Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by MALsPa »

Interesting comments. My first look at KDE4 was with the Isadora KDE live DVD, but I didn't install it, went with PCLOS instead, and later Mepis 11 and the Fedora 14 KDE spin. Each of those have turned out to be very good but there's more of a commitment to KDE with those distros. Not so, apparently, with Mint.
Shadowfire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfire »

What are you guys 2 years old? Okay. I will admit. I came here to find out the date for release and plans for KDE, but gezzz guys, either you didn't read or can't read what the mod/kde person said in regards to your insensitive and repetitive questioning. Someone from Mint correct me if I am wrong - I won't bite Mint Dev's your head off... They are going to release KDE, but it will be LMDE verison. Looks like they are switching from KDE mint to LMDE version. I would guess it is because of the desktop war between Gnome 3 and Unity. If they go with LMDE, they at lease know they will have a stable desktop base and you pick your desktop poison (Gnome/KDE/LXDE and XFCE).

Be a little thankful that these guys are rolling the distro at all for you. It amazes me that people are so - ungracious, pushy and unstratified with anything done for them (especially when it is free). We all are here for the same reason. We like Mint! but pushing the issue or asking the same question over and over... or just being a whiny butt is just silly and unproductive. If you have skills and want to help then please by all means get with one of the Devs and see where you can help... otherwise, the is other junk isn't helping them any. Eveyone wants something from Mint. Sometime when you work on a project it's not possible to do everything and please everyone, but the guys here at Mint - I believe they are trying their best to make sure they get a good distro out the door, even if it means reading future trends and deciding what would be best for your distro. I also think they are doing a great job - It's hard enough with trying to figure out which direction to go with the Desktop war of Unity and Gnome 3... or LMDE. How about trusting them to handle this transition and getting us a great working distro we all love called MINT!

-SF-
vardsy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vardsy »

Shadowfire wrote:What are you guys 2 years old? Okay. I will admit. I came here to find out the date for release and plans for KDE, but gezzz guys, either you didn't read or can't read what the mod/kde person said in regards to your insensitive and repetitive questioning. Someone from Mint correct me if I am wrong - I won't bite Mint Dev's your head off... They are going to release KDE, but it will be LMDE verison. Looks like they are switching from KDE mint to LMDE version. I would guess it is because of the desktop war between Gnome 3 and Unity. If they go with LMDE, they at lease know they will have a stable desktop base and you pick your desktop poison (Gnome/KDE/LXDE and XFCE).

Be a little thankful that these guys are rolling the distro at all for you. It amazes me that people are so - ungracious, pushy and unstratified with anything done for them (especially when it is free). We all are here for the same reason. We like Mint! but pushing the issue or asking the same question over and over... or just being a whiny butt is just silly and unproductive. If you have skills and want to help then please by all means get with one of the Devs and see where you can help... otherwise, the is other junk isn't helping them any. Eveyone wants something from Mint. Sometime when you work on a project it's not possible to do everything and please everyone, but the guys here at Mint - I believe they are trying their best to make sure they get a good distro out the door, even if it means reading future trends and deciding what would be best for your distro. I also think they are doing a great job - It's hard enough with trying to figure out which direction to go with the Desktop war of Unity and Gnome 3... or LMDE. How about trusting them to handle this transition and getting us a great working distro we all love called MINT!

-SF-
What he said, install Kubuntu 11.10 Beta if you want to play with the latest KDE until Mint 11 KDE is released.
Amazes me that people can flame because their free software hasn't arrived yet :(
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

vardsy wrote:Amazes me that people can flame because their free software hasn't arrived yet :(
Yeah :) But passionate zeal is a core to the free software movement I think.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

I would like to say that I'm looking forward to LMDE KDE.
I'm former mandrake/mandriva user for years.
I prefer KDE, but present Mandriva 2011 is for me enough.

This time I'm running on basic Linux Mint 11 Gnome and in vmware virtual I'm testing LMDE RC.
And idea about rolling KDE version is very good for me and I'm ready to wait for a few weeks.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

tdockery97 wrote: How to make your own unofficial version of Linux Mint Debian KDE:
I wanted the standard KDE desktop that usually comes with a distro. I chose to install kde-standard using Package Manager because kde-full installs every possible thing available for KDE, a but much IMO. During the installation of kde-standard, it will ask you which login manager you want to handle login. If you click on it a drop-down appears and you can select KDM, which is what you probably want if you would like your result to be fully KDE.
I did according your instructions. It worked without a problem.

I was always Kde user. But this time for me Linux Mint Gnome is more usable environment. Not Plasma, Gnome 3, Unity.
When I compare Gnome version against Kde version I see that Gnome is more beautiful and adjust.
So Linux Mint Kde has disadvantage because it is not adjusted like Gnome version. It is in original state.
And according me it is a base problem of kde version and so more Mint users prefer gnome adjusted version of graphic environment.
braingateway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by braingateway »

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:I think KDE will be released on LMDE instead of Linux Mint 11.
The decision was taken to migrate our KDE and Fluxbox editions to LMDE. Going forward our project will support 2 desktops with a frozen Ubuntu base (Gnome and LXDE) and 4 desktops on top of a rolling Debian base (Gnome, KDE, Xfce and Fluxbox).
Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1799
What a pity! I am always using Mint KDE and I appreciate the developers beautiful work. I was a Mandriva user before, but I like Mint more.
I hope the KDE version of LMDE can be out there before the Mint10 falls into unsupported status.
Till now the LMDE seems still less mature than Ubuntu (see the known problems). But I think it will catch up soon.
The real problem will be that some closed source softwares are only tested/released under Ubuntu.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

braingateway wrote:I hope the KDE version of LMDE can be out there before the Mint10 falls into unsupported status.
I would think so; LM10 is supported until end 2012.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

I would imagine the kde version of LMDE would be out within a month or two, as "Boo" the guy that does the KDE version had to wait for LMDE re-spin iso to be finalized before he could finish the kde stuff that needs to go on it...so your wait shouldn't be that long now...
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

Well I've been around for a while now, and (and the cost of potential flames), I'll post some observations here. I've been running KDE for a long-ish time now - since the 4.0 release. It's come a long way since then to say the least. But, to the point, here are my thoughts on Mint KDE:
  • * First and foremost, traditionally Mint is based on Ubuntu. So of course there will be a trickle-down effect. Ubuntu is traditionally a Gnome distribution. It's KDE little brother, Kubuntu, has always been called "The Blue-Headed Stepchild". It stands to reason then that Mint KDE will be seen as the same way
  • * Also factor in the fact that Mint's creator does not personally use KDE
  • * Mid-range Linux users who are drawn to Mint tend to prefer "minimalist" DE's, and KDE (unfairly I might add) is wrongly considered bloated, eye candy, too flashy, etc etc
  • * Many KDE users end up leaving Mint due to the fact that it tends to be a version behind Kubuntu. As fast as KDE is evolving, running one version behind on Ubuntu's base, and by extension, two KDE versions behind, is not ideal for many people
  • * Many other distributions put KDE front and center - PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Mageia, Chakra, Suse, Kubuntu, and many others
  • * Boo is only one man. What other Distro has only one man solely responsible for a major edition? - Maybe us KDE people need to try to get involved more?
  • * KDE is a "Community Edition" - by definition, it will always be a "when we get to it" kind of thing
  • * Not to be diminished, KDE still suffers from it's KDE 4.0 debut debacle. It's a fact. We need to learn to live with it
The bottom line is, as much as I love Mint, it's likely, out of necessity based on the community demographics, never going to get the KDE love it deserves. It's doomed from the start since it's based on Ubuntu and most people here are either newbies (who are DE agnostic), or Ubuntu refugees. We'll see if the move to Debian fixes this and my hope is that it will. In the meantime, Kubuntu and PCLinuxOS in particular, along with much well-reviewed recent Mandriva fork Mageia, have established the fact that KDE isn't going anywhere. Whether here, or on another distro, I hope my fellow KDE fans find a home they love.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

If you look at the "pie chart" of mint users on the "community page" you will see that those using KDE on mint, as you pointed out, are a very very small percentage of the total Mint users...In fact, even less then use LMDE (which is about 10%) the vast majority run main edition (gnome) either 32 bit or 64 bit...

Now that KDE edition of mint is going only debian testing rolling...not all of the current mint kde users will find it to their liking...even with the new update pack system, there is still plenty of chances for regressions, breakage, dependency problems....all despite clem's valiant efforts (not his fault...it's the "nature of the beast").... :wink:

I had it on twice...both before update packs were available and now recently, with update packs...i stll found problems were developing, threw in the towel and went back to the ubuntu based mint main edition (64 bit) where i am now extremely happy and feel i have a very stable and reliable (and better polished) system... :)

I'm sincerely hoping Clem will continue doing the ubuntu based mint in the future for gnome at least...

Those of you that favor KDE may want to consider other distros (such as kubuntu) if you ultimately try and find you do not like KDE LMDE...
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@dequire

Well Said!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I pretty much agree with all of the above. I know that using KDE now I am in a minority. I have tried both Unity and Gnome 3 and absolutely cannot live with either one. At the moment I am using a home-rolled LMDE KDE as my primary OS, and have installed Kubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 on another partition so that I can play around with KDE 4.7.1. If the time comes that I get weary of keeping up with the updates of Debian Testing, I will probably reinstall my cloned installation of Mint 11 LXDE which I have set up to look and act (including Mint Menu) just like Mint 11 Gnome 2 but without the extra memory usage. That way I can remain satisfied that I can completely avoid the upcoming Gnome 3.
Mint Cinnamon 20
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

You want the honest bottom line? No one from Mint is in any way connected to or plugged into the KDE community at all. Uhm...do I really need to say anything else? Again, this is not a knock a Boo, who I respect. But facts are facts. Mint KDE does not exist. If you love KDE, this is not the place for you. I can't even begin to quantify how many people have had KDE questions here in the forums that were totally put down the wrong path because people assumed without looking at what thread they were in that the question was about the Main Edition. That's no love for KDE.

I recommend whole-heartedly that people who love Debian based systems (apt-get XXXX) move to Kubuntu. As the Virginia Slims commercial says...."They've Come A Long Way Baby".

Long live KDE! See you all there.
But that's okay -
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

k357k9 wrote:@dequire

Well Said!
I've been living it for years now. It's the truth ;)
But that's okay -
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

craig10x wrote:If you look at the "pie chart" of mint users on the "community page" you will see that those using KDE on mint, as you pointed out, are a very very small percentage of the total Mint users...In fact, even less then use LMDE (which is about 10%) the vast majority run main edition (gnome) either 32 bit or 64 bit...
Obviously...as KDE hasn't existed within the Mint Community in a while now. What a dis-service we have done as so many more people could be running Mint KDE if it wasn't swept under the rug. It is what it is my friend.
But that's okay -
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@dequire
I recommend whole-heartedly that people who love Debian based systems (apt-get XXXX) move to Kubuntu. As the Virginia Slims commercial says...."They've Come A Long Way Baby".
Yes, it is a lot better now. Why doesn't Mint just take Kubuntu, add the "low hanging forbidden fruit", add the Mint Tools, and call it Mint KDE?
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

dequire wrote:
craig10x wrote:If you look at the "pie chart" of mint users on the "community page" you will see that those using KDE on mint, as you pointed out, are a very very small percentage of the total Mint users...In fact, even less then use LMDE (which is about 10%) the vast majority run main edition (gnome) either 32 bit or 64 bit...
Obviously...as KDE hasn't existed within the Mint Community in a while now. What a dis-service we have done as so many more people could be running Mint KDE if it wasn't swept under the rug. It is what it is my friend.
The last version of LMDE was released on the 16th Sept and previous statements indicated that the KDE version would be developed after this release. Nearly 3 weeks later and nothing. Sadly I have to agree with your post(s) and acknowledge that KDE is a very poor relation in the Mint community. If it weren't for the people here I might have jumped ship earlier but lately I have been looking at other distros (openSUSE, looking favourite). I'll probable wait for 12.0 and see where LMDE KDE is before making a choice.

Sadly I couldn't recommend Mint to a friend (who's had enough of Unity) recently. I realise this is a time of flux to which Mint has little control but none of the current editions feel fully fleshed out.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
ausminter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ausminter »

You may want KDE but if it isn't reliable then what is the point ?
There has been a lot of people having problems with KDE on the suse forum and they can't really get much support for their problems, in some cases no-one even answers their questions.

The KDE developers have some work to do to get it up to scratch, until then it just makes Linux seem unreliable and many people will judge the OS on that alone.
I love the look of KDE and there are several apps I like from KDE, but I won't use it if it's not reliable.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

I've been using KDE for a while now and had no issues at all.

Whether there is an issue of KDE on openSUSE remains to be seen. I'll give it a go in VB and see for myself.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

Return to “KDE”