Mint Katya running a vanilla KDE install

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
solna
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Katya running a vanilla KDE install

Post by solna »

so on a whim(and curiosity) i went and installed KDE this morning.

i gotta say i'm not disliking it. 4.x has seemed to be really polarizing, but i'm having a hard time finding fault in it. this is awfully shiny.

4.6.2 seems to be pretty nice but i'll give a full opinion in a few days.

visually it's a treat compared to a lot of the gnome options. also seems to run a hell of a lot faster, which is nice.

solna
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Katya running a vanilla KDE install

Post by solna »

further thought: running the full version of KDE is nice in that i've got a lot of software i can play with and test and review...

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

Solna, where did you get the ISO? The only thing I can see about LMDE KDE11 is Boo has not updated any information at all for the last month on the progress of Katya. I'm waiting to give it a try as soon as it is released.

solna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solna »

manny wrote:Solna, where did you get the ISO? The only thing I can see about LMDE KDE11 is Boo has not updated any information at all for the last month on the progress of Katya. I'm waiting to give it a try as soon as it is released.
i'm running the vanilla KDE- that is, the stock version of KDE without any of the mint touches.

really what this means is there's a little less branding across the programs, and there's no mint menu(which i'm on the fence about... the stock KDE menu isn't bad at all but the mint menu in gnome is really well laid out)

if you wanted to try KDE 4.6.x before the ISO hits the candidate stage you can find it in the software manager under 'kde full'

lwfitz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lwfitz »

solna wrote:so on a whim(and curiosity) i went and installed KDE this morning.

i gotta say i'm not disliking it. 4.x has seemed to be really polarizing, but i'm having a hard time finding fault in it. this is awfully shiny.

4.6.2 seems to be pretty nice but i'll give a full opinion in a few days.

visually it's a treat compared to a lot of the gnome options. also seems to run a hell of a lot faster, which is nice.
I did this a few months back and fell in love. The only thing Ive noticed is that the wireless is a bit buggy but I do have a Broadcom card so I wouldnt expect anything less.
The quieter you are the more you can hear............

Linux Mint 11 Katya KDE Vanilla x64

Dell N7010, 500gb Seagate hybrid drive, i5 @ 2.53ghz, 8gb ddr3, ATi Radeon HD 5470 1GB

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint Menu isn't a part of Mint KDE. If you want to make it like Mint, just make sure your Mint Update Manager is running correctly, and replace the stock menu widget with Lancelot Launcher, which was the default menu in Mint 10 KDE.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

tdockery97 wrote:Mint Menu isn't a part of Mint KDE. If you want to make it like Mint, just make sure your Mint Update Manager is running correctly, and replace the stock menu widget with Lancelot Launcher, which was the default menu in Mint 10 KDE.
If Lancelot was the default menu on Mint 10 KDE, why did I have to install it from the widgets?

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

tomp01 wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Mint Menu isn't a part of Mint KDE. If you want to make it like Mint, just make sure your Mint Update Manager is running correctly, and replace the stock menu widget with Lancelot Launcher, which was the default menu in Mint 10 KDE.
If Lancelot was the default menu on Mint 10 KDE, why did I have to install it from the widgets?
Lancelot was the default in Mint 10RC but since there were problems the final had the original menu..

Return to “KDE”