structure (which is a giant mess).
marcus0263 wrote:Second having an fstab with multiple entries is ..........................
Like I said, it feels dirty so I fix it anyway :)

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

What, if anything, has anybody heard from Boo about the next version....I know he's working with Clem on possibly intigrating LMDE with KDE....any word on any kind of progress?

Cheers
Andrew

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

andrew5859 wrote:What, if anything, has anybody heard from Boo about the next version....I know he's working with Clem on possibly intigrating LMDE with KDE....any word on any kind of progress?

Cheers
Andrew
Taken from the blog.. Probably mid-August release..

"KDE

Linux Mint 11 KDE has been in testing for a couple of weeks and during its testing a couple of design decisions were made, including important changes in the software selection and the look and feel. The lack of performance and the amount of resources needed by the Kubuntu base were identified as an issue, along with a regression in the installer affecting the detection of other operating systems. Although we’re close to a release in terms of quality, a discussion is ongoing about the possibility of switching the KDE edition to LMDE. This would give it the performance it needs and make KDE a viable alternative on mid-spec computers.

Depending on this discussion, we could see a Linux Mint KDE 11 RC release this month, or an LMDE-based rolling Linux Mint KDE RC some time in August."

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

Thanks Colyn....greatly appreciated

Toxic Bladez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toxic Bladez »

I think a good 12 month cycle and releasing in SEPTEMBER of the year would be a good choice.
I second that. I want a stable, fast, reliable release that's pleasing to the eye and fun to play with. LM 10 KDE freezes up all the time especially while using Firefox for G+ hangouts or anything flash related.

cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

Toxic Bladez wrote:
I think a good 12 month cycle and releasing in SEPTEMBER of the year would be a good choice.
I second that. I want a stable, fast, reliable release that's pleasing to the eye and fun to play with. LM 10 KDE freezes up all the time especially while using Firefox for G+ hangouts or anything flash related.
i third that except when a lts is released then they shoud focus on the lts version for longer support and start in may instead of october

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

"[/quote] Taken from the blog.. Probably mid-August release..

"KDE

Linux Mint 11 KDE has been in testing for a couple of weeks and during its testing a couple of design decisions were made, including important changes in the software selection and the look and feel. The lack of performance and the amount of resources needed by the Kubuntu base were identified as an issue, along with a regression in the installer affecting the detection of other operating systems. Although we’re close to a release in terms of quality, a discussion is ongoing about the possibility of switching the KDE edition to LMDE. This would give it the performance it needs and make KDE a viable alternative on mid-spec computers.

Depending on this discussion, we could see a Linux Mint KDE 11 RC release this month, or an LMDE-based rolling Linux Mint KDE RC some time in August."[/quote]

This exerp is a little over a month old, it would be nice to have at least a 2 to 3 wk update as to progress......I know the devs are busy, but some of us would like to know how and where LM KDE is going.

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

colyn wrote:
andrew5859 wrote:What, if anything, has anybody heard from Boo about the next version....I know he's working with Clem on possibly intigrating LMDE with KDE....any word on any kind of progress?

Cheers
Andrew
Taken from the blog.. Probably mid-August release..

"KDE

Depending on this discussion, we could see a Linux Mint KDE 11 RC release this month, or an LMDE-based rolling Linux Mint KDE RC some time in August."

This exerp is a little over a month old, it would be nice to have at least a 2 to 3 wk update as to progress......I know the devs are busy, but some of us would like to know how and where LM KDE is going.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

andrew5859 wrote: This exerp is a little over a month old, it would be nice to have at least a 2 to 3 wk update as to progress......I know the devs are busy, but some of us would like to know how and where LM KDE is going.
This would be nice of course, but from looking at the current testing going on for the next respin of LMDE I doubt this is going to happen any time soon. The reason being is that if the KDE version is indeed going to be based on this new respin of LMDE then Boo is in the "hurry up and wait" mode as there's nothing to report yet. Considering that the first round of LMDE respin builds have already been rejected and it looks like the second round will be as well by what I can see via the testing pages, then I'm afraid that the KDE version will be even further delayed. The delay isn't necessarily a bad thing though when you consider that an LMDE based KDE version will be an install once and (hopefully) never again type of OS. So once it is released it will be just a matter of installing once and then installing the Update Packs once a month. No more 6 month release cycles and that to me is worth waiting for. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

I know they are all busy as well, but how long does it take to post a progress report? 5 minutes?
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

Ok kmb....I guess some of us get a little impatient and would love to see the new KDE_LMDE....myself personally.....we're all just very curious. I can only imagine what difficulties they might be going through, it just would be nice to some kind of update on the community website so we know where everything stands

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

I agree with you Andrew. This has happened many times in the past regarding KDE. Hopfully Boo can have a couple of minutes of his time and give us an update about the development of LMDE KDE or if there is going to be a release after all of KDE11.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I'm also anxiously waiting to hear. I want a Mint Debian KDE to go alongside my LMDE so I can use KDE once in a while, but still be on the Mint Debian base.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

In my own opinion, having KDE on a LMDE base, will, in esscence make KDE a more stable and will also make it a rolling release without the need for installing a new version everytime one comes out....I'm currently experimenting with my own version of a LMDE_KDE, and let me say, it's pretty cool.
It has the look & feel of KDE, with the benefits of a Debian base. Of course Boo & Clem are working on a more in depth senario......cheers

Andrew

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

andrew5859 wrote:In my own opinion, having KDE on a LMDE base, will, in esscence make KDE a more stable and will also make it a rolling release without the need for installing a new version everytime one comes out....I'm currently experimenting with my own version of a LMDE_KDE, and let me say, it's pretty cool.
It has the look & feel of KDE, with the benefits of a Debian base. Of course Boo & Clem are working on a more in depth senario......cheers

Andrew

Nice to hear Andrew you took the plunge and installed KDE on top of LMDE, I may do the same if there are delays or not news from Boo. I installed LMDE RC, I didn't find that many rough edges as I was expecting, the ones I had I solved promptly. My experience so far with LMDE is excellent, I love it. It is very stable, faster and no problems whatsoever with my wireless. I wished Boo could give us an update about KDE development, I'm sure once it is released will be a winner. I love LMDE really...What is your opinion about it so far?

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

manny wrote:
andrew5859 wrote:In my own opinion, having KDE on a LMDE base, will, in esscence make KDE a more stable and will also make it a rolling release without the need for installing a new version everytime one comes out....I'm currently experimenting with my own version of a LMDE_KDE, and let me say, it's pretty cool.

Andrew

Nice to hear Andrew you took the plunge and installed KDE on top of LMDE, I may do the same if there are delays or not news from Boo. I installed LMDE RC, I didn't find that many rough edges as I was expecting, the ones I had I solved promptly. My experience so far with LMDE is excellent, I love it. It is very stable, faster and no problems whatsoever with my wireless. I wished Boo could give us an update about KDE development, I'm sure once it is released will be a winner. I love LMDE really...What is your opinion about it so far?
I'm having a grand old time with it. By the way, you might want to take a look at this post of mine:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 98#p462464

It wraps up the most common problems found in the new LMDE RC and the fixes that I've found so far. It's for the 64 bit version of LMDE so you might not have encountered all of the same problems but who knows? I just wrote it up just to help others out.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

kmb42vt wrote:
manny wrote:

Andrew

I'm having a grand old time with it. By the way, you might want to take a look at this post of mine:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 98#p462464

It wraps up the most common problems found in the new LMDE RC and the fixes that I've found so far. It's for the 64 bit version of LMDE so you might not have encountered all of the same problems but who knows? I just wrote it up just to help others out.
kmb42vt, I had 4 problems which 3 of them resolved satisfactorily.

1.- Fonts, I found the fonts, mainly in Fire Fox, very poor. I fixed the problem following the solution placed at this address http://omnsproject.org/?p=651 The fonts improved enormously in Fire Fox and is perfect in Chromium.

2.- Partitions, I saw my other partitions using the live DVD but not after the installation. I fixed it the same way you are suggesting.

3.- Installation of the nvidia drivers. It seems every one has its own way on how to install the drivers, the first time I tried following some one recommendation broke my OS. After re-installation I followed some one else and worked right away. Hopefully Jockey will be ported soon to LMDE.

4.- Flash sound problem. I only experienced the problem on sound streams only. Youtube is perfect but not on radio streams or Shoutcast. It is a known problem on 64 bit flasplayer. The installation of the fix didn't made any difference. I found some comments about doing a PRELOAD on a file in etc/ but that file is not existence on LMDE and the system didn't allowed me to create one. It is not important for now because probably will be a fix on the finale release and I'm using other players instead.

Overall experience has been very positive. Installation was easy, the machine is working fabulous and just I'm hopping for the release of LMDE KDE arrives soon.

Return to “KDE”